General FF Discussion Thread

I'll just play devil's advocate here and ask why is XIII not a "true Final Fantasy"?

You devil you lol. As some would know including you I could bring up the other threads but let's not open up that wound lol.

Also, I hate tutorials during any game. Developers should just have the tutorial in an options menu. Tutorials should be limited during game-play as well if even needed.

Lets talk about why we have any hope for the next FF installment. i think our opinion has diminished so far down because of two people: Kitase and Toriyama. Kitase for having a change of heart in his game developing methods, and Toriyama who is simply too

ANd lets not forget others, such as Tetsuya Nomura who thought it was a good idea to put "relevant" KH games into 3 separate handhelds and for some reason couldn't think of HD Remix up until near the end of the KH3 cycle.

But at least Nomura learned from this and is continuing to work on it. But Kitase and Toriyama are STUBBORN.

They aren't improving at all. Toriyama always makes excuses as to why his games had received negative reviews and Kitase outright says he should be ignoring them. Its because of the show-boating of the oh-so-fabulous Crystal Tools Engine that they ended up bringing actually effected their games in a bad way as they have admitted that the Crystal Tools Engine wasn't meant to have free-roam environments.

Kitase "may" have a chance of keeping FF alive, but only if he realizes why reviews are there in the first place. Toriyama.....i have absolutely no hope for him whatsoever. he has done the worst FF games...and the worst sequels to the worst FF games. sure gameplay-wise they can call it an improvement, but they went out of their way to make a story that doesn't make sense.

Its like Kitase's and now Toriyama's tradition to experiment like heck in an FF #-2 title.

Anyways...i really want Toriyama gone.....i really do....he's the one thing holding FF back. sure maybe previous FF weren't as great as the older ones, but at least you can say with certainty that they "tried out a great idea on paper but fell short of success". If he is removed, i will have more faith in SE. And replace Toriyama with Yoshi-P. because that guy really REALLY gets it. he really does.

other than that, i'm hoping the next FF game isn't made by Toriyama and maybe Kitase.

Hope is an interesting direction. I admire your fervor Razberry Knight. For me it's not about hope. I'm more of a realist by default anyway. I would like to have hope. I long for it. In regards to Final Fantasy I've gone beyond hope and just expect results at this point. I don't mind Kitase at all though. He had his hand in Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, X and Chrono Trigger which are great games. Toriyama I feel just doesn't have the skill as a director and story-teller. Any changes in developing methods I would think come from the shareholders influence, the president and CEO along with other chairman, executives, as well as the director and producer of the game at the time. I wouldn't put a lot of blame on either one of them. The company as a whole is responsible.

i think the shareholders and CEO of the company only play so much but not all of it. I think they are mostly asking "make a game with worldwide appeal" and "make a game thats meant for Japan only"....but i dont think they play roles in the details. And I've seen directors talk big about the development and i've seen directors get change of heart and change the formula that works. And this is exactly what happened with Kitase when it came to FF12. granted they weren't bad ideas, but was poorly executed in a few too many areas that it was noticeable. its still an enjoyable game.

But he quickly stuck it out. Toriyama is just the worst though, i dont know if its 100% true, but i heard he was the one who created the horrible laugh scene in X. i dont know if any of it is true. And now he wants to touch FF7. i really hope he doesn't.

Well yes it's only so much. If your focus is on the details then that's the development team yes. In terms of the general direction of the franchise the President and shareholders can and does have influence on a bigger picture like the worldwide appeal, which is "hopefully" (ha I said it lol) going to change the direction. Regardless of direction the XIII series was terrible as far as games go in general. Some people will say the graphics are good in XIII but I don't like them that much. I would have preferred the graphics to have a contrast of graphics. There weren't a lot of soft tones and textures. The graphics also felt a lack of depth and the lighting effects weren't that good either...it's a zoo over at Square Enix.

Hopefully, now at the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U era, they get smarter or at least interact with fans. And have fans decide who directs the next FF

Hopefully, now at the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U era, they get smarter or at least interact with fans. And have fans decide who directs the next FF

That would be awesome if they started communicating more so with fan and listing to there idea on what they'd like to see. It seem's that some company's anyways are paying more attention to fan and there ideas. I think were just at the point now where people have started to take the fan idea's more seriously and take them into consideration when making projects.

You devil you lol. As some would know including you I could bring up the other threads but let's not open up that wound lol.

Also, I hate tutorials during any game. Developers should just have the tutorial in an options menu. Tutorials should be limited during game-play as well if even needed.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the conversation and comment on this :monster:

Tutorials in games are often done wrong. :ffs: It's as though developers think the gaming community is full of dolts that can't figure anything out. If there's an option to skip tutorials, I always take it, because I can figure it out. The materia system in FFVII? Skipped, it wasn't hard to figure out. Junction in FFVIII? I think I remember this being optional (only played it through twice) and I skipped it both times, self explanatory. Ability learning in IX? Simple, it's not rocket surgery. I think if a tutorial level must be made, developers should play 30 minutes of Mega Man X, that game teaches you everything you need to know on the opening level. I just think that gameplay tutorials should be explained through level design and concept tutorials (Skill learning/equipping and such) should be optional, they're simply annoying when it's usually not hard to figure out. Gamers need to be given more credit, we're smarter than they seem to think we are.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the conversation and comment on this :monster:

Tutorials in games are often done wrong. :ffs: It's as though developers think the gaming community is full of dolts that can't figure anything out. If there's an option to skip tutorials, I always take it, because I can figure it out. The materia system in FFVII? Skipped, it wasn't hard to figure out. Junction in FFVIII? I think I remember this being optional (only played it through twice) and I skipped it both times, self explanatory. Ability learning in IX? Simple, it's not rocket surgery. I think if a tutorial level must be made, developers should play 30 minutes of Mega Man X, that game teaches you everything you need to know on the opening level. I just think that gameplay tutorials should be explained through level design and concept tutorials (Skill learning/equipping and such) should be optional, they're simply annoying when it's usually not hard to figure out. Gamers need to be given more credit, we're smarter than they seem to think we are.

I approve this message :monster:

If there's an option to skip tutorials, I always take it, because I can figure it out.

I never really thought about this almost as a stand-alone topic of it's own. I did a few tutorials in games when I first was introduced to the FF series, but once I had a few under my belt, I didn;t see the need for them as like you said, eventually you will get the hang of it. Maybe if it's a super complex system or something, but things like the Sphere Grid and License Board in these games was fairly simple to play through.

I always skip them too. For example FF8: the tut for the junction system is very boring and in this stage of the game you don't need to know much about junctioning... Later youlearn everything about it own your own just by trying things out, like materia combos in FF7 ;)

I forgot about the Junction system. Where you can basically have a level 6 character, equiped with 99 Ultimas or whatever, and still be hitting for 9,999 attack power haha.

I remember scouting around the Island's Closest to Heaven and Hell for a while to just pick up as much elite Magic as possible.

I really hated the puzzles in FFXIII-2. Do go all through that to get fragments was terrible and I didn't enjoy it one bit. I just wanted to hurry up and go through it at a fast pace.

Speaking of FFXIII-2, I have yet to finish that game on the Xbox 360. I got so close as to being on that huge floating maze of a map where certain floor markers switched your floor and you had to go up stairs and down ramps and jump floating bridges. I was stuck on there and no idea where to go for the longest time. That...is when I stopped playing, about 3 years ago.

Edit: 3000th post. ;)

Last edited:
500AF Academia, I think you're referring to? :hmmm:

I had to resort to a guide to finish that, because I knew I was approaching the end and I simply wanted to hasten my route to the final boss. It's FFXIII-2's own take on a dungeon level that was clearly created by a sadistic individual who decreed that it would be fun to have a convoluted labyrinthine level with abstract platforms, some timed mechanics, floaty jump controls and a surprise Behemoth fight at the end that is suddenly challenging from out of nowhere when the rest of the game had been preposterously forgiving in terms of combat difficulty.

I bet it was the same guy in charge of the Pharos in FFXII. :ahmed:

So there are a few new releases been announced for the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy XII: A Zodiac Age and Final Fantasy VII remake. What more can you expect from Square Enix? These three big projects will make history once again when they get released.

So there are a few new releases been announced for the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy XII: A Zodiac Age and Final Fantasy VII remake. What more can you expect from Square Enix? These three big projects will make history once again when they get released.

I doubt the remake will be released this year. I'm interested in checking out Zodiac Age to see if it really is better than the original vanilla FFXII.

Sooooooo, bought FFXV when it released last Fall, and still haven't baten it. :(

So I got given a free printer/fax machine/copier from my job, along with free ink refills. The catch is, that it doesn't print color.
So naturally, in true 90's kid style, I decided to do an epic print job since paper, a binder, 1 cable, and a hole punch costed me a cheap 30$ and print out all 432 Pages of my favorite guide for Final Fantasy VII. :tearjoy: Printing only took 25 minutes. Man, if I'd have done this back in the day it would've taken HOURS. I didn't even have to flip the ink drums, I ran the whole job off of what remained in it when I got it and I still have a whole new ink drum. I guess I'll save that for another game guide later on? :tearjoy: Somebody, quick, throw me Ash's Pokemon hat so I can put it on and turn it backwards.

Back