FFII General Discussion

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
For all your general game banter!

What did you like / not like about this game? Is there something in particular you hated? Something you really enjoyed? Something that made you want to throw the game out of the window? Tell us all about them here!

i have the Playstation 1 Version, what i was wondering is if the PSP GBA ? versions are better? i see people say japan version is the best but i can read there language

This game is stupid, I hate that you can wander to far in any given direction AT THE START OF THE GAME, ad get your arse handed to you -_-

God yes. I discovered that nasty little surprise when I was playing FFII on the PSP. One second I was pwning monsters and leveling up my stats, the next, BAM. Totally defeated. Lame.

I was sooo lost in this game at the start. ;___; Like, at the beginning I had no idea what I was doing and got my ass kicked several times before getting to the right place.

Other than that, I liked the battle system, even if it's pretty easy to manipulate...

I used to be lost on the white mask part on the ps1 version of ff2 until I played the GBA version. I finally got it around, and thus... It was easy for me.
The battles are a real challege in all versions of ff2 until a certain point near the end.
plus, I beat the emperor of palamecia in less that 30 minutes (NO ULTIMA!!!) and been doing so ever since I was 12 yrs old.
What I hate in the game is that effin' pig BORGHEN!!!:angry:
The very thing that motivated me to play the game was not just because my older brother was playing it, but 5 characters motivated me: Firion:inlove:, Maria, Leon, Gordon, and the black mages!!!
(In other words... I friggin love Final Fantasy 2... Especially that white haired and sexy Firion!!!

This game is alright...

Wish the characters had a deeper character and the storyline just seems to be really heading through dungeons and collecting items, it kind of has a Final Fantasy XII feel to it. Epsically the change in battle system...

Think what liked about the game most was the battle and Boss theme music..
It must of been great for it's age 21 years ago..

This game is alright...

Wish the characters had a deeper character and the storyline just seems to be really heading through dungeons and collecting items, it kind of has a Final Fantasy XII feel to it. Epsically the change in battle system...

Think what liked about the game most was the battle and Boss theme music..
It must of been great for it's age 21 years ago..

That isn't too surprising really, the two games are kind of similar, at least in the story. Rebels barely scratching by, trying to take out a massive evil Empire. Add in Biggs and Wedge, you might as well start watching Star Wars. XD

I own the GBA version, the FFI and II pack. I think considering it was the next Final Fantasy after the original, I thought they improved on FF leaps and bounds. The amount of change is pretty amazing. Having your main character actually speak was never really done back then. Hell, Suikoden and Dragon Quest can't even manage to do that NOW. They took a chance with the gameplay, leveling each individual stat instead of levels plus you can make each character to how you want them to act. As an attacker, magic user or a mix of both, it was totally up to the player. For an NES game, the story was pretty damn impressive and enthralling too.

But I'm getting off track XD. What I really liked about the game was the story and characters mostly. I thought the Emperor was a pretty interesting character, not the best, but this is FFII, not VII or X here. Plus, with the characters they did what almost no RPG dares to do. They kill off their main characters. No worries, I won't make any kind of a list, but characters do die. It makes sense really, they're fighting a war by themselves essentially, people die. Of course, FF has gotten so huge and crazy, people went apeshit when they killed off Aerith. SE won't dare do that kind of stuff again, no doubt. The fandom for these characters is crazy so they probably can't do that anymore. It's something you rarely see in RPG's though and despite how morbid it is, I think its a cool, unique thing to do.

I hated the leveling system though. The Sphere Grid in FFX annoyed me, but not nearly as much as it bugged other people. It was just extra putsy and annoying in this game though. Not only is it irritating, but its a totally broken system. Just turn your own weapons on your characters or empty out your MP and the stats skyrocket. Grind like that for a couple hours and your characters are uber powerful. If you want to really over prepare, you can wander outside of the first town when you first gain control, level like that on your three characters for four or five hours, and you'll probably be good for the rest of the GAME.

Overall though, its a rewarding game. I'd recommend the GBA version just for the added content. When you beat the original game, you can play a whole new quest with your offed characters in the afterlife. Hard, but very cool.

The think that annoyed me was the battle system. I mean at first it was real annoying. But like it has already been said you just turn your weapons on your own characters and soon you have some uber powerful characters. Also what I was kind of disappointed and happy they never fixed was the fact that you could technically grind out your spells level easily by canceling and going back. Made it pretty simple to have high level black magic early in the game.

The game is okay, I'm almost done with it. I can see why this leveling system only exist in one Final Fantasy game. Also, the story is kind of...bleh. But whatever, it's still fun to play.

*revives thread*

Okay, I see more complaining than praising this game (which was made long ago, by the way, what do you expect?) Anyway, time to add my two cents.

Yes, I was a little stuck at first. Your only clue was an old man telling you NOT to go to Fynn. After that, I started to use my brain more often, and when that failed I looked at the walkthroughs (thank you, GameFaqs!).

I own the Origins version for the PSOne, and I passed the game many times. I've had it since 2003, and I STILL love and play the game. I plan to buy a PSP just so I could get the Dawn of Souls along with Dissidia. :)

Anyways, back to the topic. For a NES game, it's pretty amazing. I just own the PSOne version, but to come up with that kind of storyline so far back. I mean, wow.

It's my second favorite game in the series, right up there with IX. The battle system to me wasn't that bad, and for the record it was a glitch. I don't think they knew about it until it was too late.

And it was sad to see characters die during the war. You rarely see anything like that in any other FF game.

Overall, it's a great game. The storyline is deeper than the first game. Though not as great as other games in the series, consider playing this one at least hwne you have passed all others.

I give it a 9.5/10 (curse you, freakin' Imps!)

I really liked the leveling system from FFII. Keep in mind that you can exploit the leveling system, but do you really have to? If you just go along like normal and play the game as you should it's pretty fun, especially considering the age of this game and how much depth is in the system.

Being able to "customize" the characters to what you want them to do was a very cool concept, and I do wish more RPG's would do that today.

It's been ages since I played it but I remember not being able to get behind the story all that well. Add to the fact I had no idea where to go or what to do from the get-go and I just lost interest after a while.

I need help! :l Where else can I get an Osmose tome? All these damn monsters keep draining my MP and there's only so much ether I can buy. I think I got one tome from a wizard or a chest, I can't remember which, but I need like 3 more for the rest of my team mates.

I need help! :l Where else can I get an Osmose tome? All these damn monsters keep draining my MP and there's only so much ether I can buy. I think I got one tome from a wizard or a chest, I can't remember which, but I need like 3 more for the rest of my team mates.

This probably belongs moreso in the HELP thread then the general discussion (and you kinda revived a two month old thread..), but I'll give you an answer:

You can't buy the Osmose Tome. You can get the Osmose Tome from the Sorcerer/Magician enemy - whichever one uses Osmose. Just watch what spells they use. If they use Osmose, then you can win the Osmose Tome from them.

You also find a chest that contains the Osmose Tome in Mysidia Cave. It's one of the three chests in the last room (forgot what one contains, but the other contains the storyline item "Crystal Rod" and the other is Osmose Tome.) So, you're going to have to find Sorcerer/Magician enemies. They're rampant in the Coliseum Basement, and can be found outside of Fynn after Mysidia Cave, I believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To keep on topic and to not waste a revived thread, I absolutely love Final Fantasy II. I don't see why people have problems with it. I mean, sure, there's not a specific person that tells you exactly what you need to do, but after you do the first "mission" it gets pretty linear. I love the cast (it has some of the most emotionally invested characters, to me), and the leveling system is pretty fun. It's easy to "break" yourself if you just spam train. Haha.

I can't really say much for the NESS or PSone version. I played the PSP Version, which probably has a lot of things fixed and isn't the same experience as the original, but I still like it.

I love FF II. The characters don't have much of a personality, but they are still likable. Like Guy. What a lovable retard.:andry: Also the music is pretty wonderful for it's age. The town music is my favourite. It's so calm and peaceful and it gives you a sense of hope, like even though the people are worried about the empire, they still have hope. Sadly I haven't played it in a long time, because I found the game really hard and it didn't take long to get stuck in a dungeon. :gonk:Also it really disappointed me in some parts on the PlayStation version but the GBA version made everything much more clearer. Like the whole evil airship thing, was just randomly made in the PlayStation version, but in GBA it tells you in the beginning that the empire plans to make it and use it to destroy places. It's like, ... OH.. Oh !. Make sense now. So kind of think that that PlayStation version sucks, but the GBA version is pretty alright. Guy needs a stronger fanbase, he's so epic. :yay:Oh and Minwu. The first and only FF male White Sage.

I prefer the e3 its dosnt budge and gets in there good, but its really what you do good with, everyone is different

Hm...Final Fantasy II... The third game I played.
I think it's quite all right in general [ for its time very good ].

The story divides into the plot itself and its presentation. As for the plot, it is quite epic and I think many people can enjoy it [ for me it lacked backstory, just making out new and new ideas coming radomly ].
As for the presentation however it is dreadfull. The characters really don't have much personality - you can only guess who has what qualities - only Gordon seems to change as the battles go on. The death's of the heroes... I don't know... Aren't moving or emotional for me. Someone just dies, and then it's like he never existed, we go on and only some NPC's are crying after him. Altough the idea of main character talking or the key word system does the game well.

In the GBA soul of rebirth bonus, actually the script and story goes waaaaay better, no surprise - it's done many years later.

I don't mind the leveling system at all - it's quite original. You just have to approach it the right way. I really didn't grind long, nearly at all.

Altough from todays standard the game get's lame sometimes, don't forget it has many original ideas that none of the next gen FF had, like the ephasis of people dying in the war, the hope in winning against the Empire [ shown also with great music e.x. the world map theme ], it's also a game which introduced us to chocobos and Cid character.

I prefer the GBA version, it's the most clear one.
NES is okay, I guess, and the music is very nice there, but the translation... Just come on?
"-Are you feeling well?
-Lest us join the rebelion"
"Monster turning into a princess???"
"Piretes"
"Make away with them"

What makes me revisit FF2 again is its difficulty. The NES version is still one of the most challenging games I have ever played, and when I beat it it gave me such a sense of accomplishment. The story and structure of the game was very advanced for its time and it has great nostalgic value for me. I'm glad it was only released for English audiences when censorship in video games had relaxed, or we would've probably received a horribly dumbed down version like the first English versions of IV and VI (then known as II and III). I wouldn't say FF2 is my favorite game in the series, but it is still an important one as it introduced some of the trademarks of the series as well as being innovative and challenging.

Well I haven't actually revisited the game since I beat it, apart from playing the GBA remake once. It's a good game, but fails to stand out in its own right. The levelling system leads to awkward situations where you are entering battles simply to attack yourself, and there are actually points where if you save after having wondered into a wrong place on the world map (which can be easy at times when there are only limited means to find your way around), you can't move more than a few squares without a random battle, which could be with monsters that are impossible for your characters to deal with at that point in the game. That has happened to me three times, and it is effectively game ending.

For all its flaws though, the game is still fun, and I did enjoy the story, even if it did at times seem to follow the whole
meet a character, do a dungeon, watch them die
story progression, which is also in FFIV. I think the real strength of this game lies in its legacy. Up to that point there hadn't really been any other non-text game that succeeded in providing a storyline that can be paralleled with a novel or a movie. In that sense, FFII cleared the way for future FF games and RPGs in general.

Back