Your Life As A Newb

Warbsywoo

Hellodia.
Veteran
Gil
We've experienced it before. Being new at doing something is always really hard because we're not used to a certain activity or a certain way of life, though eventually we all wise up.

Care to share some stories?

I remember 5 years ago when I immigrated here to California I was totally clueless as to how this whole 'American' thing worked. Total culture shock the first couple of weeks and the week where I first started school. I had no idea what all the terms meant. Someone asked me to give out a 'cuss word' and I had no idea what she was talking about. xD
All throughout the week people were yelling at me and telling me what to do and it was a big hassle. The whole adjustment period was relatively short though and I figured out just how silly everyone was back in middle school.

Other than that...forum newb? I used a lot of text speak I took from random people before I joined. xD

I've been experiencing the whole newb thing just this week.

For 3 years I was one of the seniors at my last place of employment and people would look up to me and respect me. I would get asked a million questions because I knew how to run the whole shop on my own. I would get the occasional staff member who was scared of me because I guess some people assumed I was management and therefore; mean and scary.

However just this week I've found myself in a new job and right down the bottom again. I'm in a new environment and it doesn't feel as awkward as the time you get your very first job. But it's still very strange. I haven't got my old workmates to talk to and it feels like everyone babies me because I'm new. I suppose that's better then them being bitches because they can't be bothered training me though.

I just hate not being in control. I hate not being the one who knows everything and not being able to delegate people. =( I hate being a newb. >_<

Oh gosh, when I was a newb in the forums, I used textspeak all the time. I was new to the internet and sort of picked it up as the language, and I was fascinated by it... I also didn't want people to think I was weird for using proper grammar. -_-

Being a newb at the forums went hand-in-hand with being a newb at video editing and photoshop/GFX. I didn't discover either hobby until we got hooked up to the big 'net when I was 15. ;) So the first few months online, I was asking questions all the time, everywhere. Everyone I asked was very good, though, and I made some wonderful friends in those months. :)

More recently, I've become a newb at work. However, the team are fantastic and I'm settling in so fast! :) I don't feel awkward at all. I ask questions a lot, yes, and I haven't quite achieved full confidence, but I've been jumping in to help with any task I can and have been learning quickly. I'm at a good level when you consider I've only been there three days! :)

it's scary as a newb, I don't want people knowing my age as I don't feel I'll get treated as an equal, but i'm used to forums so I know the proper lingo of grammar, and I've never been in trouble. I try to help, and prefer this than social life where I get mocked :/

I've been a newb waaaaaay too many times. It was okay at school. I'll admit I usually made it worse than it actually was. Anyway, when I joined here, being a newb was pretty fun. Do I still qualify as a newb? I'm not sure. If I am, than I don't feel like it anymore.

:)

The newb thing was a bit odd for me back in my school era.

I got used to being a newb because I went to a lot of different schools:
I went to four elementary schools, three middle schools, and two high schools- after a while, it all just kind of ran together. I never really had a hard time making friends, but the bad thing is that I never really had a hard time getting into some sort of drama either.

Starting a new job has always been awkward for me, especially if it's a part-time busybody job like a restaurant or something. That feeling of being a newb is uncomfortably strong the first few days.

Lol a memory just came knocking when I saw this thread.

I was a freshman high school. My friend and I (and a couple of her friends I didn't really know too well) attended a football game at school one night. One of her friends (or it could've been my friend, I don't remember) asked me to say the word 'fuck'. And I looked at her all weird and asked why. She said, "Because I've never heard you say it before." Well obviously I started feeling conscious. Was the word really that big of a deal to people? My parents taught me not to cuss, etc. So carefully and quietly, I dragged the word out and said, "Um...fuuuuck???" That made everyone laugh because apparently I said it all weird...because I genuinely felt guilty for cussing. =x Like, if my dad heard that I would've gotten a whooping.

It's not my word, what can I say?

I like to help new people because I'm always trying new things and so I'm always reminded of what it feels like to be new. New names to remember, new techniques to learn, all this information coming to you at once, etc.

I remember when I was new to this forum I didn't last long the first time. I signed up during the hype of FFXIII (what a let down that was) and vanished for a short while. When I came back I only really took at interest in the debate threads (as a few members these days will remember) and the rest is history.

I think my strong sense of identity and personality help me deal with being new. I like to assert myself early, I guess being new so often taught me how important first impressions are and how it's always important to bear in mind that while you might be new to a given activity we all have our extensive experiences in life.

Well, I'm doing the whole Newb this right now with this forum!

But before then I think it was moving from the South of England to the North. I didn't think it was going to be a big difference, considering it's a very small country but boy was I wrong. Years on i still haven't lost my accent and I still get confused with the slang used. It's quite hilarious, at Uni i'm sort of famous for being out of place and makes for some interesting conversations.

Well there's one thing that comes to my mind when it comes to being noobie xD
I've always been a console/ hand-held gamer girl but my boyfriend recently introduced me to the whole PC gaming a while back. He loves his MMO's like World of War craft and Star Wars :P I never wanted to pay the money for it but I did try League of Legends a while back.... and I suck xD I'm really not that good with the keyboard and there's not a whole lot you can do as far as clicking goes -_- I try my hardest for him but I suck too much to enjoy it... I hate hate hate losing.

Another thing I'm noobie with is cooking. I'm so lazy and while I love food, I'm not meant to be a housewife lol. My cooking skills are so horrible >_< like who burns eggs? Apparently me that's who.

The very last thing I can think of is my social skills. Over the internet is cake work but I'm so damned awkward when it comes to talking. My boyfriend's work is throwing a Christmas party this Saturday and the only reason I want to go is for the free food. :lew:

Back