FFVII General Discussion

I have a quick question:

All of the walkthroughs I have read for the game state that you can't drive right up to Cosmo Canyon with the buggy because it'll break down. Mine has never broken down, and I don't understand why. I'm glad it hasn't, but it's always confused me. I'm playing the version that came from the PlayStation Store, but I don't see how that'd make a difference because it's a simple port, isn't it?

I only started playing this game last year, I haven't beaten it yet, in fact I restarted it because I didn't play it for a while, and I'd forgotten what had happened.

Did you already do the Cosmo Canyon part? where you enter it and go through Red XIII's little story and fight the GI Boss?

If you did and you got out before you got to Cosmo Canyon it wont break down, but if you try to drive pass it before you do it, then it will break down.

Oh. I can't remember. I definitely drove right up to Cosmo Canyon (the actual town part) and got out.

Oh. I can't remember. I definitely drove right up to Cosmo Canyon (the actual town part) and got out.

See, if you drive past it, then the buggy will actually break down... kinda funny... see a few sparks come out of it :wacky:

but once you do all the stuff in Cosmo Canyon, your Buggy wont "break down" anymore

I have a quick question:

All of the walkthroughs I have read for the game state that you can't drive right up to Cosmo Canyon with the buggy because it'll break down. Mine has never broken down, and I don't understand why. I'm glad it hasn't, but it's always confused me. I'm playing the version that came from the PlayStation Store, but I don't see how that'd make a difference because it's a simple port, isn't it?

I only started playing this game last year, I haven't beaten it yet, in fact I restarted it because I didn't play it for a while, and I'd forgotten what had happened.

That's strange. So you've driven past Cosmo Canyon? The way the game is designed you can't get to cosmo canyon without the buggy and you can't go past it because there is another river that needs the buggy and you can't drive past it as you are meant to break down..

I always get much further than I expect to in the buggy before it breaks down. It also depends on your camera angle I suppose as to how far it looks like you've gotten past it. Surely you can't get as far as the ford in the river which leads to Nibelheim?

No, I've never really gone that far past Cosmo Canyon- still on the scrubland around it- I was just asking because all of the walkthroughs I've read state that you can't even drive up to Cosmo Canyon because the buggy will break down, but I've always driven right up to the front door, as it were.

The battle square for sure makes me wanna throw my TV out the window. Get all the way to the last round and that boat comes in, derp and troll face to the max:derp::trollface:, and just heaves me out of the arena with its paddle. This REALLY fuels my anger....:rage:

Another thing that I hate with a passion is the Great Glacier. I still have yet to figure out the direction of where to go to fight that Snow woman, or just where to go in general. I've played the game countless times and I still can't figure this place out. Pathetic.

My favorite part in this game hands down is when Nanaki(Red XIII) learns about his father Seto and him not being a coward. That part is so wonderfully done and it's a pretty moving scene. And the song that plays really tops its off for me.

I'm also clearly in the minority when I say this, but I loved the Kalm flashback. I always look forward to that happening when I restart my game. I just love watching how Sephiroth went bat shit crazy, and watching him in battle is one of my highlights of this game. I've always found that part to be interesting and I love when it comes to that point.

Like General Beatrix, my favourite part is the Cosmo Canyon sequence, perhaps the high point of the entire series for me. Honestly though, I think from the moment you first hit the world map, all the way to Rocket Town, that 3-5 hour stretch is all the best part of the game for me. It's where the game really opens up and you can really give your characters an identity in battle;

-Your first couple of pieces of materia start to gain levels
-You get your first couple of summons, and first couple of Enemy Skills
-You get some more interesting materia like Counter Attack, , HP Plus, Added Effect and Elemental (Shinra building, I know...)
-You get your first few double AP weapons, which allows you to shape the way your parties abilities progress

In addition to all this, I really like the way the plot develops and gathers speed in this portion of the game.

Historically, my least favourite part of the game has been the Wall Market/Don Corneo bit. I just feel like I'm going through the motions with it. I really got caught out this most recent time though, I thought I was being clever letting the battle with Corneo's henchmen play to build Cloud's limit bar, not realising the second battle with them has a "leader" enemy who hits a lot harder. I came back from the toilet to find a game over screen, and my prize was to do my least favourite segment of the game again.

I disliked the Wutai area sidequest this time. It's really just a big pain, and nothing great happens. Leviathan is a good reward, as it can make Jenova-Life a lot easier.

I don't mind the Great Glacier. Sure, it's a pain in the ass, but I've found that the rewards (Added Cut and Alexander) make everything worthwhile.

battles was the worst thing !!! but did keep game play going for way longer then any game released these days, I wish they release another game on 3/4 disks, would be epic!!! btw dressing cloud up as a woman, priceless, I dont think he appreciated that xxx silent hero eh?

I really think they missed an opportunity with the ps4 re-release of the pc version. they could have actually redone the cgi sections. not completely, still retain the style, just updated them and made them a little bit less dated. that would have got a lot more people excited and onboard and would have helped fans rebuy it.

I love it more then anything now.... because I joined an exclusive club I beat emerald and ruby weapon back to back. (emerald 1st attempt/ruby 3rd) and this story is bizarre as it gets. Sephiroth and his "insanity", cloud and his flashes, and then the chemistry and dialogue. BRILLIANCE!!!!!! replay-able for generations

I just read from a website that Final Fantasy VII is #1 from the top 48 playststion games ranked by japanese players. It is impressive that out of all the good rpgs out there it is still the most favorite rpg out there. What you guys think of that?

I just read from a website that Final Fantasy VII is #1 from the top 48 playststion games ranked by japanese players. It is impressive that out of all the good rpgs out there it is still the most favorite rpg out there. What you guys think of that?

Really? I'm actually surprised it's that low. I think it would be higher than that on a EU or US survey

FF7 certainly is a legendary game, no doubt about it. But personally I could name some that trump it. Chrono Trigger, Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve, FF9, then again it all comes down to preference.
Like I said, 7 is legendary though.

No Final Fantasy VII came first place out of the 48 games that they ranked. It was ranked by 250 japanese men and 250 japanese womens. They place Final Fantasy VII at #1 .

yeah, I finally figured that out. No idea how I messed that up. Im blaming fatigue

FFVII was a great game... but number one out of all the ps1 games? That's a stretch, heck not even number one on the FF list...

So I read an article about FFVII remake, that it is one of the top 5 games most expensive games ever! Cost around $145 million in 1997, which by today standards is about $213 million. That is crazy... can't imagine how much a full blown remake would really cost, with today's graphics and such....crazy thing to think about

FFVII was a great game... but number one out of all the ps1 games? That's a stretch, heck not even number one on the FF list...

So I read an article about FFVII remake, that it is one of the top 5 games most expensive games ever! Cost around $145 million in 1997, which by today standards is about $213 million. That is crazy... can't imagine how much a full blown remake would really cost, with today's graphics and such....crazy thing to think about

It might cost millions of dollars for Square Enix to remake Final Fantasy VII with the full graphics, but think how much will they regenerate from all the copies that they will sell. Do you know how many fans are crazy to see a remake of this classic RPG? They will sell more copies than the original version of they managed to keep it as it is. Square Enix don't have a problem with making an Ft VII remake, they just don't want to mess up the ratings of the game and upset the fans. It will ruin they're reputation badly after a hard work making the game. No company wants to go through that trust me.

I know Square pulls in a ton of money during the release of these games, but from all the news reports and articles I read from them, they make it sound like with every release they are losing money because production costs are so high. I mean, I know they do more than just the Final Fantasy series, but this is there main money maker.

It'll be interesting how many copies the new remake sells and money they profit compared to the original game. There's no way it sells more than the initial game.

Back