Knights of the Round...cheating?

They programed it as damage dealing, instead of death. This means that he can use his limit on a boss and insta kill one.

Don't stray off topic please.

I'd say that KOTR isn't cheating, as such, since they're already in the game and can be unlocked in a legitimate way. I think using them is just a lazy way of killing the uber powerful enemies. So it's not cheating, but lazy gameplaying really.

i dont really see it as cheating. since you have to bust your arse to get the freaking thing, and its already the end of the game, i dont really say its cheating. it might be cheap and take some of the fun out of it, but its not cheating.

I don't know about cheating, but it's definitely a cheap tactic. Ruby weapon is the only one I really rely on Kotr to pull me through, just because he's got so much freaking defense and HP.

Emerald isn't quite so bad, he really has average defense, so there's no reason a high level party couldn't take him down.

As for using it on Safer Sephy, well I think it takes all the fun out of fighting him, but I can see why low level parties may want to rely on Kotr.

If you really want cheating, try pairing Final Attack Materia with Pheonix. If both are maxed you're practically invincible (provided you have MP). o_O

Don't if you try and beat the second to last boss ( Jenova) With Knights of the round you get no EXP points ?

There you go, if the computer thinks that it's cheating then it's cheating :awesome:

I think that anyone who uses KotR regularly deserves a medal for patience. I hate the summon myself - the animation just takes so long. :(

Technically speaking, you aren't cheating; you're not modifying RAM values or using codes to bring back Aerith or master all Materia before you even fight Guard Scorpion.

However, it's a game breaker, like the Blood Swords in FF2, Dual Wielding Rapid Fire Spellblades in 5, and Economizer plus Soul of Thamasa plus Quick plus Ultima in 6. It makes beating bosses much easier, but the player who likes to challenge himself/herself won't like these.

It is not cheating. Lets face it Cloud on level 99 can kill Sephiroth on his own pretty easily without Knight of the Round. It is an easy way out but then you had to really play the game to get that materia in the first place. The first time I played them game when I was a teenager I missed loads of stuff including that materia. It took me over an hour to kill the first Sephiroth before I got to Safer-Sephiroth if you can belive it. I'm not talking re-trys I'm talking one entire battle.....it was epic thats all I can say. I've never had a fight like it before or since and it was just incredible. Yeah I was weak. I was like level 60..maybe 70 and had missed some of the top materias...but god damn. It was the best most nail-biting fight I've ever had. Since then I've done everything there is to possible do in that game and killing him both times is just stpuidly easy. Knights of the round maxed level plus mimed 3 times or omnislash..or just simply wait for him to hit you and use this combo: WEAPON/ARMOR: HP Plus, Cover, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, Counter Attack

I don't see it as cheating. You had to go through a whole lot of friggin feathers, to get that Summon... o_O If anything it BETTER be that strong to wipe Sephiroth's buttocks. xD

I don't think it's cheating, you earned it fair and square. Or triangly if you prefer.

I don't think so. I mean if you want the real full feel of the last few bosses, I'd stay away from summoning KotR though. I mean I use it when I am going after Emerald Weapon, but otherwise, I didn't use it at all except for viewing the summon sequence for the first time.

It's put in the game as a reward. You have to train Chocobo's and all that junk to get it which can be a pain, so it's the game's way of rewarding the gamer for putting in the time to get the Gold Chocobo.

Sure it's powerful, but when you get it, there's not much more to fight to use it anyway except the last few bosses and Super Boss WEAPONS.

Since I'm a completionist and I like to get everything in a game, I did obtain KotR, but only because I wanted to beat Emerald and Ruby, and even so it was a long battle. I didn't use it in any of the last bosses, simply because I never felt the need to. My characters did just fine. Like Mitsuki said, it's up to you how you want to beat the game. The summon is there for a reason and it is to use it as you see fit. I ever play FFVII again (and I'm pretty sure I will) I'm going to use a different strategy to beat Emerald and Ruby just so that I can say that I beat them without KotR, but it's not because I feel it's cheating, it's just for the sake of doing things differently.

I'm with you. I like to fully complete the game before putting it down and going "ok, I finished it" and if I recall correctly, KotR is a bit tricky to get, so as long as you don't cheat in acquiring the summon, and then you use it with out cheating and use only your smarts to come up with a strategy, then no... you are not cheating, and since you are actually questioning that tends to say alot about you as a gamer. Which is a very good view in wanting to go for the challenge instead of a "wham bam thank you mam" and not really get your monies worth.

So I must say, Kudos to you =^_^=

I didn't think it was cheating as it is in the game and is fairly hard to find but when I did obtain it I rarely used it. If I did use KoTR, it was on normal enemies and the like, but I never used it on a weapon or boss. I just liked the challenge of having to beat them without KoTR, because KoTR just made the game too easy and less fun IMO.

Well, you could try this to make the more challenging... these ideas came from Gamefaqs.com ( Gamefaq's FF7 Page )

(I didn't find all the links, but you get the idea, and I'm sure that someone can think up of something that will be damn near impossible to do. If anyone wants to take on one of these challenges, I do recommend to read the rules section to find out what exactly are the rules -- could make things interesting)

I don't think it's really cheating as it takes a lot of time and effort in order to use it. And if you're the type of gamer that will do that in order to get KOTR then you probably are going to want to test yourself in battles and use it sparingly.

"With great power comes great responsibility"

And as Physcomaze states, there are plenty of other challenges you can undertake if you think using it makes the game too easy!

Not at all. Look at Sephiroth's Super Nova and a Malboro's breath attack. They may not do as much damage as KOTR, but are brutally annoying and the game doesn't mind throwing that cheese at the player. If I didn't have KOTR, beating Emerald Weapon would have been much, much harder, if not impossible.

It's there in the game so it is not cheating.

It might be possible to 'move spam' a bit (particularly with W-Summon), and it might make the game less challenging, but it is not a cheat.

Also, as noted above it does take tremendous effort to be able to obtain Knights of the Round in the first place. You have to spend days worth of hours breeding and training chocobos in order to access the cave which holds the Knights of the Round materia.

On top of that the animation is very long. While it is epic to see the Arthurian knights slash and stab at a monster for 5 minutes, it can get tedious. This is a fairly clever (or probably unintentional) way of reducing the amount of times a player might want to use the summon, and so it limits overuse. Eventually a player will want to use another summon just to admire the pretty animations of a different character/monster.

But no, it is not cheating. Anything which the game intends the player to do is not cheating since the player is abiding by the rules of the game. A player using glitches to his / her advantage is different. The W-Item duplication glitch is cheating.

Considering all of the work you have to do in order to acquire the summon, I used this on the Emerald and Ruby weapon. I don't consider it a cheat at all. It's just that damn powerful and shows it's worthy of the time and effort you had to do to get it.
Haters can hate, I'll use it all the time on bosses once I acquire it :reptar:

Back