Knights of the Round...cheating?

Sylvanius

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking m
Gil
The first time I played FFVII I used Knights of the Round to basically power through the end of the game. I beat safer sephiroth with one hit of that and one of comet2 on quadra magic. Now that I am playing it again, even though I HAVE KotR, I am going ot beat it without using it on bosses (except the emrald weapon..I don't care..I am using it)

Even though it's a legitimate summon...does anyone consider using this summon as cheating in a way? I think I kind of do since it made the game SO easy...

If it was cheating, then it wouldn't be a legitamate summon, it's just more a cop out than anything, although the hassle you go through getting it, makes it worth using. I only really use it on emerald and ruby, although Ive done emerald without it the first time I beat the mofo.

Yea, I kinda do. When I played through the first time, I never got it. I beat the game with my Cloud at like lvl 32 or something. I was very low level and beating the game was a real challenge. It was difficult and I enjoyed that difficulty. When I beat it I felt like I actually accomplished something.

When I played through a second time, I leveled beforehand and got KOTR. I used it on Safer Sephiroth and it killed him easy. It did feel cheap. I managed to take out Sephiroth with only a few blows and it really lacked any sense of accomplishment for me.

Hmm not really. I just view it as a very powerful summon that you as a player have an option of using or not. Some players might want to beat the tough bosses without a hassle, some may want it more challenging, and either way is fine. Everyone has their own style and preferences. I don't think there's really any 'cheating' going on concerning this...just a lack of accomplishment because it was a piece of cake. But hey, you gotta beat the game sometime, right? xD How you do it is entirely up to you.

I don't think it's cheating, but it can take some of the fun out of the battle, definitely. I enjoy obtaining the summon. It looks great, but I don't use it too often.

i think nearly everyone has checked guides when breeding chocobos to get the golden one.....which is already kinda cheating....
atleast they did let it work with quadra magic

The thing is, think of Final Fantasy X's aeons, who you could easily evolve into physical and magical powerhouses who could easily break the 9999 limit.
Also think of Yojimbo, who had the ability to beat anyone with the right amount of gil. If KOTR was cheating, then so was Yojimbo.

However, think of the hard work you went through breeding the golden chocobo necessary to get to Knights of the Round. I feel that I earned the summon in a legitimate way, then grew to hate it after I used it on Jenova SYNTHESIS.

Since I'm a completionist and I like to get everything in a game, I did obtain KotR, but only because I wanted to beat Emerald and Ruby, and even so it was a long battle. I didn't use it in any of the last bosses, simply because I never felt the need to. My characters did just fine. Like Mitsuki said, it's up to you how you want to beat the game. The summon is there for a reason and it is to use it as you see fit. I ever play FFVII again (and I'm pretty sure I will) I'm going to use a different strategy to beat Emerald and Ruby just so that I can say that I beat them without KotR, but it's not because I feel it's cheating, it's just for the sake of doing things differently.

I have two answers -- one straightforward, and one not so straightforward...lets call it curvyforward.

Straightforward Answer: No, it is not cheating. The W-Item dupe trick is cheating. Hacking to artificially max out stats or bring back Aerith is cheating. Using save states may or may not be cheating. Using KOTR is not: KOTR is a reward for doing a long and challenging mini-quest. It is the ultimate in summon power on Gaia and probably the only thing that can make Ruby Weapon crap in his sandy pants. Does it make you into a super hero? Yes. Is it cheating? No. It was designed to be there and to be that powerful.

Curvyforward Answer: What is cheating anyway? There is no universal referee to enforce the rules of gaming. Even if there were the concept would still be probelmatic -- in games (athletic or otherwise) "cheating" is a process which gives one player an unfair advantage over another. It is designed to ensure that the game is played in a way that gives all players a chance to win. There need be no such consideration in an RPG -- there are no other players, and the designers want you to win. Sure they would like to challenge you, perhaps even throw in some superbosses that are nigh near impossible, but ultimately they want you to be able to succeed. Thus how can there be "cheating" when there are no other parties to "cheat."

I play games because I have fun playing them (and consider them relevent artistically, but that is another thread altogether). I think that the main consideration in terms of how you play should be based on the amount of fun that you have. If it is fun for you to use cheats, hacks, glitches, or what have you to exploit the game and max stats then go nuts, I'm all for it if you enjoy iy; it is not fun for me, so I don't, but my decisions should have little if any bearing on yours.

Ultimately, the use of KOTR is up to you. If it is fun to use, do it. If not, then don't, make it into a no-KOTR challenge. You having fun is the main thing.

D4D

Last edited:
I feel that I earned the summon in a legitimate way, then grew to hate it after I used it on Jenova SYNTHESIS.

I hear you there. I did the same thing the first time I went to fight sephiroth (of course in that run I also went into the Northern crater and forgot to stock up on ANY items...I had like...nothing..at all..I think I even forgot to go heal somewhere....I was pretty impresses I even managed to limp my way through the cave...awesome move on my part:shame:)

But yeah, I used it on Jenova synthesis without knowing it would like..completely screw me over with safer sephiroth. I was just sitting there like...looking at the game over screen like 'wtf?'....stupid jenova synthesis...at lease it isn't hard to beat normally at all.

I don't call it cheating. Eden is close t KOTR and I wouldn't call that cheating either. The summons are long and boring so sooner or later (like all summons) You'll get tired of seeing it. I do.

I think though if you go around using KOTR + Sneak attack your abusing the gift. Or KOTR + Counter both the same. So when I play I use the summon for hard boss battles and then I leave it at that. I don't need to cause thousands and thousands of damage for an enemy who has less then 9999 HP. I'll use Ultima if thats the case.

Yeah i think its kinda cheating aswell. If ur gonna beat the game i say do it without using kotr. It makes things really easy. That bein said though, omnislash is just as powerful when clouds levelled up, but i dont consider that cheating.
tbh kotr annoys me kinda because it takes forever to finish and i dont enjoy an easy battle. I like them hard and to be challenging, kotr takes away all the fun.

Basically they only made Kotr to make things easier and probably for the lazy ppl who rily dont wanna waste their time fighting so it rily not cheating

I don't really think it is cheating. I mean it makes the game easier yea but to classify it as cheating is really over. Haha. I mean it's one of the summon materia, and just happened to be the most powerful of them all. Of course, you always have the option to not use them at all. Afterall, if it's a cheat, it's just an optional cheat which Square left to gamers who just wanted to maybe watch the ending for a second time without going through the hassle of battling the Sephiroths.

But then, if you were one of those lazy people, would you REALLY bother getting KOTR in the first place....?

Breeding those chocobos is a pain, imagine doing it without the guide, or with the item glitch, you'd be there ages. So I don't beleive it's for the lazy people at all xD

Lmao.. Add kotr with final attack, and have mime on everybody. Mime Omni-Slash, even. That would be considered 'cheating' way worse then just pullin out kotr however many times you can afford to.

I don't. There were other tactics even cheaper then that one summon. Namely the W. Summon knights of the round that pretty much could be mimed, Vincent's glitched limit break, and Final attack phoenix.

I don't. There were other tactics even cheaper then that one summon. Namely the W. Summon knights of the round that pretty much could be mimed, Vincent's glitched limit break, and Final attack phoenix.
If you want to include glitches, I think Vincents death penalty over-kill trick should be mentioned, when you kill I dont know, however many enemies it takes (fuckin, a lot) to get the slain enemies based attack power up so high that it confuses the computer and just deals out like 100000000. Look on YouTube someones got a video up of Vincent killin Emerald in one shot. It shows him bump into Emerald, get in the fight, then fire on him and he drops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53ecbzIIcY

Last edited:
Vincent's glitched limit break

I've never heard of that glitch, what is it exactly? And his death penalty glitch sounds crazy, I would be so confused....

Back