FFVIII General Discussion

So, am I the only one that can't stomach this game unless you consider the 'Squall is dead' theory to be canon? I can't be the only one.

So, am I the only one that can't stomach this game unless you consider the 'Squall is dead' theory to be canon? I can't be the only one.

I don't think I could stomach this game if that theory was true...it just makes no sense to me whatsoever :confused: or R=U, that's even worse.

Xx..xX

I don't think I could stomach this game if that theory was true...it just makes no sense to me whatsoever :confused: or R=U, that's even worse.

Xx..xX

Exactly this, both theories (especially the Squall is dead one) are just so nihilistic and depressing, they would completely defeat the point of the game. The happy ending is one of the reasons why I love the game so much.

If the Squall is dead theory is true then how does the game make sense ?

A) It doesn't explain the Laguna dreams and why they occur and happen

B) It doesn't explain why Seifer wanted to be a knight and his dream to protect a sorceress

C) What happened to Zell, Selphie and the others after the parade ? Did they die ? Get stuck in prison forever ??

D) Why would Edea use Seifer ? Why control him to say goodbye to his childhood and become her knight ? Just for a parade ? Whee how fun ?

E) What's the point of the Laguna dreams ? Why have them ?

And there's probably more. I don't think the Squall Theory is a good theory depressing or realistic because the game doesn't add up. All the questions are answered within the game normally throughout CD 2- CD 4 even they sound silly or stupid remember this game is called Final FANTASY a game; this is a video game series that has kids become Soldiers and use magic and have yellow birds that you can ride and go Kweh.

I love this game and the Squall is dead theory just destroys everything and I'm a pessimist, it's not really about whether the game is more sad or happy imo but really the game holding together, all the story, all the character development and the characters that you grow to love ending on a peaceful page. It's nice to end the game knowing that they're okay and close the story knowing the characters you love have a future with the fantasy world that they live in.

Plus it's nice when a story hold together and doesn't hold too many questions. Not to be rude or anything, but I believe that the Squall is Dead theory is for people who hate this game, can't understand the Fantasy elements even though this is a FANTASY game and want a reason to like this game that avoids the ''silly '' fantasy elements and the Squall is Dead theory does that.

If you can't handle things like schools flying or having a short trip to the moon then maybe you shouldn't be playing a game series that involves Fantasy, using your imagination and using creative and out of this world elements.
:hmmm:

The story of FF8 is dare to love and facing your fears and growing up and becoming a better person. Example to this is Squall. CD 1 he's a anti- social prick but as the game goes on he learns to close down his walls, help and care about other people and become a grown up leader of his friends and Balamb. The Squall is dead theory just destroys that message of learning to trust in others and just enjoy the now because there's no promise what the future could bring. Because what's the point ? It's just a trippy dream that shows Squall's wishes and makes him seem even more like a arrogant prat. I want to be the leader of Balamb, have the girl and have one of my school mates go insane by a evil soccerces so I can have his hot looking girlfriend.

I mean really ? People actually want Squall to be like this ? They want him to be a anti- social prick that wants to become the hero of everybody, make Seifer go insane so he can steal his girlfriend and become a leader of the school just because he's the most important ??

Really ?

They don't want Squall to be this young boy who learns to mature, treat people with respect and become a better person ? A boy who learns to face his fears about not trusting others and learns that it's better to enjoy the now than worry about what the future could be ?

Really ?

The Squall is dead theory is a dumb theory.

Last edited:
Guess I'm just a realist, then. Welp, I'll just go enjoy being grounded.

What on earth is 'realistic' about that sort of ending? I can't believe anyone would think of such a depressing end to the game, it woudl defeat the purpose of everything before it.

That's because Griever is an image to Squall. Ultimecia took it from Squall mind and summon it against him. That's why it only appears in FF VIII and won't appear in anywhere else.

Originally Gilgamesh was a boss who turned into a summon, so there could be a small chance of a return in some other form.

But I don't think at this stage that it will appear in anything without Squall now.

Originally Gilgamesh was a boss who turned into a summon, so there could be a small chance of a return in some other form.

But I don't think at this stage that it will appear in anything without Squall now.

Well Gilgamesh is a boss not an image so you can't compare him with Griever. I doubt that Griever will appear in another Final Fantasy game because it is a resemblance to Squall.

I completely disagree with the 'Squall is dead' theory. However, I do buy into the 'R=U' theory. I don't know that I could really explain why. I read an article on a Rinoa shrine years ago and it just clicked for me. Whereas the 'Squall is dead' theory just made me shake my head.

I thoroughly enjoy VIII though; it's my favorite. Regardless of either of those theories interfering with my head canon, I still regularly replay it. Heck, I write fan fiction for it and that requires one to really dive into the dynamics, world, relationships, everything about the game and expand on it.

I completely disagree with the 'Squall is dead' theory. However, I do buy into the 'R=U' theory. I don't know that I could really explain why. I read an article on a Rinoa shrine years ago and it just clicked for me. Whereas the 'Squall is dead' theory just made me shake my head.

I thoroughly enjoy VIII though; it's my favorite. Regardless of either of those theories interfering with my head canon, I still regularly replay it. Heck, I write fan fiction for it and that requires one to really dive into the dynamics, world, relationships, everything about the game and expand on it.
I shake my head at both. I've played the game many times (on a playthrough right now) and still can't see how anyone can buy into any of these theories, even just a little. :lew:

I shake my head at both. I've played the game many times (on a playthrough right now) and still can't see how anyone can buy into any of these theories, even just a little. :lew:

Yeah the Squall is dead theory I completely disregard that theory is really clutching at straws.
Rinoa = Ultimecia theory is a little more believable but I feel that gets cancelled out by the Paradox that it would mean Rinoa has gone from the past to kill herself in the future and that Rinoa from the future decided to try to kill herself in numerous occasions in the past by possessing you know who.

Well Gilgamesh is a boss not an image so you can't compare him with Griever. I doubt that Griever will appear in another Final Fantasy game because it is a resemblance to Squall.

Hmmm yeah except wasn't Madeen sorta personal to Terra in FF VI and then made a reappearance in IX and with a sex change at that! Terra Homing was even Madeen's attack in IX. Although Madeen was more than an image to Terra though. Wasn't Griever more of a ring than an image though? It would fit with Ultimecia's powers of been able to bring inanimate objects to life like she did near end of disc 1.

Nonetheless I agree with you can't see Griever been brought back as a summon now at this stage.

Yeah the Squall is dead theory I completely disregard that theory is really clutching at straws.
Rinoa = Ultimecia theory is a little more believable but I feel that gets cancelled out by the Paradox that it would mean Rinoa has gone from the past to kill herself in the future and that Rinoa from the future decided to try to kill herself in numerous occasions in the past by possessing you know who.

I agree that the 'Squall is dead' theory pretty much feels like grasping at straws. The site that I found the 'R=U' theory at, provided a lot of evidence that made sense but I have to admit that it's pretty out there. I could see why people would disregard it as well.

Rinoa= Ultima theory is just ludicrous. Rinoa would then be trying to kill Rinoa so that Rinoa's plan can succeed. But it can't cause she would be dead... sooo that theory is kinda ludicrous in my mind....

But maybe they'll explain it in a ps4 remake :wacky:

Rinoa= Ultima theory is just ludicrous. Rinoa would then be trying to kill Rinoa so that Rinoa's plan can succeed. But it can't cause she would be dead... sooo that theory is kinda ludicrous in my mind....

But maybe they'll explain it in a ps4 remake :wacky:

See, that makes sense too :P

Rinoa is not the Russian time witch. Period. :lew:

I've read through the theory, though. Even some variations of it. Most of them are a stretch, yes, but everyone wants to cover those bases (just in case it's revealed in Ultimania or something) - and be like, "I KNEW IT!" :gasp:

Any word if they are going to remake this game as well on a newer/updated console/system?

Any word if they are going to remake this game as well on a newer/updated console/system?

If you mean just a port, it is already on steam and the psn network, if you mean a full blown remake like VII then no, no word on that ever happening

If you mean just a port, it is already on steam and the psn network, if you mean a full blown remake like VII then no, no word on that ever happening

Ok, gotcha, thanks. Yeah I was mainly seeing if it was available to play on something newer than a PS1, so that PSN Network answers what I was looking for. Cool.

Back