FFIX General Discussion

I was indifferent towards Vivi for a good portion of the game. Although visually he's the ideal mage (albeit quite cute), his MP was balls for a majority of the game until you get the Half MP ability. A couple of -aga spells would set you up for needing an Ether (which admittedly I'm quite reserved with), so I'd spend most of the battle just using Focus until casting was actually worth it. His developing maturity was quite surprising for a 9 year old too.

It was probably the funiest :D
I also don't understand why people hate Zidane so much. I didn't think he was a great character...but he wasn't bad.(Tidus WAS a little annoying in my opinion though.)
The game had my favorite FF character, Vivi. He's that awesome.

Yeah, Zidane was badass. I think the only reason some people don't like him is because he doesn't look like a member of a boy band.
He kicked ass

Vivi can never have enough fans, really. He is the best character in this series for me. As for Zidane, it shows you can do a not so serious protagonist that isn't retarded (Tidus).

Yeah, Zidane was badass. I think the only reason some people don't like him is because he doesn't look like a member of a boy band.
He kicked ass

I agree with this 100%. Never understood why people obsess over the cold-turned-soft types of heroes. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with someone mean.

Zidane was always cheerful, which is a nice change of pace. Even though he was a thief, as far as virtue goes, he's the best.

^^ Agreed! FF IX was the first FF I ever played, and Zidane will always be remembered to me as the most genuine hero. He's always upbeat and unselfish (except for the booty grab when they're boarding the cargo ship in Dali :D). He's just a warm hearted guy that can't resist the urge of adventure!

Cloud and Squall, to me, went semi-reluctantly into the whole 'save the world' tale, where Zidane went willingly to help others.

I also love almost the entire cast in IX. I say almost, because Eiko never really clicked to me. I just couldn't bring myself to use her that much. But the others I loved. I never used Quina too much in battle, but I loved the way he/she made the game funnier. :x3:

I'm replaying FFIX now, and I'm finding the start of disk three to be incredibly dull. I think until you get the Blue Narciss, it's just a case of mashing x repeatedly for cutscene after cutscene. The card tournament bores me to tears; although, I went out of my way to win this time, Rebirth Ring is awesome.

Alexander vs Bahamut is an interesting interlude, but apart from fighting Tantarian (the Running Shoes are well worth it) it's very dull gameplay wise.

Anyone else find this part of the game totally boring on repeated playthroughs? It was interesting the first time round, but on repeated playthroughs, it just bores me to tears.

What I'd like to know is why you wait until disc 3 for Tantarian, it's a lot more beneficial to do it while saving Garnet in disc 2. XD

However, yeah, it can be a bit of a bore, but I like the break after the Iifa Tree tbh. I just like the bit of a break, although I can't wait to try out all the fancy new stuff I get. :8F:

Time limit, I wanted to make sure I could steal everything from Zorn and Thorn, so taking on the Tantarian then would have been costly.

I managed to steal everything but the Demon Mail from the book too. Although, I'm not too cut up about that, since it only teaches High Tide :lew:

It's kinda like... after the opening to the game and after the whole Burmecia and Cleyra events, you expect something more than a shitload of cutscenes and a card tournament- which if you're like me, you haven't prepared for at all. :hmph:

However, I will admit it does get interesting after you get The Blue Narciss. :wacky: The bad side is that it's the beginning of Garnet's "Can't Concentrate" phase. :rage:

I thought the start of the game was boring because of all the cutscenes. And that hasn't gone away yet, there are many cutscenes. Sometimes it makes me really angry, especially since most of them are really pointless and really long.

Did anyone else think Dagger's singing music was...bad? I laugh when I hear it, but I wonder if I'm just a lunatic. Anyone else?

Also, has anyone noticed that dang treasure chest in Dali? Its the one in the small farm. I can't see to ever get to it. Some stupid old man is in my way. -__-

I love how every disc kinda ends with a big scene or some kinda introduction that leaves you hanging until you insert the next disc. You get the introduction to Kuja at the end of Disc 1 in Burmencia, the epic Eidolon battle in the end of 3, and well, disc 3 with Kuja is just awesome.

Each one builds it so that you can't possible get that next disc out of the case and into your Playstation fast enough.

Funny story about that, Busta. I had a friend who was in such a rush to get disk 4 in after the end of 3, and he broke it.

To this day, I still give him grief about it.

I miss my FFIX!! It messes up at the Iifa Tree (I used to think it was Lifa). I loved this game sooooo much, and I want to know where they play Assault of the Silver Dragons!!

I love that the characters arn't so serious compared to other final fantasy games, the main character being a guy with a monkey tail who can't stop lusting after garnet throughout the whole game, and lets face it, Vivi is pretty damn cute. The active time events were a nice feature also, being able to see how and what the other characters are getting up to whilst seperated. Kuja could have been a bit more 'evil' for the baddy of the game but hey, he wasn't so bad. I loved all the mini games from the card game to chocobo hot and cold, it was also great to see moogles come back into it. As with every final fantasy game, the music exceeded anything I could have expected, genius.

Having read alot of the previous posts I think I shall end this by saying .. I loved quina to, the fact that he/she was so abnormal was the reason I loved .. he/she!

FFIX rules... funny story, great gameplay, and overall a great game... wish square would make games like this more often :D

on the subject of disc changing, i was sooo exited to get disc 4 in... i turn off my console.. and forgot to save :/ soo had to wait another hour before i could change disc again (had ffix on my psp :D

I'm thinking about starting it up again because it's been soooo long since I've gone through the game. It was the first one I started up way back over 11 years ago, and I remember almost every detail of the game, but nothing beats going through it front to back.

I just need to go out and finish other FF games first before I do that though, like FFXIII and FFIV. FFIX though, ugh, I just wanna check out those awesome FMV's throughout the game again!

I use summons about 30% of the time. They are pretty useful in some situations. I also want to play this game again, has some of the best battle themes (boss music not my favorite)

Between Zidane's Thievery and Freya's Dragon Crest, I have no real need for summons since these two moves can wipe out enemies and bosses alike. The only Summons I use are Phoenix and Madeen. Otherwise, I keep my summoners for healing purposes only.

If I know the current enemy has an elemental weakness that corresponds with an Eidolon I currently have, I'll use it. Though I do like healing during fights rather than outside of them, so the window of opportunities to use the Eidolons are few and far between.

Sometimes I will for the hell of it though. =P

Back