The Spirits Within [The Spirits Within] So who else wants to pretend this film never existed?

I'm still a little disappointed with the film but I feel it acts as a footnote to FFVII.

The Gaia theory in FF:SW adds more depth to the idea of the Lifestream in FFVII.

As for no links to the FF game ... doesn't Aki wear pajamas with a Chocobo on ... and I'm sure that the Japanese animators' commentary mentions that Bahamut was in as one of the spirits ... or did I dream that?? :confused:

They used a somewhat misleading title.

The movie was not bad, but something with the name 'FINAL FANTASY' in it needs to be PLAYED not watched. Damn misleading titles. i was hoping for a movie based on the game but i saw nothing like the games in it.... my vote goes against the movie for shattering my hopes :(

Yeah the tittle of the flick should have been just the Spirits Within though remenber that SquareSoft made the flick and it had alot of faith in it it was a huge invesment and to attract FF fans they put Final Fantasy i guess.

I'm sorry. I'd like to take this oppritunity to give you lessons in grammar.

The movie was a piece of shit, and the girl is a piece of shit! She can't even kill the monsters, and she keeps dreaming! For god's sake, we want to see the movie, not your damn dreams!!

That is how everything should have been posted. Once again, I'm sorry. Especially if you think I'm a pain in the ass for doing it.

You're my hero.

Anyway, I much liked this movie. Sure it was somewhat related to Final Fantasy... it was Fantasy, and it had the whole meteor issue like Final Fantasy VII did. Maybe it wasn't the same style but I enjoyed it. Give it a different title and I'm sure more people would like it just fine.

Just saw the movie tonight and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. I didn't know what to expect, but thanks to most of you guys' negative and un-thought out opinions of the film, I found I enjoyed it more. Sure maybe it shouldn't have a Final Fantasy title attached to it, but Sakaguchi should have never gotten fired for his involvement in this.

Everything made perfect sense and it was a different touch on Sci-Fi. I think the main reason I liked it though, is because everyone bashes it and underrates it, but it turned out decent.

Sorry to say, this movie blew donkey eggs. (I don't know what that means either) Even Conan O' Brian took shots at it. ''Final Fantasy, The Spirits Within before it's release- The theaters were empty, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within after it's release- The theaters were empty.''

Last edited:
Sure--why not? I didn't enjoy the film, so I might as well forget about it. Wait...I had completely forgotten it until I saw this thread.

Thanks a bunch. ;)

I loved the movie...... I know it has nothing to do with FF games or anything but the story lines wasnt that bad and the graphic were really good

I would normally agree with L U L U up here, but no, I don't think Spirits Within was a good movie at all. Maybe it would have been if Final Fantasy wasn't associated with the title, and yes, I am bit biased towards that and a bit sensitive when it comes to Final Fantasy.
No swords even!

I would normally agree with L U L U up here, but no, I don't think Spirits Within was a good movie at all. Maybe it would have been if Final Fantasy wasn't associated with the title, and yes, I am bit biased towards that and a bit sensitive when it comes to Final Fantasy.
No swords even!
Ye i was really mad when I bought the movie and popped it in and Watch the WHOLE thing and it had nothing to do with FF.....And your right WERE ARE THE SWORDS AT...AHHHHHHHHH

I remember I couldn't wait for this to come out in the theater after hearing all the hype about it, but was I disappointed when it did. As said several times before, it pretty much had nothing to do with FF as I knew it.

I liked the movie
it was final fantasy but lot such big story but stil a good story
it would make a fine rpg but more story

the best part is when Aki tells about the little girl her voice was just uber
when she told about it

Quite frankly it was Final Fantasy. The only real constant in every instance of the series is that there is some catastrophe that revolves around the world and its elements (Returning characters is fan service). In that respect the movie was completely on target as an FF.

Swords, guns, magic, etc seem like FF staples but no -- these are RPG staples and medieval fantasy staples.

Also consider that the movie had to target not only gamers but regular movie enthusiasts as well. It is because of that fact the movie had to actually have a movie style set up. Something like Advent Children would not really make sense or be fully enjoyed by someone who has not played the original FF7.

Its also worth point out that the reason this movie 'flopped' was because gamers expected a complete video game final fantasy experience but were offered a movie whereas regular movie goers expected a video game final fantasy experience which would turn them away -- even though it was actually a movie.

Lets say there are two groups in the world. The biggest group are lovers of cherry candy and the smaller group are lovers of strawberry candy (these are the Final fantasy Fans). A specific company is famous for making the BEST strawberry candy around. It then releases a brand new candy with enough to supply both groups over and over again. You buy one and open it eagerly being the connoisseur of this company's candy that you are. It is the same color and shape of the strawberry candy you have had from this company before and it even says strawberry on the wrapping along side a stylised picture of what looks like a strawberry. Upon tasting it you realise it is actually cherry flavoured. This new cherry candy, as well as the FFSW movie, are good in their own right but everyone was expecting the opposite of what it was.

Oh poop
Why are we dogging a movie anyway.
I mean psh, just because it has the title "Final Fantasy" doesn't mean it has to have something to do with the game series.

To simply say a movie sucked because it had an FF title is retarded. Besides, the movie was good, had a descent story line, the graphics were up to date blah blah blah blah bla....

In the end its everyones opinion.

This movie was a poor excuse for a film. Final Fantasy label or not, it was slow, and it gave you very little to feel about.

It was a very fact-fact-cry-fact-confusion-shoot-shoot-fact-fact-end kind of movie. The voice acting wasn't even that good.

The only redeeming quality to this movie was the graphics. And as any real gamer will tell you, graphics come last. If you can't make a good storyline, you're characters aren't well thought out, you obviously struggle with the idea of conflict, and you can't even find good voice actors... the last thing you should give a damn about is visually stunning graphics.

I rate this movie "...what movie...?"

Swords, guns, magic, etc seem like FF staples but no -- these are RPG staples and medieval fantasy staples.

Also consider that the movie had to target not only gamers but regular movie enthusiasts as well. It is because of that fact the movie had to actually have a movie style set up. Something like Advent Children would not really make sense or be fully enjoyed by someone who has not played the original FF7.

Its also worth point out that the reason this movie 'flopped' was because gamers expected a complete video game final fantasy experience but were offered a movie whereas regular movie goers expected a video game final fantasy experience which would turn them away -- even though it was actually a movie.

Why would they name a movie after FF if they had expected the audience to be just normal people who haven't played the game?

Why would people go see a movie that they have no interest in seeing in the first place, as it could 'turn them away'?

Why would they name it after an RPG if they had no intention of putting any of the 'staples' on the movie at all? :|

Back