Kuja...Female?

I highly doubt that Kuja was originally female in the Japanese version. He is clearly male, even the FMV's showed that. He has no boobage at all.

Also, I give you this: http://www.tagalog-dictionary.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?s=kuya

KUYA means "older brother" in Filipino. KUJA might be pronounced "Koo-jah" with a harsh "j", or "Koo-yah" with a soft "j", like the Filipino word. I think this is pretty obvious that Kuja was always Zidane's "older brother".

The fact is if there was any truth in the rumour there'd be some info on Wikipedia about it or something. But there's nothing as far as I can see. It's just a rumour and I don't see anything to back it up.

For Christ's sake, i can't believe this thread is still going. Kuja being a girl is a RUMOR, there is absolutely no proof supporting it.

I highly doubt that Kuja was originally female in the Japanese version. He is clearly male, even the FMV's showed that. He has no boobage at all.

Haha, i was going to say the exact thing but you beat me to it. And before any of you go "well mebbeh he's one of those small chested girls", NO. He's a man. And chicks almost always have HUGE boobs in anything Japanese. And look at the Amano drawing of Kuja, there is plainly no boobage there.

And before you people say "BUT HE LOOKS LIKE A GRL IN AMANO'S PIC", well duh he does. Everyone looks like a girl in Amano's drawings, including Zidane.

And for those of you who say he has a girl's body...um...SO WHAT? That doesn't mean shit. As a matter of fact, MY figure is like that of a girl. I'm not bulging with muscles, i have a slightly toned but slender stomach, and the rest of me is the same way. That doesn't make me a girl, it's called having a different body type. Ask me for a picture if you don't believe that a guy can have a girl's physique and i'll gladly take one.

If anyone can actually come up with the slightest shred of proof indicating that Kuja is a girl i will be happy to rethink my position, but so far all this amounts to is an inane rumor likely started by some homophobic twats who couldn't handle a male character not being macho and eating 1/3 pound hamburgers and pumping iron.

VengefulRonin said:
I have no idea where these ludicrous ideas come from. I think it's all insecure people who can't handle the idea of a man being effeminate.
bashing people again? *reads topic carefully* wow.. relevant! :goofy:

Grand_Lethal said:
KUYA means "older brother" in Filipino. KUJA might be pronounced "Koo-jah" with a harsh "j", or "Koo-yah" with a soft "j", like the Filipino word. I think this is pretty obvious that Kuja was always Zidane's "older brother".
I highly doubt that dear. It's my native language and I don't see either of them having any particular Filipino characteristics. I think Kuja came from the japanese word for peacock "kujaku". not to mention he looks like a bird and is pretty though.:rolleyes:

bashing people again? *reads topic carefully* wow.. relevant! :goofy:

Yes, bashing whoever it was who initially came up with this unfounded rumor, i have no idea who it is, it's just general bashing. I'd never even heard this rumor until i saw this thread...so either it's relatively new, or very few people bother to even spread it since there's nothing supporting it.

I highly doubt that dear. It's my native language and I don't see either of them having any particular Filipino characteristics. I think Kuja came from the japanese word for peacock "kujaku". not to mention he looks like a bird and is pretty though.:rolleyes:

The peacock meaning makes alot more sense, since Kuja is really feathery and such <.<

Kuja is 100% male no doubt about it. like some people said: in the Japanese Culture men who are girlish looking is wildly popular with girls. so...lets just let rumors be rumors ok?

Tetra Master, chill out. VR is just stating his opinions. He's not flaming, trolling, or anything else. I understand you're upset he is disagreeing with your opinion but there's nothing wrong with that. Knock it off.

Wikpedia can't be trusted all that well, as a havey based fan could have just made that.

Wikipedia LINKS the sources. Reliable sources such as creator interviews, IGN, game quotes, and even the Square website!

I have no idea where these ludicrous ideas come from. I think it's all insecure people who can't handle the idea of a man being effeminate. He's a man and was always a man. It's called Bishounen and is extremely common in Japanese culture. It's the concept of a man's attractiveness/beauty going beyond a gender distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishōnen

~!~THANK YOU~!~

Gee, remember the time when everyone though Deidara from Naruto was a female? Nope, fans thought wrong.

Oh and yeah, wow, Kuja has HUGE boobs:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Dissidia_Kuja.JPG

As "Final Fantasy fans" wouldn't we have known about Kuja being a female in the Japanese version anyways? Word spreads fast. The issue would appear in Wikipedia and FFIX fan sites.

That picture reminds me that Kuja is being voiced in the Japanese version of Dissidia by the same person who voiced Kaworu Nagisa in Evangelion (ie a man). Hopefully that will put a final nail in the coffin of any argument that the Japanese intended Kuja to be female.

Wikipedia LINKS the sources. Reliable sources such as creator interviews, IGN, game quotes, and even the Square website!

~!~THANK YOU~!~

Gee, remember the time when everyone though Deidara from Naruto was a female? Nope, fans thought wrong.

Oh and yeah, wow, Kuja has HUGE boobs:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Dissidia_Kuja.JPG

As "Final Fantasy fans" wouldn't we have known about Kuja being a female in the Japanese version anyways? Word spreads fast. The issue would appear in Wikipedia and FFIX fan sites.

I believe we were talking abour origional design, not that link. Anyways with wikepeida being such a large place, not all links made could be refernced to correct ones. For all we know Kuja could be a crazy transvesdite, but we do not know since there is two diffrent idea. Untill it comes from the creator's mouth, I am still gonna say Kuja's orgional design and character is most likely female in the Japense version.

If kuja was a girl, then the poor lamb has even smaller boobs than me!!!

Tetra, just wondering, how do you actually pronounce "kuya"? :P I guess I just assumed too much. Blame that site I linked too if it doesn't even mean "older brother" :P

But anywho, don't you think that the "older brother" meaning has any relevance?

KUJA
KUYA

Y is a soft J.

Besides that, I still think it's fairly obvious that Kuja is a male.

I believe we were talking abour origional design, not that link. Anyways with wikepeida being such a large place, not all links made could be refernced to correct ones. For all we know Kuja could be a crazy transvesdite, but we do not know since there is two diffrent idea. Untill it comes from the creator's mouth, I am still gonna say Kuja's orgional design and character is most likely female in the Japense version.

Maybe, maybe not. Even so if Kuja was originally going to be a female most likely the creators might mention about it in interviews. I still don't believe Kuja was a originally a female. Some animes have transvestite characters that are male. (EX: Nuriko - Fushigi Yugi, Arachne - Angel Sanctuary.)

That’s the first I’ve heard of this, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it were the case…

As far as Kuja goes… I actually thought he was a female at the very beginning of the game as well, appearance and all.

Aztec Triogal, don't get me wrong. I'm upset simply because he disagreed with my opinion?? c'mon I don't really mind those as long as it's done in a nice way. but it's also because those words don't really make sense with the relevance of this topic. anyway for my own faults my excuses..

Tetra, just wondering, how do you actually pronounce "kuya"? :P I guess I just assumed too much. Blame that site I linked too if it doesn't even mean "older brother" :P

But anywho, don't you think that the "older brother" meaning has any relevance?

KUJA
KUYA

Y is a soft J.

Besides that, I still think it's fairly obvious that Kuja is a male.

nope I don't think it has any relevance. ya it means older brother and you read it as "koo-yah". but his name in kana is written as "Ku-ji-a" so it must be different.

anyway I agree it's just a rumor but really can't help to think it's possible. if it's true, the proof could've been around some time already. there are players who play jap games and are eager in sharing info about it but up to now there isn't a single evidence.

nope I don't think it has any relevance. ya it means older brother and you read it as "koo-yah". but his name in kana is written as "Ku-ji-a" so it must be different.

Uh oh, time for a lesson in Japanese.

If his name were spelled "ku ji a" it would be written as "kujia" in romaji. They do not directly have a "ja" character, they make the "ja" sound by combining the "ji" character with a "ya" character, NOT a simple "a" character. The "ya" character is made in a smaller case than the "ji" character, that way people know to read it and SAY it as a "ja", not a "ji ya."

How it works in hiragana:
kujahiragana-1.jpg

How it works in katakana:
kujakatakana-1.jpg

Now since his name is written in katakana, it would look like クジャ. So please, next time you make claims about how a name is spelled, be sure to actually learn how it's spelled.

:nerd: okay my mistake, the last character is "ya" instead of "a". and yeah "ji ya" is romanized as "ja" and read as "ja"

but like I said it's "written as" so I'm only talking about how it's spelled. I'm not saying you read that as "koo-jee-yah" like you said. just trivial..

Yes, you said it's written/spelled as "ku ji a", which i just clearly stated it is not. Your post:

Read my post again, it is not spelled as "ku ji a" at all, there is no "a" character in the name at all. It consists of a KU, a JI, and a small YA.

EDIT: for some reason, the forums are being gay and putting this as a double post. Please fix? Maybe it's the server spazzing out again. This should be post #38, after Tetra's latest reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
:nerd: okay my mistake, the last character is "ya" instead of "a". and yeah "ji ya" is romanized as "ja" and read as "ja"

but like I said it's "written as" meaning I only showed how the characters are lined up so you probably got it wrong, I claim. :P and I'm not saying you read that as "koo-jee-yah" like you said. just trivial.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Master

Read my post again, it is not spelled as "ku ji a" at all, there is no "a" character in the name at all. It consists of a KU, a JI, and a small YA.
you only reiterated my earlier post did you? or I'm getting retarded. :goofy:

Last edited:

but like I said it's "written as" meaning I only showed how the characters are lined up so you probably got it wrong, I claim. :P and I'm not saying you read that as "koo-jee-yah" like you said. just trivial.

edit:

you only reiterated my earlier post did you? or I'm getting retarded. :goofy:

I did reiterate it to you and that was to illustrate the latter option you just gave. You said it was written as "ku ji a" and i said you were wrong and showed you how it's actually spelled and for some inane reason, you're sticking by that? I'm not entirely sure because your reply is so jumbled.

Either way this is a stupid thing to continue arguing about because i showed you how the name is actually spelled, your spelling is wrong, there's no denying it and besides, his name has nothing to do with him being an effeminate male.

Haha, Kuja does look really effeminate. It seems obvious that the rumor he used to be female isn't true, since no one's found any evidence (not to mention the Dissidia trailer is a pretty good counter-point).

But even for an effeminate guy, the bathing suit he struts around in is a little much.

Other than this rumor, I had/have no reason to think that Kuja was intended to be female. Really, I think he was an excellent character. Maybe you're right, eisprinz, the thong might be a little much. His outfit overall was okay, really. Just the thong. Was a little much.

Back