FFVIII General Discussion

This game was the weakest in my personal opinion just because I feel like Square was trying too much to make another FF7. this game is too much like FF7, and I understand that it was completely overshadowed by FF 7, but they could have atleast changed things around. Instead they tried to hard to out-do FF 7 by having their "soldier" type characters, and having their "Sephiroth" type character. I was dissapointed....and also the leveling system, I don't like how the enemy gets stronger as you get stronger, I like it when I can lvl up and become strong and own all the bad guys....but that's just me... I thought that FF 8 was a weak game trying too hard to live up the the FF 7 name.

I'm going to repeat my post I made in another thread but add a bit more to it.

Wait what? "Soldier" type bad guys and a "Sephiroth" type bad guy? Where do you get that? o_O They had the Galbadian Army being controlled by a Sorceress after them, but the main villain was Ultimecia and she's NOTHING like Sephiroth. How do you figure a Sorceress is anything like him? Ultimecia was a Sorceress from the future who took over Edea's body and made her do the terrible things she did the first two disks. She the possessed Rinoa in the 3rd disk. I can't see how you get that it was too much like FFVII. The Seeds were nothing like Soldier, the Galbadian Army was nothing like Soldier either. I'm currently replaying FFVIII and I'm sorry but I fail to see those similarities. FFVIII also is A LOT more futuristic than FFVII. I don't remember characters flying off into space. I don't remember there being a city like Midgar in FFVIII, etc...So I'd like to know exactly where you see the similarities.

You're completely right. I was reffering to Seifer as the "Sephiroth" type bad guy, and the soldeirs in blue outfits as the "Soldier" type bad guys. Other than that, The game was different in it's own way. I'm just upset about how the battle system works out. I suppose I'm only pissed because I was never able to actually fully complete the game. I got to the last boss and failed, and quit. I plan to start a new game here in the next month or so. but I have to get my PS3 back first. Once I start a new game and beat it fully, then I will reply on these forums, but until then, I'm done with FF 8 threads for now.

But Seifer was nothing like Sephiroth. He was studying to be a Seed just like Squall and the rest of them, but he never made it in. Instead, he ended up being brainwashed by Edea/Ultimecia. He certainly didn't have long, silver hair or wield an overly long katana. Seifer was very brash, arrogant and allowed himself to be controlled by Ultimecia. I can understand you hating the battle system, but that doesn't make the game anything like FFVII.

Well... Just thought I'd say that they do go into space in both games. However FFVIII expands on that by doing more than going up in a rocket, ejecting and coming straight back down again. (I still think that entire part was a bit pointless. :P)

As for similarities to FFVII... All I can really say is; "huh?"

If there were any similarities between Sephiroth and another main antagonist it was have been with Kefka from FFVI. As well as Aerith and Terra. Ultimeca never came across as a Sephiroth-clone antagonist to me. She was a unique one in my opinion. She wasn't a empress with a huge... well... empire backing her, nor was she a genetically modified maniac or a being of general "darkness".

She was someone who, we can only assume, had a terrible live becoming more and more isolated as she was hunted down. This, of course, would have been started because of Balamb Garden. Someone in the Garden would explain what happened to a civilian, who would then tell their friends and it would spread like wildfire.

And because of people experiencing Edea, as well as the just general ease of using magic in their world, they'd believe it. This would undoubtedly instill fear in them and over time they'd begin hunting her down as the fear grew, thus "creating" Ultimecia again.

Or at least, that's one of the many theories. xDD But that's not a Sephiroth clone. Sephiroth was a genetically modified child who eventually found out of it, went insane, thought of Jenova as his "mother" because of the Jenova cells put into hit, and came to consider himself an Ancient. Basically... He was just a nut case, albeit a very strong one with a cool sword.

Now, as for the Soldier link, I can sort of see where you're getting it from with SeeD. However, there's at least one major difference;

SOLDIER - An elite military force own and run by a major company to act more as its defences.
SeeD - Mercenaries trained and living in their respective Academies.

Notice the difference? Mercenaries against an actual military forces? SOLDIER really was just there to guard Shinra and remove any obstacles (like in the WuTai war) that they had. SeeD don't actually have a "side" to choose, until Ultimecia comes. They are simply mercenaries working for the highest bidder.

And if you were talking about the Galbadian army... Well, to be honest, I just don't see it. They're just like any other army. If you were to say they were a SOLDIER rip off, then you could also say SOLDIER were just ripped off of every other army in every other game, and in reality.

In conclusion, FFVIII doesn't borrow elements from FFVII. Rather FFVII appears to possibly borrow elements from FFVI.

EDIT: Oh... I got ninja'd... Damn. Editing now.

So... Siefer as Sephiroth eh? As Rinoa said, Siefer was arrogant and very aggressive in his personality from the start. Sephiroth was a calm and collect person by nature and only turned aggressive when he went insane.

Then, also as Rinoa said, Siefer was brainwashed into an antagonist, whereas Sephiroth choose to be one after he found out about his birth and genetic modification. Plus there's the aesthetic difference;

Seifer - short blonde hair, white clothing and a gunblade.
Sephiroth - long grey/silver hair, black clothing, katana.

Last edited:
all in all it was a great game i think... Squall was cool but you gotta love Zell and most of all his limit break loved it too much. The music was awesome, if i could get it to work on my ps3 then i would be playing it right now.

Never played the game, but from what I can tell based on playing Dawn of Souls FF2 for a short time w/out knowing how the tomes worked (I at first only used them in battle instead of to teach spells..... might be a fun challenge to go through the game like that except for those who already have magic: Minwu and lesbo pirate Layla) I think I have grounds to infer SE borrowed some of the magic system of FF8 from the "real" FF2.

Would very much like to read your thoughts on this.... and get some better laymens terms on the GF system than wikipedia provided.

The Magic system is nothing like FF2's o_O FF8 relies on a draw system, taking magic from the enemies and stockpiling it up for later use whereas FF2 requires "Tomes" be used on characters so that they can use magic and unless the magic is discarded it never runs out unlike FF8's system.

I really don't see how you can infer that SE borrowed an idea from FF2 in their FF8 Magic System.

Just getting back to Danny on this....and anyone else who has questions on my thoughts. The reason I say that the magic systems of 2 and 8 are similar is that both games have an "itemized" magic system. In FF2 you are capable of learning magic as otherwise because of the lack of a conventional Level-up system one could never become better at casting magic. The connection between the two is that magic is or can be specific units. I can use a tome (that's minus 1 fire VII or whatever from my inventory) just as I can cast 1 fire magic from my inventory. Also, to Danny's complaint that you can draw magic from enemies in 8, I have to say that "abilities" were not available this early in the series, but many enemies dropped tomes and tomes can be purchased which relates to the magic stones mentioned in FF8's guide book (which I'm not sure can be purchased, the main point being is that they can be acquired as items in battle but refined into usable magic).

Lastly, FF games tend to keep themselves in a circle of generally and most often great ideas but not always original ideas (THEY BORROW FROM EACH OTHER). FF8's GFs are said to be largely inspired by the impact on stat and magic development that FF6's Espers had. I just thought, well why not the idea of magic as an exhaustable commodity as tomes allowed for such a thing in FF2. Why just now I thought Maybe the Espers of FF6 borrowed some from FF2 because by mastering a magic one can cast a far stronger spell than that from a tome but when one is just learning the magic and is not as proficient in casting the tome is superior just as suggested many times in a somewhat famous Final Fantasy VI Battle Tactics Guide by Djibriel some Esper's summon attacks (largely the elemental ones) are weaker versions of the level 2 or 3 magics that are immensely useful before learning the said magics.

Contradictions and expanded thought welcome!

My first FF game and the one I think the most about.....yknow stuff like
"oh that's like FF8" or "this person sounds like Squall". One of the better adventures I played back in the day, not as fun as FF7, but you can't say its more "mature" I would say FF7 & FF8 storylines have the same kind of implications.

In the end of the game I think there were not enough playable characters
even though there were 11 playable chracters you were only left with 6 alot less than the other FF games.

Apart from that FF8 represents an excellent balance of story, adventure and combat....a great game for its time?

Final Fantasy VIII is the only FF that I have the hard time with it. I'm now in Ultimecia Castle and it's really hard to beat all those boss fights. I need to level up more and then I'm going to beat the game.

Just wanted to add an observation. I restarted FF7 and I was playing through Corneo's mansion without being the one to get picked by him. Anyway what this has to do with FF8 is that I fought Corneo's Lackey enemies, and from what I could tell they used a fully functional gunblade not unlike Weis the Immaculate from DoC.

So what do you guys think? Is this the true first appearance of the gunblade in the FF series?

Okay, :gonk:

So I've recently started a New Game on Final Fantasy VIII, I've never finished it myself. My mom's a big gamer, and finished it, but I don't think she did it without codes. EITHER WAY.

I'm playing it without them, >.> Cause that's what the game is for. But I'm already annoyed with the Junction thing. I don't get it, and get frustrated and confused. :wacky: I'm too impatient to sit down and go properly through it.

It's a hard game. :gasp: I'm about to go to Timber I think, for the mission with the Forest Owls. I hope I don't die a billion times again. :awesome:

LockhartAvenue If you are just heading to the Train part...>Just in case you don't want it spoiled<
then I believe the boss there is weak against Phoenix Downs it makes things a LOT easier to just use one on him

I can't play this game My discs are all screwy but I think I'll try again, Seing this thread amped up my nostalgia of it and now I wanna play :)

It's sad, really. I wanted to start playing FFVIII again, but now I can't find it.........
I feel pretty nostalgic right now, what with all the memories of this game rushing back. I need to find it again.........think I was in Deling City when I stopped last time, near the end of disc 1. *sigh*.....memories.

Just download a PC version... I hadn't played the game for... jeez, must've been 6 years, until I finally got a craving for it only to realize that my old PS2 is borked. Thankfully it dawned on me that I could play it on my computer and whoo hoo, here I am at the beginning of Disk 3. ^_^

i didnt like this game so much... and thats couse the story are very random and that makes it difficult to like it. i hated the draw system... it was like hey a boss soon im just gonna run around for 15 minutes drawing magic. but outherwise its quite good i like the character design and theyre personalities

Just download a PC version... I hadn't played the game for... jeez, must've been 6 years, until I finally got a craving for it only to realize that my old PS2 is borked. Thankfully it dawned on me that I could play it on my computer and whoo hoo, here I am at the beginning of Disk 3. ^_^

I actually could do that, and have considered on numerous occasions. *Sighs*....it may sound ridiculous, but it won't feel the same for me. I've been playin' FFVIII on the PS2 for as long as I can remember. Besides, I can't just leave that game lyin' around, or else it could be years before I find it again.

I actually could do that, and have considered on numerous occasions. *Sighs*....it may sound ridiculous, but it won't feel the same for me. I've been playin' FFVIII on the PS2 for as long as I can remember. Besides, I can't just leave that game lyin' around, or else it could be years before I find it again.
Oh it's not something you'd have a hard time getting used to. Keys can be reassigned to your liking, and it comes with a bonus of the Chocobo World game (though I haven't checked that out myself yet). Only bad thing is the apparent lack of a soft reset. =\ Either that, or I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

You know, I've NEVER played a PC game before, so, yeah, it could take me longer than most people......just not used to it.......key change could help though.

On another note, I've never heard of Chocobo World before. It's like a new addition to FFVIII, right? What are supposed to do? Play as a chocobo?

Back