Advent Children FFVII AC General Discussion

That's a bad thing about AC, though. It seems like it ONLY focuses on Cloud, Denzel, Aerith, Marlene, KadajandGang, and Tifa.

Uhh, what about Vincent, Cid, Yuffie, Red, Caitsith, and Barret, SE? They're the original members, so what the chiz. It's seriously the biggest thing in AC that makes me cringe.

It's like they just forgot about them... what idiots.

I kinda understand the lack of Vincent and Yuffie since they're optional characters in the original game. There's no excuse for the lack of Barret, Red, and Cid, though :barret::cid::nanaki:

Cait Sith I could do without, though....never liked him in the first place lol.

That's a bad thing about AC, though. It seems like it ONLY focuses on Cloud, Denzel, Aerith, Marlene, KadajandGang, and Tifa.

Uhh, what about Vincent, Cid, Yuffie, Red, Caitsith, and Barret, SE? They're the original members, so what the chiz. It's seriously the biggest thing in AC that makes me cringe.

But you see, there are time constraints within making a movie. They still have to make money on it. Thus why you typically see movie run times at "90 minutes" or "120 minutes" or "105 minutes" etc.

Because of the constraints on how long a film can run, there are limits as to what they can actually do with the movie. A movie isn't like a video game or a novel, which can go into deep detail in the 40-60 hours it takes to complete them.

IMO if the film had added in more Barrett & co, the film would have been worse. There would have been less focus on Cloud to the point where the average viewer would question whether the film had any point at all.

I own the Complete version, and am thoroughly glad that all they did was add in more of Cloud's detail and story to it. It helped remove the confusion from the original Advent Children's storyline (namely, Cloud's change in his actions from the end of VII to the start of AC; although Case of Tifa answers this best, there are small glimpse's and explanations of Cloud's change; example being the added Cloud/Marlene scene in the Complete version). Also, Advent Children was clear from the first 5 minutes that it is about him, just as Dirge of the Cerebrus was about Vincent. As Nomura said (or was it Kitase?), Advent Children completes Cloud's story, just as Dirge of the Cerebrus completes Vincent's.

I understand what you mean. Though Vincent got his own spin-off in Dirge of Cerberus, and Yuffie was a big asset to that. So :hmmm: It kinda evens it out, even though I suppose you can't compare this 'cause that is a game, and this is a movie.

I missed seeing the others in there, I'll admit that, and I wish it had more of them in it too. I doubt they forgot about them, I just think they took the ones that were most popular to the crowd to be honest. Stupid thing to do? Maybe. But I still love the movie, though. :gasp:

Did anyone else watch Advent Children Complete? I personally loved the extension in the Cloud/Sephiroth battle! The fact that the movie's in HD didn't hurt either :busta:

i have this film on blu ray and the quality is UNREAL the detail in not jut the main cast but in... well everything is just amazing, the added scenes were an aded bonus aswell, really enjoyed. infact might put it on soon
:drag:

Hmmm, I always figured that Advent Children was dedicated to both Cloud and Tifa, not just the former. Anyways, it makes me wonder how long will it be until SE gives the rest of the cast their own game/movie. They milked the franchise so much already...might as well finish the job lol.

Nope. It was mainly about Cloud, Denzel, Aerith, and Tifa, though. And that's still wrong.

They should have included the WHOLE gang, not just the popular characters.

Nope. It was mainly about Cloud, Denzel, Aerith, and Tifa, though. And that's still wrong.

They should have included the WHOLE gang, not just the popular characters.
popular? I would have to say Aerith, Cloud and Tifa are not so popular as compared to say Vincent or Red 13. Most of the people I know hate Aerith and Cloud.
I think the movie focused around them because even in the original game, they are sort of the main characters (except for Denzel)

popular? I would have to say Aerith, Cloud and Tifa are not so popular as compared to say Vincent or Red 13. Most of the people I know hate Aerith and Cloud.
I think the movie focused around them because even in the original game, they are sort of the main characters (except for Denzel)
Nah. Denzel aside, Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith are the most popular from the FFVII franchise (though Vincent is fairly popular). Hence why you typically see all three of them at the top of Final Fantasy character lists (IGN) or just winning character popularity polls (Gamespot and Gamefaqs).

Let it be known that this movie alone set me on my path to majoring in Digital Animation. I am dead serious.

Also, I love the movie because it really does give a peek into what the characters do afterward, and I found it very realistic that Cloud & Co. would suffer from a bit of survivors' guilt. (That's what it's called, 'survivors' guilt' when a member of a group survives something that killed a close friend or comrade. Such survivors often hold themselves to the mantra 'I could have saved them' guilt, which makes Cloud a textbook case of this disorder.)

I didn't like how this movie gave everyone the impression that he was an emo, though. Look at the game. He isn't emo. Conflicted, certainly, but not a gloomy emo.

Also, badass battles = GLEE. :yay:

A few disappointments was that Tifa lost her first battle (SEXIST JAPS! *growls*), and that it focused overmuch on Cloud. I mean hey, I've no problems with the camera staying on Mr. Smexy :wacky: but there's a reason the Bahamut battle is my favorite -- you get to see everyone ELSE appear and kick ass.

And the movie definitely needed more Cid. <.<

Also, like many on here, the wannabe Trio (Kadaj, Loz, Yazoo) were a terrible disappointment. I recall seeing somewhere that each Remnant is a fragment of Sephiroth's soul and each one represents a different part of Sephiroth. Loz was the masculine part of Sephiroth.

*looks up from screen*

*Bursts out laughing*

I think we all know why Sephy felt the need to prove himself a god, don't we folks! LAMO!!!!!!

But yeah, they were annoying.

Reno and Rude I never cared for very much until this movie. NOW I LOVE THEM. Reno & Rude = awesome,awesome,awesome! And go Rufus.

So... yeah, that is all. I'll think of more later. :3

Alright. I've got a question:
Why did they change the ending on AC Complete to have Zack leave the church before Aerith? In the original AC she walked out of the church first. Why would they change that?

Added:
I agree. Cloud seriously wasn't that depressed in the game. He was more sarcastic, and had a little bit of spirit to him. (I think...) After
Aeris' death
he was less sarcastic and more quiet, but not to that extent.

I was thinking this too! He was so sarcastic during the game, it was so funny at times. I felt like he just did not have enough of a voice in AC.
I think the only thing Cloud says in AC that's at all like in the game is when Rufus gets wheeled out and Cloud looks at Rude and says "boy do I feel sorry for you!"
Just that little tid bit is all we got I think...

Last edited:
I love AC. It's such an amazing movie. I watched it like, a bazillion times already. I'm probably the only that did like the ''Remnants Of Sephiroth'' though. Loz was funny. I do agree that Cloud got alot of camera time. I know that the movie was mainly about him, but it would have been nice to see more of the other characters too. I haven't seen Complete though.

I liked it when he fought Sephiroth again.

[Mod Edit: Please make sure to add some content to your post next time. Thanks. :) ]

I just saw it for the 3rd time yesterday and I do have to say that I think it's not a really good movie but it's really entertaining. I watched it in japanese with english subs and i thought the voice acting was pretty good.

The thing with this movie is that when you get a little more in the story it goes to an action scene which are in my opinion a little too long. I will recommend it though and watch this film if you're into FF and action movies.

I've just given FF:AC (complete version) another watch, and I like it as much as the first time I watched it. This may have something to do with the fact that I've just upgraded my TV! The visuals of AC are incredible.

If it does have a bit of a downfall, it's in the lack of involvement of other characters; although I understand you can't have everything, otherwise it would be a 5 hour movie. Also, who cares about Cait Sith anyway. Why is he suddenly Scottish?!

On the other hand, the lack of character content does make the major battle involving all of them in Midgar, that much better.

I absolutely loved AC and wish I could see the complete version of it, caus ei wanna know what they left out of it. Generally I liked the introduction of the remnants of sephiroth kadaj,yazoo and loz. Having the story kick off right after FFVII with cloud going through that phase went over well for him and the movie. I liked just about every single last fight scene in the movie mainly the summon fight with bahamut was the best since Yuffie was in it, would have been better if kadaj was fighting alongside bahamut. I also liked how all the characters took turns beating the crap out of him and they kept going higher and higher xD

I didnt like loz, all the characters where good except him, I dont know why just something about him seemed boring and dull to me. I wish we could have seen more scenes,info with jenova maybe have a replica jenova come in and they fight it I would have loved that. The scene with cloud on a motorcycle vs yazoo,loz,kadaj could have been longer and better, I did like we got to see some action with clouds climhazzard limit break.

The ending was really good, I was waiting to see kadaj and cloud really have a serious one on one match and thats the ebst it could have gotten? It was still good but seeing sephiroth appear really made it better, so generally It was a good movie and the best movie for me :)

If you search on youtube for final fantasy 7 advent chidren, the entire movie is on there under their free movie section(I think).

I liked the movie. I wish they'd done a prequel which focused on character backstories rather than doing another 'save the world' story.

I feel like Advent Children doesn't add to the FF7 legacy. It doesn't widen, deepen or broaden. It only recycles everything we already knew which tends to be more boring than new, exciting, or ambitious.

Despite these potential shortcomings I thought it was good.

I liked the movie a lot for its action and the whole ressurection of Sephiroth thing.... SO AWSOME when Kadaj is all of a sudden Sephiroth!!!

However, I did not like how magic had very little part in the movie. I mean, I saw like two spells ( a Firaga (?) from Kadaj to Rufus Shinra and possibly a Matra Magic from Kadaj to Cloud at the end of the "puppet speech") and two summons (a Bahamut of course, but those lizard things might just be creations of the Jenova cells sort of like all those unexplained monsters that show up after Sephiroth attacks in the beginning of FF7). Going abstract, one can maybe interject that the characters were using the buffs (mighty guard= protect, shell, haste) the whole time.

The other thing I did not like (sorta, the action was awesome DBZish) was that everyone, not just everyone's favorite "EX-SOLDIER 1st Class" could perform unreal melea combat and aerials that made me question the point of all those stairs and ladders that were the bane of my existence throughout FF7. The only reference in-game to such powers are the scene where cloud floats up to Sephiroth's mako crystal and hands him the Black Materia and maybe during the dialog right before the Final battle with Sephiroth where everyone is just floating there or moving in on Sephiroth or flying into their respective party formations for the Bizzaro Sephiroth (is that still the agreed upon translation? What about Safer Sephiroth?) battle.

Finally, I just attempted to make Cloud the non-magic melea badass he was depicted to always have been in FF7 by equiping him with the buster sword (because that was what one flashback scene AC showed him with, mystile, and muscle belt along with HP Ups, Enemy Skill (for Mighty Guard), Long range, Counter Attack, Cover, Death Blow, Double Cut. I also had Tifa along with her best equipment and Master Magic and mime and Vincent with the same and in Chaos mode.....thought they were the two coolyest side characters in AC and better have some minimal insurance just in case and because I had to bring them. And guess what.... Bizzaro Sephiroth never got close to being dead and I eventually shut the game off after two and 1/2 hours of all the Cloud melea (cough*SUCKS*), ultimaing, and whatever the hell Chaos does I could take before what would have been my inevitable pwning.

So thank you FF7AC for putting Cloud on a god-like pedestal I have no bussiness even trying to reach in the original game that gave birth to you!

"What the Hell!!"
*Ducks flying newborn clearly making a point that the stairs and fire escape are redundant*
Yeah Cloud and Sephiroth were both a little extreme. But shouldn't they be? They have Jenova cells in them (alien cells) and they are infused with Mako energy (steroids?). So I don't mind the effects of the movie. It does seem a little off with the game though. However that's just how it was made back then. If you look at CC Zack does some pretty amazing shit too.

I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, actually. It gave a pretty good storyline, bringing back everyone's favorite villain, and made a nice closure. However, I found it strange that Cloud began to be extremely 'emo' in the film, when at the end of VII, he seemed pretty content. I don't know if he started remembering his past, the Geostigma made him depressed, I don't know. It just was a little off.

I just finished watching Advent Children Complete, and I just can't help but think that it's a giant nod to Christian religion. Aerith is Jesus. Sephiroth is Lucifer (I mean, he's a fallen angel). Kadaj is a satanist trying to revive the devil. The Geostigma Syndrome is a physical representation of sin. Cloud is a Christian who has fallen out of belief in God becoming depressed because of it.

In the end, everyone goes to a church for salvation. Denzil is given a baptism in the waters in the church, and it cures him of his "sin" as it does for everyone else. It would be odd if this were all just coincidence. :hmmm:

Back