Kuja...Female?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
I've heard from several places that in the original Japanese version of FFIX Kuja was indeed Female, however, American and European censors changed it's gender to male because they were homophobic over Kujas lust for Garnet - the whole "Canary" thing.

What do you guys think? do you have any sources to back you up?

Discuss :D

well if he wasnt Male in the Japanese before, he is now. In the Dissidia Trailer Kuja's voice was very manly and deep, and it reminded me a lot of Sephiroth's

Eh, Kuja's probably a hermephrodite, he could go either way.

I have no idea where these ludicrous ideas come from. I think it's all insecure people who can't handle the idea of a man being effeminate. He's a man and was always a man. It's called Bishounen and is extremely common in Japanese culture. It's the concept of a man's attractiveness/beauty going beyond a gender distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishōnen

It's something that I've heard before, but all they are is stories.
To be honest, I've never understood why people thought Kuja was female. I noticed it from the start that he's male, but just a bot effeminate.

Well they changed Sailor Nepture and Sailor Uranus to cousins in the American and European versions of the show instead of them being lesbians.

So its possible Kuja's sex could have been changed from female to male. He does have a female air about him and in some Japanese screenshots, I believed him to be female before the game was released.

i guess its POSSIBLE that this could have happened but i think its just the people out there that are like "ZOMG KOOJA IZ GEY HES A GURL LOLOLZ!!" being stupid and making up theories. but like i said, it is possible since there are apparantely other instances of this happening.

I've heard about this as well but there I can't find anything to back this up. I would have expected Wikipedia or something to at least mention it but doesn't. If he was female in the original Japanese version then there would definitely be available sources.

I have no idea where these ludicrous ideas come from. I think it's all insecure people who can't handle the idea of a man being effeminate. He's a man and was always a man. It's called Bishounen and is extremely common in Japanese culture. It's the concept of a man's attractiveness/beauty going beyond a gender distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishōnen

Yeah I agree with you here, a lot of Japanese male fictional characters like in anime are really feminine. They'd get a shock when they meet the traditional British Bald Builder.

And I quote from a dubbed FF video on Youtube:

Kuja - "Whattt? I'm a guy!"
Zidane - "Jessica Alba looks more manly than you!"

:lol: Sorry had to throw that in rofl..

American and European censors changed it's gender to male because they were homophobic over Kujas lust for Garnet - the whole "Canary" thing.
you mean the part where he put Garnet to sleep in Alexandria castle with Queen Brahne? when he embraced her and said she's beautiful even while asleep? he may look like a girl there but I don't see anything lesbianic with it. why would that be a reason to change his sex? interesting though. It could be possible since he's androgynous but first I wanna see a proof.

even FF wikia doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Yeah, this rumor has been going around for some time. I would say it probably started out as a joke and later escalated into something that people thought had some actually credibility for whatever silly reason.

Really, you don't have to so much as look at Kuja's original design and CG model to realize he was quite clearly always intended to be male. Marilyn Manson looks more feminine then he does.

Last edited:
Well they changed Sailor Nepture and Sailor Uranus to cousins in the American and European versions of the show instead of them being lesbians.

Well, they tried to, anyways. They just wound up making them incestuous lesbians.

But yeah, Kuja is not among the ranks of those whose gender was bent in translation. He was a He in the Japanese as well.

Well where ever I look Kuja is referred as a he, but looking at his body he definately looks like he has a females body.

Maybe he is just very lean and slender, i mean c'mon, he is from a different planet after all!

Yep agreed he is from a different planet and therefore can be half male/female.

Theres no need for that language. SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be so fucking ridiculous.

There'll always be a 'pretty' boy in the world whether you like it or not, and Kuja is no exception to that. Alright, so he was actually created this way, but is it so hard you people to accept that he has the slightest ounce of femininity in his character? Jesus Christ, grow up guys.

Wikpedia can't be trusted all that well, as a havey based fan could have just made that. I can easily believe Kuja was female in the orginal Japense version. Because of sensorship laws many things that come to the U.S. get changed or just never came out. Flame of Recca for example because of some flashing that occured mainly in the begining we will never see it. So if Kuja remained female in the game, just the way he acted towards Garnet most like would have been considered lesbianism. So instead of banning a FF game which would have cause way to much of an uproar the developers make Kuja a male for the American release.

Back