FFVIII General Discussion

The storyline was my favorite part about FFVIII. A point can be made how it's the typical "hero has to save damsel in distress from nasty situations she gets herself into," but it works for me. Oh, and Squall is still the best developed character in all of the FF's in my opinion.

lloyd000, don't let it get you down. It's a good game, but I've been playing it for three years and I still haven't beaten it. It's a bloody tough game, I think. However, it's worth it, even though I haven't been able to beat the final boss with two of my party levelled to level 100...

Last edited:
I loved this game!

It was a great game...the 2nd FF i had played. It has a good cast of characters (The video they had with the ending credits of them, really brings them to life), Of all the FF I love the limite breaks and the GFs the most on this one. The story is good and long, lots of fun side quest and many memorable momments!

I can never say that i have a fav FF, but this one is such a great game and does stick out there!

Does anyone know where to go after you get Rinoa from the sorceresses memorial on disc 3..........

they were talking about visiting edea and cid back at the orphanage.........which i went to did but she or cid doesn't say much..........

The story is what got me, that and the schools. I love all three of the Gardens in this game and would love to attend school at any of them. Preferably Balamb Garden. I just wish I could have had Squall in his Balamb Garden uniform all the time because it looks so good on him. Oh yeah and <3 Rinoa. There's always a woman I like in these games. Always.

What I didn't like about it was those instant death moves. The boss fight at the end of disc 2 I understand but then a common enemy in disc 3 start using it and I was like :mad:

That's the only thing I can remember that I didn't like about the game. I used to spam the heck out of those GFs on boss fights. I'd just keep using them and using them, and using them.

What I didn't like about it was those instant death moves. The boss fight at the end of disc 2 I understand but then a common enemy in disc 3 start using it and I was like :mad:

I don't remember that all too well. I think I have an idea (
I think it was Edea?
) but it's been awhile since i've played. Although I don't remember any significant problems concerning instant-death spells personally.

I think the only exception would be Omega Weapon with his Lv. 5 Death, I generally take him on with a beefed up level 100 party so I always have to junction 100 deaths to St-Def. Apart from that it would be Light Pillar and Terra Break, but those are different matters really.

The thing I liked and didn't like about this game is that the game leveled around you. So it make no differance what level you are when fighting battles ect. I completed the game when my main characters were level 16 ish and the last boss was lvl 21.
I used the diablos abillity to have no random ecounter and of course you get no exp. from Boss battles.

I don't remember that all too well. I think I have an idea (
I think it was Edea?
) but it's been awhile since i've played. Although I don't remember any significant problems concerning instant-death spells personally.

I think the only exception would be Omega Weapon with his Lv. 5 Death, I generally take him on with a beefed up level 100 party so I always have to junction 100 deaths to St-Def. Apart from that it would be Light Pillar and Terra Break, but those are different matters really.

Boss wise it was
Edea
but the event I'm referring to is
when you're playing as Laguna in disc 3 and you're in Esthar facing an Esthar Guard.
Didn't know how to fight against that as if I remember correctly it was a one on one bout.

Dark shadow refresh my memory what is it exactly that edea and cid say to you?

and i didnt dislike much about this game
well i dislike one thing BIGGS! poor wedge always getting his head bitten off by Biggs poor guy.
Also the fact that Seifer and edea are only playable once yet you gain them XP
It is pretty pointless.

I think many of the problems people find with this game difficulty wise is the fact that most do not realise the game's enemies level as you do.
No matter what level you are, your enemies level is proportionate to yours.
And while the enemies get nastier and gain access to much stronger movesets as they go, it is perfectly possible to complete the game at a low level, provided you use your GFs efficiently and junction to your stats well.

The only problem I have is that you have to fight to gain AP for your GFs, so naturally you're going to gain EXP as well. However, I never found myself higher than around level 40 by the end of the game.

I think many of the problems people find with this game difficulty wise is the fact that most do not realise the game's enemies level as you do.
No matter what level you are, your enemies level is proportionate to yours.
And while the enemies get nastier and gain access to much stronger movesets as they go, it is perfectly possible to complete the game at a low level, provided you use your GFs efficiently and junction to your stats well.

The only problem I have is that you have to fight to gain AP for your GFs, so naturally you're going to gain EXP as well. However, I never found myself higher than around level 40 by the end of the game.

And that's the biggest issue I have with the game. What's the point of leveling up in the first place if it just means your enemies are going to become harder to fight? Kinda ruins the purpose of a RPG IMO.

Mainly to earn AP for your GF's, whose abilities can greatly offset this disadvantage if you use them well.
More than likely there's an enemy somewhere who gives high AP/low EXP, but I've been too lazy to find out.

At any rate, as I said, the key to doing well in this game is not levelling, but junctioning.
Some levelling will be required to enable certain stat junctions from your GFs and refinement abilities to more easily gain access to some powerful magic, and it's important to distribute your GFs carefully in order to ensure even stat coverage among your party.
After that, you can either refine cards into items into spells (requires time invested in Triple Triad), or you can sleep/paralyse/whatever an enemy while you draw countless spells from them before running away.

I suppose it can get a little bit tedious if you intend to draw a full 100 of each useful spell for each character, but in general, that's not even necessary.
The best way to progress through the game is not to power-level, and not to disregard levelling altogether, but to level normally while giving special attention to which abilities you allow your GF to learn and what spells you junction.

Of course, if you've drawn all you can from an enemy in particular, you never need fight them again, unless you need many low level spells to refine 100 high level spells.

Wow, that was a bit rambly. Sorry. I'm a VIII fan, if you couldn't tell.

Final Fantasy 8 started off with a slow start for me and didn't really take off until you arrived at Dollet for the first time. That's when the game first generated it momentum and became fun. However I absolutely hated the junction system in this game and the fact that your enemies leveled up alongside you, although I did like the challenge that posed but I still hated the junction system. I played this game not too long after completing Final Fantasy 7 and I think that ruined my experience with it somewhat because playing it straight after 7 it felt like the graphics took one step forward and everything else went two steps back. The discs were also extremely short compared to other JRPG games I have played on the Playstation.

The story, is the best part of the game, by far, though, i wish Squall had stayed the same through-out the game, all the characters we're individual and memorable, which is a good thing. Although, i really wasnt a big fan of the whole 'Dream' sequences, i found them, really annoying.

The battle system was quite good, Junctioning didnt really bother me, having to Draw from enemies, was an annoyance as it was soooo repetitive. Having to model better weapons was a good idea, and the concept of the GF, i also liked.

The musical score for me, was a little hit and miss, a loved many of the songs, but some of them, especially later on in the game, i really disliked, but overall, a good soundtrack, fitting the storyline, events and characters well.

I found that the greatest draw for this one was the setting/backstory. The game mechanics were very enjoyable if you like carefully tweaking and managing your stats/spells (I love games where the mechanics beg to be abused to make the experience easier). The characters started out a little rough, but improved and grew as things went on.

The world, the subtle aspects of it, and the interplay of the past and present (Laguna was my favourite character far and away) made for a memorable experience. The one part of the game that cemented my love for the setting was the raid on the TV station. Well, just before the raid on the TV station. You see a screen with red text on solid black, and if you look close, it reads "I will never let you forget about me. I am alive here. Bring me back there." That moment was when I knew there was a lot more going on than the typical "beat the evil monsters/bad guy." Who doesn't enjoy a little nightmare fuel now and again?

And that's the biggest issue I have with the game. What's the point of leveling up in the first place if it just means your enemies are going to become harder to fight? Kinda ruins the purpose of a RPG IMO.

My thoughts exactly... Thats what I didn't like about ffviii.. The lack of motivation to improve your lvls.. Loved the story and music though...

ffviii is a weird game..Its one of those you have to be in a certain mood for to play it.. I bashed it the entire way through but then about a couple months after finishing I have a weird craving to want to play it again lol..

Really? Wouldn't you rather have a challenging battle other than just having a boring one? I mean it's not like the monsters leveling up become super hard especially if you know how to use the junction system effectively. I think it adds more of a challenge in this game ^_^ Plus the point of them leveling up allows you to gain access to stronger magic in Drawing and obtaining rare items for leveling up weapons. The monsters honestly don't get that hard to fight if they level with you. It actually prevents people who like to grind levels to beat a boss to have a bit of a challenge so they won't just breeze through the game yaknow?

I agree, and with this game I thought the was really the only thing that challenged you. The puzzles werent that hard ,nor were the bosses, and the only real challenge you had was the enemies leveling up with you. The only way you could grow stronger than you enemies was by drawing and junction stronger magic, which usually happened eventually anyways...

Really? Wouldn't you rather have a challenging battle other than just having a boring one? I mean it's not like the monsters leveling up become super hard especially if you know how to use the junction system effectively. I think it adds more of a challenge in this game ^_^ Plus the point of them leveling up allows you to gain access to stronger magic in Drawing and obtaining rare items for leveling up weapons. The monsters honestly don't get that hard to fight if they level with you. It actually prevents people who like to grind levels to beat a boss to have a bit of a challenge so they won't just breeze through the game yaknow?

Back