FFVII General Discussion

One of my friends has one of the original copies of FFVII. Before it got put on the PS1 Greatest Hits list.

Chocobos...are...so...cute! I remember watching my friend's older brother racing the chocobos. Before I knew what it was, I ended up calling them "chicken-things". That's what they looked like to me, anyways.

Ah whenever my three year old nephew watches me play he always asks where the big chicken things I was on have gone to!

I do gotta say raising those Chocobo's, breeding them, experimenting with what colors were going to be born, etc... It was kinda a pain in the ass, but it was different than any other part of the FF series when it came to that.

I like how it just wasn't raising them for no good reason. You then use the Gold to get the Summon, and then race your fastest in the Gold Saucer for prizes. So I do like how you are rewarded very well for your time put into the breeding.

Ah whenever my three year old nephew watches me play he always asks where the big chicken things I was on have gone to!

I kinda wondered that myself.

Trying to catch one of those to begin with was tedious. I'd throw something, but it would still run. Ugh.

My First Impression

Some people told me that FF7 is the best in the serie but because it is way different from the more recent games I maybe wouldn't like it. I am a few hours in (just got out of Midgar) and I still have a entire game ahead of me but I would like to give my First Impression of this amazing game so far.

The gameplay:
I've never played a game with this kind of Real Time battle system so it was new and refreshing for me. I just finished FF10 and there I could think every turn carefully and strategic, but in this game you needed to think fast and still try to do the same as in FF10 only a lot faster. I think it is amazing and you really need to concentrate on the game and can't just look away for moment because you can get f*cked if you do.
I sometimes had some trouble finding where I needed to go not because i didn't knew where to go but how to get there was a problem. But it wasn't frustrating in any way.

Graphics:
I'm almost 16 and most people of my age (at least the ones I know) don't play a game unless it has the best graphics ever. I never understood it, gameplay over graphics right? Anyhow, I love the art in this game. The cartoony look in the overworld, the more realistic look in battles and in cutscenes. The game aged well and I don't have any problem playing the game because the graphics are kinda old.

Charachters:
First of all. CLOUD IS F*CKING AWESOME. :sup:
Before I started playing I already knew Aeris was going to die, what is a shame because she is one of my favourites in battle and as a charachter. Because I know, this I always have in mind that all the work I do with her is kinda pointless.
As for the other charachters which are Tifa who everybody knows as "Always number 1 on the beautiful girls in gaming top 10's", even the people who don't care about FF know her. I think she has a cool chrachter but so far she isn't really usefull in battle because Barret and Cloud have higher attack stats and Red XIII and Aeris have higher magic. I'm sorry if I forget something that makes her more usefull than I say but remember I'm not far in the game.
Barret looks cool but kinda is a $&%# (as he would say). He wants to kill a lot of innocent people to destroy one reactor. I understandd him but Jeez. And Red XIII just got in and I don't know him at all..

That was my First Impression, I hoped you liked it and if you don't or think I said something wrong please tell me.

I was going to merge the thread with the review one, but as these are your first impressions, I decided against it. xD

[Threads Merged]

Annoying aspects:
Getting out of Midgar the first time is slow. I feel maybe they made those side quests take up a wee bit too much space like the whole Don Conero part. Fun comedic factor although somewhat OOC for Cloud I believe (I can't even imagine it in my head, I just ignore that event ever happened to him, poor fella). The story picks up slowly at the start as well and it reminds me of Star Ocean 2 (I played it before FFVII but SO2 should of course be the other way around, being releasd after FFVII) in that aspect as well. The slow plot at the start, that is.

A huge annoyance factor for me is that it is sometimes very hard to figure out where to go because special roads (pipes etc.) are not properly highlighted from the background so it is hard to see how they connect. Sometimes a pipe looks like it sticks out into the air so at least I think I can't go there and I spend like 20 minutes to find another route to realize it was actually that pipe. Uh yeah. Sector 6 slums I am looking at you the first play through!

Positive aspects of the game definitely includes its strong characterization and story. The villain is much more believable to previous ones seeing that Sephiroth's motivations are ultimately very human opposed to say, Kefka who just wanted to rule the world for the hell of it. The fact the narrator is unreliable makes for compelling stories, and maybe it's just me, but I LOVE depressed main characters. The more they suffer, the more compelled I become (Shinji from NGE is like the sole exception). Torture? Evil experiments? Not a problem! I am actually kind of annoyed we never get to see Cloud's mental breakdown ever in neither CC, FFVII or AC when showered with mako for the first time... :(

You know I need play the game again, I lost too much track of time and I still need to beat the WEAPONS who more difficult than *cough* Safer Sephiroth *cough*.

I think it means that the weapon becomes stronger if an ally is KO'd. I'm thinking the description is another slightly stupidly worded FFVII thing!

Ahaha. *wants to hear Steve Burton say "Can you go do someone else" so badly* Even as a very young, naive girl that scene disturbed me. The whole crossdressing thing is done in such a charming fashion that it stays just the right side of eccentric mini game....but the hot tub scene? Wtf were they smoking? I loved how Tifa and Aerith bonded over dressing Cloud up like a girl, and Cloud got off really lightly too....if it was me I never would have let him forget it. I would have taken pictures!

That would be so funny. :tard:I would love to see/hear it too. I think I might have been inspired to do a flash video parody for that scene.

I really love this games odd sense of humor. I mean really what game nowadays would have the basses main character dress as a chick. To me this game had a tone to it that I haven't seen since.

I've always loved the storyline of VII. There was lots packed into one, and it provided us with many side stories and two (three if you count Complete) films. I have to say, though, unlike XIII...it doesn't have many enjoyable characters (to me). I love Aerith, Cloud, Zack (In Memory), Vincent, and Tifa. The others were just a little to brash, annoying, or boring for my tastes. However, 4 is still pretty good.

From FFX-2 onwards, these newer games should NOT be mentioned in the same breath as FF1 - FF10. Square Soft knew exactly what they were doing whereas Square Enix are just a joke. FF7, I still believe is the best game that has ever been made and ever will be made. The music, storylines, graphics and gameplay are still lightyears ahead of the majority of games produced today.

The only thing I was always miffed at was the Shinra Soldier figurines - the description said something like "13 in the set" but you only ever could get 1 (or was it 2? I can't remember!) I mean where on earth were the other soldiers?!?!

Can someone please answer this question for me? In Final Fantasy VII I just reached The Temple of the Ancients and put in the keystone, how many more hours left of the game do you think I have left to finish?

I ask because I want to finish the game before I watched Advent Children and I promised my uncle I would watch Advent Children with him tomorrow.

Umm... maybe about 10 ish? It depends on what you're doing. Disk two isn't very long and disk 3 is just the final battle, you can go there right after but it depends on what leveled you are/if you're prepared.

you time in game left is dependant on how well you have been levelling and have been preparing your characters (materia wise) and weather you have taken the time to level your materia, in my last play through by temple of the ancients i had Fire, bolt and ice 2 so i was well set for that point in the game, i also had the second limit in level 2 limits for the characters (I.e Clouds climhazard) not sure if this is normal or i had leveled overly, but its what i had.

But as has been previously stated, you have a while left, the second disk is by far shorter than the first, and the third is the northern crater/final battle that is easy if you are prepared correctly, the Mega-all materia combined with the Deathblow materia was effective for me in the last couple of fights as i had cloud's Ultima weapon, and when used when he is at full health, it should deal 9999 to all of the parts of jenova and Sephiroth(the one with multiple parts anyway) assuming it hits all of them anyway. If your trying to do the game as fast as you can though, try to level the materia you have, get as prrepared as you can and hope for the best.

Well if you just rush to finish the game youll miss out the beautiful sidequests that really add a sense of perfection to the game.. Just completing the main story leaves a hole in the game atleast in my point of view.. You can still watch advent children it wont spoil anything.

Advent Children is hideously overrated. I swear, they forgot to add colors besides grey at certain points in the movie. Not to mention, characters besides Cloud didn't really have a purpose. They were just put in the movie to pointlessly fight because they happened to fight things in VII. Would it have been so difficult to add introduction segments to each character to see how they're faring after the events of VII? Apparently so. Oh, but people only watched AC to see Cloud and Sephiroth pointlessly fight. *facepalm*

At any rate, VII is my favorite FF game in the series. Of course, the turning point basically ruined what FF would eventually become, but the game itself is fun. Is the story flawed? Of course it's flawed. Not to mention the addition of buckles, hideously big swords, and angsty androgenous protagonists COMPLETELY deviated from what made RPG's interesting before. Now, the music would be one of the primary draws to the game, as it would be for most FF titles. As well, Sephiroth's story is tragic, which -is- interesting but it also touts him as a momma's boy. However, if you look at Hojo as a manipulative bastard, then it's not so bad.

Advent Children is pretty and the plot could be worse but there's such little character development... Yeah Cloud is broody now but that's to be expected of anyone after the events of VII but they could have given some kind of intimation of a change in him and a hope for a brighter future...

I'm replaying FFVII right now, just got to the Gaea Cliff. Kind of moping around....even after all these years I can never forgive Sephiroth for what he took from me. I truly believe that Aerith is the best and most beautiful girl in the gaming world. I'd turn in a real girlfriend for her any day of the week, no questions asked.

I have a quick question:

All of the walkthroughs I have read for the game state that you can't drive right up to Cosmo Canyon with the buggy because it'll break down. Mine has never broken down, and I don't understand why. I'm glad it hasn't, but it's always confused me. I'm playing the version that came from the PlayStation Store, but I don't see how that'd make a difference because it's a simple port, isn't it?

I only started playing this game last year, I haven't beaten it yet, in fact I restarted it because I didn't play it for a while, and I'd forgotten what had happened.

Back