FFVIII General Discussion

I loved this game, beat it when I was 9 with no problems or codes. It's easy when you know which magic is stronger...and when you have billions of hours to do nothing but draw and refine magic...

Final Fantasy 8 Rant.

Final Fantasy 8 is my favorite FF game because it is a romance story more then a adventure tale with two main characters that act quite naturally to the events of their past.

Squall is the cold, introvert man who has suppressed the past where he lived at a orphanage waiting alone for the return of Ellone. When she did not return he grew only inward and became more goal focused and less focused on relations.

Rinoa is the warm extrovert woman who also has sorrow in her past, a mother who died early, a father who she doesn't get along with. She is just as goal focused as Squall but not on the prize of social interaction. Being social is her way to success, the dance where she came only to speak to Cid and he agrees to help her, Timber where she seems to be a admired person.

Squall is admired only for his strength and skill while she is admired for her charisma. She is a leader because she can persuade people into following her, does this to Squall. He is a leader because he gets the job done; that is why Cid gives him command over the Garden, even if Squall dislikes it he takes the responsibility. In the end he also takes responsibility for Rinoa's well being to the degree were he does reckless things, something rare for him in the game.

Sqall is also given responsibility over the world, he does not take it. It is something at first pushed on him but once Rinoa becomes a Sorceress he is truly determined to save her, the world is of second importance. Relating back to the Sorceress and her Knight, Rinoa is the Sorceress and Squall is her Knight. Edea also had her Knight, Seifer. Ultimecia had Griever. But none of the other couples are as strong as Rinoa and Squall.

Yeah, I really like this game.

FF8 is awesome love the romantic story between squall and rinoa has so much in depth and it's just a lovely story but i found the junctions system proving to be quite difficult so i'am in the process of playing it again anyway squall and seifer ownnnn

This is a post count section, so you need to make your posts a bit longer... and relevant to the topic. This is FFVIII discussion, not FFVII. Check the rules on spam if you need some help :3

Final Fantasy VIII, safe to say, is my second favourite of all of the main Final Fantasy games, so I have gotten a good lot of entertainment out of this game, undoubtedly. :D

The cast of characters were pretty good, but I really don't like that it lacked a totally unique character, they were all completely human, there wasn't some other interesting character or two, while Final Fantasy VII had Nanaki, one of my favourite characters of all time (second favourite character). >.>

Do you think that character had anything to do with why they stuck with all humans for the party members in FFVIII? Just a curious question. I doubt it, but these kind of things stay on my conscience for a while, I have to get it out there. xD

Wen I played through this, I wasn't a big fan of this game. I had just gotten done playing FFVII, FFX, and FFIX, so I was expecting something super awesome, but wasn't drawn into the characters like I was with the other games.

Now however, years later, I find myself wanting to eventually go through this game again more than any other for some reason. Maybe I just flew through it too fast to pick up on everything or give it time, but I'm feeling the need to refresh my memory of the game and give it one more chance.

I thought I had posted here!?!?!?! SHOCKING!!!!

Well, I adore FFVIII. It was my first ever RPG and my first Final Fantasy experience and I still love it. The only fault was the tiresomeDraw system, but looking bgeyond that was a great romantic adventure story with great characters and amazing OST. The game has so much reply action IMO and it still gives me goosebumps watching the opening FMV. A masterpiece 10 years on, truly an incredible game and ranks higher then any other RPG for me.

With FFVIII, you need to know how to exploit the system. A few months ago, I would have been one of the many who would complain about endless drawing.

The Junction system is brilliant, but drawing is tedious and downright awful. The best way to get magic is to refine items, and this is where it starts to get fun.

Triple Triad is the best mini game in the entire series, in my opinion. Playing Triple Triad to get cards to refine for magic is a brilliantly fun idea, I could play that game for hours on end, it's wonderfully fun.

Slap on Enc-Non and the game is a breeze, I like playing it for the storyline, and then with the magic and items I've refined from cards, I can get all the ultimate weapons and kick all the bosses into touch. It's a great game, you can grind without having to fight craploads of random battles.

FFVIII was the game that got me hooked to FF and RPGs in general. I borrowed it from my brother when I was about 12, and never gave it back. I ended up with a greater intrest in FF then him in the end.
FFVIII has a cast of totally unique characters and a great story line. Also a tonne of hidden extras that I just keep finding. Pretty deep for a PS1 game.
As with most female fans, I love the Squall/Rinoa love story, the classic hate to love arc.
Playing it now, the graphics are awful, but it's a tribute to the storyline that after about 10 minutes of gameplay it doesn't bother me.

FFVIII was my second my FF and probably my second favorite in the series if you don't count all the VII spin-offs.

I agree with Relient that this is a good beginner FF because the Junction System is so cheap once you learn how to use it. I admit it is a bit tedious though. I mean sometimes griding and leveling up your characters gets old in itself, but then they have to tack on drawing spells from enemies and after all that hard work you have to make a choice between boosting your stats or using the spells.

The story was pretty good though.

The story was pretty good though.

I dont know why but l find that last bit funny lol.....?

This was also my first FF outing, and l was 17 at the time so it was like "yeah l'm seed man!" it was great, and to this day l crave fully functional Gunblade to "play" with.....

Not until FFX was FFVIII replaced as me No1 game but l still remember falling asleep to the Balamb Garden music ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
:highfive:

Drawing spells was the best part. I could sit there for hours and draw speels while my enemies barely scratched me. Hehe I sat and drew Esuna from biggs and Double from Elvoret until I had 100 for each char.

l cant stay away!

just have to keep posting. Today l'm gonna express my thought on the Auto abilties this game was my 1st use of abilities like auto protect, auto shell Auto haste and the like and each time a new FF game is released these are some of the first things l look to aquire

This game makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :) Its the nostaglia (sp) feel I get from it. All I complain about is Draw, grrr!!!! Really hate Drawing alot, each of my characters have to have 100 spells each if I can get it.

I am pretty sure I saw some kids playing FF8 in the movie Charlie's angels. You know what was fail about it? They were both using controllers but if you looked at the TV, it was just Squall using that Draw ability (I think, I have barely played this game, just wanted to mention it)
dear charlies angels producers, FF8 is NOT a two player game and the kids will NOT be treating the controller like a steering wheel and button mashing when all they were doing was choosing Draw for Squall to use. that is all.

Yeah the kids were fighting gratts i in BALAMB Garden L saw that about 8 years ago and thought WTF they playin FFVIII.....and then Drew Barymore fell out the top window naked and they rushed over to see it.....kids huh?

Good call back.

WTF??!?!?!?! Seriously??? I had no flipping idea, what complete and utter morons. How bout you try and play the game before you use it you twits!!!

Yeah that cameo appearance by FFVIII in Charlie's Angels is hilarious (especially the fact both kids are meant to be playing it and it's not two player as someone said) - but then film and TV is rarely renowned for depicting the playing of video games accurately!

WTF??!?!?!?! Seriously??? I had no flipping idea, what complete and utter morons. How bout you try and play the game before you use it you twits!!!

Calm down lady! gee it should'nt get you that irate lol

Thats the only time Ive seen FFVIII on mainstream media apart from the FFVIII release adverts......On SBS......strangely enough a TV station with nude wown o it aswell at the same time :hmmm:

Calm down lady! gee it should'nt get you that irate lol

Thats the only time Ive seen FFVIII on mainstream media apart from the FFVIII release adverts......On SBS......strangely enough a TV station with nude wown o it aswell at the same time :hmmm:

Lol, Im not being deadly serious. I just get peeved at people who dont bother to research stuff before they use it. 8 is my all time fav game and seeing it misused is just stupid.

Back