FFVI General Discussion

Ah, i'm not a big Gau fan myself either. I knew there was one I was forgetting. I didn't care for his fighting style all that much, I prefer to be in control of my characters.

Same here. And although Mog has a Dance ability which once activated causes you to lose control, but at least each dance has lots of different effects so it leaves you curious as to what's he going to cast next. And also correct me if I am wrong, but I think Gau could only do Rage, whilst with Mog you could attack normally too, without having to do Dance. Umaro is another character which you can't control, and he is not my ideal choice in a party, but at least he didn't annoy me. If I had to choose between him and Gau, I'd choose him.

I appreciate Gau as a character, but I didn’t like his fighting. I loved his character theme, design, and the sad story behind him.

It’s sad in the WoR where they
dress Gau up in a suit, meet his dad, and then his dad compliments his “parents” for raising such a nice young man, but does not recognise Gau as his own son as he only remembers throwing a demon child into the Veldt and had nightmares about this demon child. It’s a sad scene, and Sabin is really angry with Gau’s father for not recognising Gau or listening to the party, but Gau is just happy that he could see his dad, and that his dad
is alive. :sad2:

I do really love Gau though. His scenes were sometimes funny, especially when with Sabin and Cyan.

I think if I was to play FFVI for a second time I’d probably use Gau much more than I had done the first time.

I appreciate Gau as a character, but I didn’t like his fighting. I loved his character theme, design, and the sad story behind him.

dress Gau up in a suit, meet his dad, and then his dad compliments his “parents” for raising such a nice young man, but does not recognise Gau as his own son as he only remembers throwing a demon child into the Veldt and had nightmares about this demon child. It’s a sad scene, and Sabin is really angry with Gau’s father for not recognising Gau or listening to the party, but Gau is just happy that he could see his dad, and that his dad

I don't remember that scene... :hmmm:
Anyway, I do like Gau as a character, I like them all as characters (Although maybe not Gogo since he doesn't really have a story) but there are definitley ones that I prefer story wise and battle wise to others.

For example, I love Mog in battle but like Gogo and Umaro, he doesn't really have too much backplot. For main story purposes I prefer Terra, Celes and Locke most of all i'd say.

I do really love Gau though. His scenes were sometimes funny, especially when with Sabin and Cyan.

I think if I was to play FFVI for a second time I’d probably use Gau much more than I had done the first time.
I love his character, and he's great in a fight too. Which is why I usually pair him up with Cyan and Sabin, they make a great team.

Anyway, I do like Gau as a character, I like them all as characters (Although maybe not Gogo since he doesn't really have a story) but there are definitley ones that I prefer story wise and battle wise to others.

For example, I love Mog in battle but like Gogo and Umaro, he doesn't really have too much backplot. For main story purposes I prefer Terra, Celes and Locke most of all i'd say.
Its not a have to happen scene, you gotta do some stuff first, if you're talking about the Gau scene.

Man, talking about the game makes me want to play again. :gonk:

Its a adorable scene.
bj71bc.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA7E54H7ShA

There you go.

I personally loved pretty much all of the characters in that game, even those with little development. Those with small development were at least interesting concepts (a playable moogle, a mimic and a yeti), and in ways I like that some of the characters were a little bit mysterious. We could fill in with our own stories that way, and imagine who they are or what they have done. Half of the fun with Gogo is guessing who the heck it is. :D

Ah, it makes sense now. :lew:

I'll be honest and say that on my first playthrough I used a walkthrough so I got all of the characters. I hate missing characters. D=
I noticed that by WoR things tend to heat up a lot (no pun intended), but Celes reforming the party was quite the awesomesauce.

Edit:

Argor251 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA7E54H7ShA

There you go.

I personally loved pretty much all of the characters in that game, even those with little development. Those with small development were at least interesting concepts (a playable moogle, a mimic and a yeti), and in ways I like that some of the characters were a little bit mysterious. We could fill in with our own stories that way, and imagine who they are or what they have done. Half of the fun with Gogo is guessing who the heck it is.
lilgrin.gif

Ah, i'll have a watch of that now. =D
I understand where you're coming from, sometimes it is nice to make our own interpretations with mysterious characters but it still irks my curiousity. D:

Half of the fun with Gogo is guessing who the heck it is. :D

This might sound a bit weird, but I happen to think Gogo is Daryl (?) because of what Gogo means, when Daryl died, where she died....all of that. lol

Crazy sounding, I know. :gasp:

I just watched that scene, it was rather sad. D:
I remember that guy though! Isn't that where Sabin originally meets Shadow? (I think.)
If you go into the house he asks if you're the repairman or something. :hmmm:

Thanks for the link anyway Dan, I never came across that in my run.

I remember that guy though! Isn't that where Sabin originally meets Shadow?

I think you find out somewhere (maybe the guy just says it himself) how he once abandoned his kid in the fields of Veldt.

That scene was great, especially how you can find out about each of the characters' fashion sense :lew:. Terra just seems like a normal girl having fun in a clothes shop. It's better when you have Locke too, since he and Edgar have a little fight over their clash of fashion taste.

There are so many missable scenes in VI, so many pointless ones too. Like when you find the scrap of paper at the Returners base and not put it in the bin, and at the start of the meeting Bannan finds it and you see him throwing it away.

They may seem pointless (and I probably missed a lot on my run) but I think it adds a little something, a little variation, it's nice.
Like when the story splits up, I like that too, and how the party members are scattered at the start of WoR, it's a very powerful device.

I also loved the Celes scene with her grandfather (? - Not sure who it was now), I didn't even TRY to do the fishing because I was told under recommendation that the scene if
he dies
is far more powerful. It is for its time, i'd say.

I missed that Gau scene too. I tried to use walkthrough as less as possible, but in the last parts of the game when there is a lot of bonus stuff to do it's hard not to check it. I am now doing the same with FFV. I just don't want to miss the good stuff.
But after watching that video of the scene, what causes Sabin to suddenly think that that old man is Gau's father?

I personally like playing as Gogo. He is probably the most strategic character in the game, because you need to time his moves right. You don't want to repeat a simple attack. You want to repeat something that's overpowered. Placing him in the right party in Kefka's tower part of the game is also important.

But after watching that video of the scene, what causes Sabin to suddenly think that that old man is Gau's father?

I can't remember if you see that man in the WoB, but I think perhaps he might let it slip that he once chucked a demon child into the Veldt. Either that or a person in a nearby town mentions it if you speak to them. I'm not too sure.

Regardless, I'm guessing that there is a sort of facial similarity between Gau and his father (which wouldn't be seen by the player in the sprites), and with the house being north of the Veldt Sabin probably put two and two together.

Yeah there's somewhere in the story that tells you that old man abandoned his kid in Veldt.

I personally like playing as Gogo. He is probably the most strategic character in the game, because you need to time his moves right. You don't want to repeat a simple attack. You want to repeat something that's overpowered. Placing him in the right party in Kefka's tower part of the game is also important.

I liked to use him too, though his stats are pretty poor.

But it's good how he can use any magic that has been learnt by any one of your characters. It's also awesome how you can set up his commands any way you want, like the mimic in FFV (you do know about this right?).

It's also awesome how you can set up his commands any way you want, like the mimic in FFV (you do know about this right?).

You mean you can give him additional commands on top of just 'Mimic' command? Oh wow, I did not know. I can't believe I played the whole of Kefka's tower with him just mimicking. :oops:

I didn't know about that, how does that work?
If that's true he may seem a little less useless to me. :8F:
Not that he was a bad character, but I just like having everyone fully controllable just in case something bad happens.

I still don't like Gau and Umaro though. :mokken:

you go to his status screen and do something, like pressing A or something. Anyways once you do that you get to choose 3 commands to fill up the empty spaces. So you can have Mime, Blitz, Tool and Throw for example.

But yeah, he's still pretty useless. Good thing is he can use any magic the characters in your party can use, so he can be a pretty good supporter/healer without having to learn all the magic (eg. if you have Terra with Curaga and Locke with Ultima, Gogo can use them both even if Terra hasn't learnt Ultima or even if Locke hasn't learnt Curaga).

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks. :jess:
I was never very good at it. xD
I kinda want to try this game again now, but i've only JUST started an IX run, so I think i'll see what I can do after i've finished that.

I definitley want to give it a try again sometime, they should release it on PSN. D:

Was just going to mention, I've made one of those character list portraits on FF6 characters, you know one of those you upload on Facebook and then tag your friends as. Which subforum/topic would be a good place to upload the pic for others to get?

I know it's probably a bad idea mentioning this, but surely you can find it online for download and play on emulators. I mean with a game this old, surely it won't be a crime to just download it.

Back