The Dreaded Gym.

Davey Gaga

Under you like a G.U.Y.
Veteran
Gil
I only say dreaded to appeal to the majority. xD

How often do you go to the gym, if at all? What keeps you motivated? Do you do it better in a group, on your own, with music, in silence? How long will you spend in the gym? How effective do you find it (do you lose a lot of weight/build a lot of muscle, or find yourself wasting time there)? What equipment do you use/classes do you take? How much do you pay to use the gym?

And anything else you can think of related to this God-forsaken place. xD

I go maybe once or twice every week, it's okay for me because I live quite close to it, only downfall is that right next door to my house if a fookin' McDonalds. I prefer to go alone though because knowing my friends they'd take the piss plus on my own I wouldn't be bothered for listening to my iPod. Hattersley is poor so it's like £2.50 for a week pass :monster:

I used to go to a gym every so often but I didn't do it with losing weight or anything in mind, it was just for fun. :wacky: I'd just go and spend nearly the whole time on the treadmill until my legs felt like jelly, or play football or basketball or something with a friend and our sisters. I haven't been in a while though, and don't have a particular desire to join one right now. I'd rather just take up jogging or skipping or something to get into shape, much cheaper. >_>

I usually go three times a week (sometimes four). I don't mind if I go with friends or not, so that's not an issue for me. The gym I go to is constantly playing music videos, so I don't bother bringing my own music. My friend and I managed to haggle the membership fees from $25 a week down to $13 a week so I was pretty happy with that.

I assign different muscle groups to each day, so I use different equipment depending on which day of the week it is. I've found the gym fairly effective, I've been going for almost a year now and really enjoying it.

I had a gym membership for a few months, but didnt go enough to warrant spending all that money, so I cancelled it. I can't say I enjoyed my time there either, Id go with mymate and clockwatch the entire time. Something I dont think I can ever be arsed with, or will ever bother with again, one of those stupid fads...this time last year I think actually...tehre went another new years resolution>_>

How often do you go to the gym, if at all?

Twice a week

What keeps you motivated?

The thought that I'll eventually tone meself up, and get healthier, as well as obviously losing weight and dress sizes.

Do you do it better in a group, on your own, with music, in silence?

I train on my own, and I listen to music on the CV stuff like Treadmills, Upright Bike and Cross Trainer. When I get to the weights, Im like...I have nowhere to put my mp3 player, as my trousers generally dont have pockets, plus it doesnt have a clip thing so I can attach it to my clothes...

How long will you spend in the gym?

Usually an hour, depends on how busy it is, and how long it takes me to complete each weight set. I have set times on CV work.

How effective do you find it (do you lose a lot of weight/build a lot of muscle, or find yourself wasting time there)?

To be honest, I think most of my weight loss is due to swimming, as that really does help, but I have started to find that I am getting stronger thighs (uppermost parts), and in my upper arms. It's obviously going to take a good while longer before I see any real muscles.

What equipment do you use/classes do you take? How much do you pay to use the gym?

I pay £20 a month to go to the gym and to do swimming - 9am - 5pm during the weekday, anytime at the weekend. There's other things I get discounts on, but, I can't remember them and only really go swimming and gymming so these other things don't really matter...

I usually swim 30 lengths, and these are good long lengths.

As for the gym:

I start off with Upright Bike (5 mins) (Warmup)
Treadmill (10 mins)
Cross Trainer (10 mins)
Cooldown Bike (5 mins) (Done at the end)

After that, it's weight stuff - I can't remember if they're in the right order, but, who cares xD

Leg Curl
Chest Press
Shoulder Press (I think...)
Leg Extension (I think...)
Some rowing sort of machine - your chest is like pressed against something, and using both arms, you pull these.."things" towards you - the handles you hold onto. Lol. As you pull them to your chest, you see the weights go up, and as you relax your grip, they obviously go down.
Some pushy machine xD - Yeah, basically, your feet go against this platform, and you push yourself up and down on this ramp seat thing, at whatever weight you desire.

I do two sets of each, between 8-12 reps on both, and my weights go between 13.5 to 22.5 on most I think. Only on the leg pushy thingy, does it go higher, it's currently above 40kg.

I go to the gym about 2 or 3 times a week. The fact that I get stronger and in shape keeps me motivated. I find it pretty effective to go to the gym. Sometimes I go to the gym with a few friends, but I work out alone. I listen to music, yeah it gets me pumped. I use the bike machines, and treadmill as a warmup. I also bench press and squat there. I also use the Lat Pulldown, Seated Press, Shoulder Press, Leg Curl, Leg Extension and other workout machines. But I usually bench first before I work on the other machines. I also do ab work off to the side. I don't have to pay because well, I go to my school's workout/weight room. It's opened from 3PM to 6PM and I'm usually there 2 and a half hours each time. I have been to a real gym, but I felt kinda embarrassed. I walk in and there are a whole bunch of guys like twice my size with huge muscles and shoulders and they look like tanks. lol.

And Misty that rowing machine that you were talking about is called the "Seated Row". And I know what you're talking about for the second machine, but I don't remember the exact name of it.

Last edited:
I don't go to the gym, but I've got quite a lot of equipment it home. I've been lifting for about a year now, but only a month or two with good nutrition. I've seen awesome results since I've had good nutrition. A lot of my exercises are with free weights, and I can do pretty much all the muscle groups I want (triceps, traps, delts, chest, biceps, then later quads, calves and abs).

I find motivation in a lot of things. Protein powder costs a lot of money, so I feel like I need to work really hard to justify me buying it. Also, I watch wrestling a bit, and looking at some of those guys gives you something to aspire to.

Three times a week every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It's easier for me to stay dedicated to it since my dad has a gym in the basement. He's formed quite a collection of exercise weights and equipment over the years. So it's nice not having to pay a fee or be surrounded by sweaty strangers.

I prefer doing it alone, and absolutely need music. Without music, I wouldn't be able to stick with a routine for more than a few weeks.

Ironically, I just signed up for the gym. Basically, I wanted to since I wasn't doing much with my spare time and I need to get fit if I want to play regularly for the netball team, which has a match every Wednesday afternoon. Tuesday night training's good and all, but I find myself out of breath too much and need to get my endurance right back up. So perhaps after a few weeks at the gym (my induction is on Tuesday after netball training, God help me! xD), then I'll answer those questions.

I love the gym, it's agreat place to not only socialize, but to prove how much healthier than your friends you are, i partake in many gym hours, as i enjoy looking good, and (it may sound discusting) but working up a sweat.

i love raising my heart rate on the CV machines, and improvingmy physical strength and muscle tone on the ressistance (weight) machines. i studied to be a personal fitness instructor for two years at college, and now im still working out at least 3 times a week, trying to stay fit so when a job does open up, i can snap it up with my physical fitness.

(plus the 6-pack is enjoyed by the girls *sinister laugh*)

I go usually 6 days a week. Since our gym is part of the complex we live in, we can go whenever we want. What keeps me motivated is knowing that I'm doing the same thing that my heroes do. Even if it's much less than what they do, I'm still one of them.

I go with dad, because I have no other choice. He has to drive me there and back. We workout together. Mainly weights, and I also do that bicycle thing. My record is 2.1 miles on that bitch. Not much, but it's amazing to me. :lew:

Usually I come home and devour the entire kitchen though, making the whole trip pointless. :D

I'm pretty sure I'd rather slit my wrists than go to a gym. Everyone watching you struggle to lift, or dying on the treadmill...getting all sweaty. It's pretty disgusting. I also don't particularly want to see other people lift better than me, nor do I want to catch all the germs that hang around at gyms.

Therefore I just got some dumbbells for home (watching the post man trying to carry them up the street was the funniest thing ever) and do it there. No membership fees, no other people watching, no downside :griin:.

I go usually 6 days a week. Since our gym is part of the complex we live in, we can go whenever we want. What keeps me motivated is knowing that I'm doing the same thing that my heroes do. Even if it's much less than what they do, I'm still one of them.

I go with dad, because I have no other choice. He has to drive me there and back. We workout together. Mainly weights, and I also do that bicycle thing. My record is 2.1 miles on that bitch. Not much, but it's amazing to me. :lew:

Usually I come home and devour the entire kitchen though, making the whole trip pointless. :D

What are your goals in the gym?

I'm pretty sure I'd rather slit my wrists than go to a gym. Everyone watching you struggle to lift, or dying on the treadmill...getting all sweaty. It's pretty disgusting. I also don't particularly want to see other people lift better than me, nor do I want to catch all the germs that hang around at gyms.

Therefore I just got some dumbbells for home (watching the post man trying to carry them up the street was the funniest thing ever) and do it there. No membership fees, no other people watching, no downside :griin:.

I hate the gym. I hate the smell, I hate the music, I hate the other people (curling in the squatting cage, just sat chatting between reps and taking ages, posing in front of mirrors etc.). So, I've always done all my workouts at home and been fairly pleased.

Since my last post in this thread, years ago, I had about a 2 year hiatus from all types of exercise. Looking at my last post "good nutrition" just meant heaps of protein, so I got big, but also got fat. Lately, I really have had good nutrition as I've been eating mainly things like brown rice, chicken breast, salmon, wholegrain pasta etc.

How often do you go to the gym?

six times a week

Staying healthy and small lol

​On my own... people distract me.

1-2 hours.

How effective do you find it (do you lose a lot of weight/build a lot of muscle, or find yourself wasting time there)?

Cardio helps a lot, with added weights afterwards. I maintain my weight.

What equipment do you use/classes do you take?

Everything.

How much do you pay to use the gym?

$35 a month for 24/7

I joined in July, I go three times a week at the moment

I feel like it's somthing I need to do to help my self confidence. Plus I'd feel bad if I gave up so quickly.

On mmy own, and I don't like headphones so I don't have music on. The music in the free weights room is terrible, I wish they'd get rid of it!

The workouts themselves usually last just over an hour.

I'm trying to build muscle but finding it hard as I don't have the right genetics for it, and my training/diet need a lot of work (especially my diet). I'd get a personal trainer if I could afford one!

I use the free weights/machines, and the cross-trainers when doing cardio.

About £45/$70 a month

So this topic is 2009 originated, but still on the most recent page! And I definitely missed the opportunity to reply to it til now.

I actually just got back from the gym. I kinda need motivation or something to get my butt in gear in order to make the drive to the gym and workout. I play sports like crazy year-round, but something about the gym just...bored me. I mean I'm all for it's purposes, and inspiration, and results, but I like the competition instead of just the picking up and putting down of weights. However, I do go when I can, have the membership and all the opportunities in the world, but I only go when I can find a good reason to get my lazy butt up and finish it.

I go pretty much every day. I used to attend classes - Boot Camp, Spinning, Body Attack, Body Bump, Kettlebells, Zumba, Boxercise and Circuits - until the gym I attend cancelled most of the classes. Now I attend the gym at work for free and spend 30-50 minutes there doing something high-intensity. Failing that, I go for a run or cycling. :) I tend to go with a friend to the gym, but I go cycling alone.

Last edited:
The gym is like my sanctuary. I go there every morning around 5:30ish for 1-2 hrs. I LOVE working out n I'm never worried about what ppl around me are thinking. I dont give a shit. I go to there to train, nothing else. Just focus on your training. If you're concerned with what others are thinking then your not training hard enough.

To elaborate..

Every morning around 5:30ish

Mental clarity n just getting it out of the way

On my own. Ppl get in my way. It's hard for me to hide my annoyance if u try to make conversation with me there. I need my music when Im working out. It carries u n can really motivate u n boost the intensity of your workouts.

1-2 hrs spent mostly running

I became very toned n fit. Cardio or getting ur heart rate up is extremely important for overall health. If your looking to lose weight diet is more important. Skinny does not equate to being fit. Lets make that clear.

Treadmill, rowing machine n punching bag. I hate classes. I like to train on my own altho I dnt mind Zumba every now n again.

$35 a fortnight

Last edited:
Right now, I'm horrible about going back to the gym. I have a membership, but every time I go right now I'm not getting enough focus.

I think it's because every gym I go to, all the sudden it fills up at the most convenient times. I can't go anymore at early hours because it feels I'm still putting in 100%+ of my daily brain activity. By the time I get to the gym, it's 5:30-6:00pm and everyone and their dogs are there.

I don't have to wait on anything but it's a bunch of alpha males standing around grunting and talking. To me, I'm like.. get on with it, work out and finish. Not just stand there and talk for 15-30 minutes. There is a bar or other places for that.

Back