Advent Children FFVII AC General Discussion

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
For all your general movie banter!

What did you like / not like about AC? Is there something in particular you hated? Something you really enjoyed? Something that made you want to throw it out of the window? Tell us all about it here!

The main thing that shit me off about this movie was Marlene. <_<

Man she was so irritating. A typical little brat in my opinion who would stomp her feet if something didn't go her way. I didn't like the person who did her voice either. <_<

Denzel on the other hand was perfect. XD I loved him to bits! I hope my boy turns out as gorgeous as him. He had a really nice innocent nature about him and I felt sorry for the poor thing with him being sick and what not.

The smile on his face at the end of the movie made me cry to be honest. It was the first real smile I'd seen from him and just made me so happy. XD The name of his story, "On the way to a smile" definitely suited his story perfectly.

I didn't think either of them had enough of a role in the film, it was easy to feel sorry for Denzel especially when it was clearly obvious that he looked up to Cloud, and Cloud just kept buggering off. But then every time you did feel sorry for him it moved straight to a different scene and you wouldn't see him again for another half hour >.>

I have to agree in terms of Marlene though I think for me it may have just been the voice acting which was annoying. It would have been awesome if it was set in Zack's time...plus Tifa's well fit in AC. :awesome:

I thought it was all around a fantastic movie. The voices could've used more work imo. Clouds new Buster Sword was just badass. Not to mention i ripped it onto my computer. =D

I just love the film. When I saw it for the first time I had no idea what's going on there because I have never played the video game. Now, I'll try to play...I just can't make it run...I hate technology:D

The film had good fight scene choreography, but the story was a little bland I think. Also, I wasn't particularly keen on the character of Denzel.

I personally think it would have been awesome if as an added challenge, along with bahamut's megaflare, have Kodaj summon Ifrit to use hellfire.

Who else agrees with me on that part?

:ifrit:

I liked the movie a lot for its action and the whole ressurection of Sephiroth thing.... SO AWSOME when Kadaj is all of a sudden Sephiroth!!!

However, I did not like how magic had very little part in the movie. I mean, I saw like two spells ( a Firaga (?) from Kadaj to Rufus Shinra and possibly a Matra Magic from Kadaj to Cloud at the end of the "puppet speech") and two summons (a Bahamut of course, but those lizard things might just be creations of the Jenova cells sort of like all those unexplained monsters that show up after Sephiroth attacks in the beginning of FF7). Going abstract, one can maybe interject that the characters were using the buffs (mighty guard= protect, shell, haste) the whole time.

The other thing I did not like (sorta, the action was awesome DBZish) was that everyone, not just everyone's favorite "EX-SOLDIER 1st Class" could perform unreal melea combat and aerials that made me question the point of all those stairs and ladders that were the bane of my existence throughout FF7. The only reference in-game to such powers are the scene where cloud floats up to Sephiroth's mako crystal and hands him the Black Materia and maybe during the dialog right before the Final battle with Sephiroth where everyone is just floating there or moving in on Sephiroth or flying into their respective party formations for the Bizzaro Sephiroth (is that still the agreed upon translation? What about Safer Sephiroth?) battle.

Finally, I just attempted to make Cloud the non-magic melea badass he was depicted to always have been in FF7 by equiping him with the buster sword (because that was what one flashback scene AC showed him with, mystile, and muscle belt along with HP Ups, Enemy Skill (for Mighty Guard), Long range, Counter Attack, Cover, Death Blow, Double Cut. I also had Tifa along with her best equipment and Master Magic and mime and Vincent with the same and in Chaos mode.....thought they were the two coolyest side characters in AC and better have some minimal insurance just in case and because I had to bring them. And guess what.... Bizzaro Sephiroth never got close to being dead and I eventually shut the game off after two and 1/2 hours of all the Cloud melea (cough*SUCKS*), ultimaing, and whatever the hell Chaos does I could take before what would have been my inevitable pwning.

So thank you FF7AC for putting Cloud on a god-like pedestal I have no bussiness even trying to reach in the original game that gave birth to you!

"What the Hell!!"
*Ducks flying newborn clearly making a point that the stairs and fire escape are redundant*

liked the personallity of cloud the main character the best as the hero would do throws down his old mantle remembers zack and moves on the scene which cloud puts down his old buster sword and uses his new one first tsuragi

Okay, I really did not like Advent Children because of Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo. Yes I know they were kind of the point of AC which makes me dislike the movie. I didn't like the fact that Cloud was OOC. He wasn't that emo in the game even after Aerith's death, but they turned him into some depressed...thing in the movie. The outfits were better, but I preferred his original EX-SOLDIER outfit. I didn't really like the battle between Cloud and Sephiroth much and I didn't like the fact that Aerith got like what? Three or four shots throughout the whole movie.

I didn't like the fact that Cloud was OOC. He wasn't that emo in the game even after Aerith's death, but they turned him into some depressed...thing in the movie.

I agree. Cloud seriously wasn't that depressed in the game. He was more sarcastic, and had a little bit of spirit to him. (I think...) After
Aeris' death
he was less sarcastic and more quiet, but not to that extent.

Honestly I thought the movie sucked. I liked it because it was based one a great game that I enjoyed and became emotionally attached to the characters, but overall as a movie it was just terrible. The plot was boring and at the same time managed to be super choppy and all over the place. The villains who became Sephiroth and how they even became to existed made no sense. The movie just sucked. It looked great, and it was nice to see a FFVII movie, but it was severely lacking. It would have been nice if it was longer and could have been more thoroughly done. I thought the turks in it were pretty excellently done, and it could have really been a great movie. It was not however.

It was graphic than story. The complete version lasts for 2 hours, but the story is so thin! >.<
In the game, SE concentrated more about the character's lives, but in the movie, they were more concerned about the graphics.
It's really nice with the render though.

It was a pretty good movie. Great graphics and the story was OK. I'd give it a solid 8/10 (for the Complete version).

I agree. Cloud seriously wasn't that depressed in the game. He was more sarcastic, and had a little bit of spirit to him. (I think...) After
Aeris' death
he was less sarcastic and more quiet, but not to that extent.
Case of Tifa helps answer why Cloud becomes depressed in Advent Children (which was 2 years after FFVII). To briefly summarize, Cloud maintains his persona at the end of FFVII and decides that the only way to overcome his sins is by "living." Eventually, he gets a motorcycle, and starts a business helping deliver things to people from all over (Tifa & Marlene encourage him). He starts to come home less and less and Tifa notices his depression. Tifa ultimately discovers that Cloud's travels may have brought back some bad memories for him (she finds a receipt for one of his trips into the Forgotten City). Tifa talks to him about it, at first he doesn't want to listen, and Cloud starts spending time away from the family. Soon after, Cloud finds Denzel at the church and brings him home. After rescuing Denzel and bringing him into their household, Cloud seems happier, and Tifa thinks everything is normal again (upon asking Cloud whether he solved his "problem," Cloud says that the reason he brought Denzel home was because he believed that Aerith brought Denzel to him, and thus by helping Denzel, that Cloud was atoning for his "sins"). However, Cloud shortly leaves and doesn't come back at all (this is because he develops Geostigma, unbeknownst to Tifa).

So basically, Cloud at first believes he can "atone" by simply living. As time passes, Cloud starts to believe that simply "living" isn't good enough. When he finds Denzel (who has Geostigma), Cloud thinks that Aerith brought Denzel to him (since Cloud found Denzel at the Church), and by helping Denzel he is atoning for being unable to save Aerith & Zack. However, Cloud gets Geostigma himself soon after, and he pretty much just gives up after that (leading to Advent Children).

The neatest thing about the movie in my opinion... which wasn't that big, was the fact that all the original 9 characters were wearing ribbon. So Awesome! They all had them tied to their biceps and I though that was such a small thing that was simultaneously very clever.

Best thing about this movie was the sephiroth song it was epic.
And the postercard art i got with the special ed are cool too, it even came withthe movie script

Did anyone else watch Advent Children Complete? I personally loved the extension in the Cloud/Sephiroth battle! The fact that the movie's in HD didn't hurt either :busta:

I've seen bits and pieces of Advent Children Complete. :sad2:

I wanna see it so bad. It looks absolutely gorgeous!

I love the original one, so I'm sure I will love the polished up version. Definitely a great movie. I couldn't get myself to stop laughing at the stupid Rude and Reno scenes. xD

I'd definitely try and watch it whenever you get the chance to buy a PS3 or blu-ray player.

Director Tetsuya Nomura says that "it's not meant to be just an update to the original, but rather a replacement."

Not only are the additional scenes fantastic, but Nomura also switched the sequence of a few scenes so that the movie made more sense. If you're a Tifa fan, you'll enjoy the fact that she gets another fight scene (albeit short) and I felt her role grew a little.

I'd definitely try and watch it whenever you get the chance to buy a PS3 or blu-ray player.

Not only are the additional scenes fantastic, but Nomura also switched the sequence of a few scenes so that the movie made more sense. If you're a Tifa fan, you'll enjoy the fact that she gets another fight scene (albeit short) and I felt her role grew a little.

I'm a big Tifa fan. :ryan: I loved the fact she had her own fight scene in AC. So, seeing I've heard about it, I'm looking forward to that. :ryan:

The characters the movie centers around, I liked, so it won't be a let down. xD

Back