FFII Character Development

Seiya Wataru

Esper Guard
Gil
I was considering asking the opinion of my fellow forum members regarding this issue. I've just recently acquired a copy of FFII for PSP and have only recetly started playing it. The unorthodox way of leveling the various attributes of your characters (in place of just simply level grinding as one would do in any other FF) has left a bittersweet sensation. I wanted to know from you whether or not developers got the Character Development system right or if you didn't like it at all.

I hated it, so much so that I gave up after half an hour or so, I had stats going up and down all over the sop and I was like IVE JUST GOT THAT UP, how DARE it go down next time I 'level up'

Couple that with wandering too far in any given direction and getting your arse handed to you just made me quit. I think it's the worst levelling system ever

I'm with moon though I did beat the game thanks to a think called an action replay. I just maxed the stats and played the game for the story which in my opinion sucked. Oh and I did it on the gba.

I played it on the NES. I wanted to like the system, but could not: As I knew that I was screwed unless I powered up right away I spent about 2-3 hours of game time actioning and canceling to level up, and was so burnt out at the end that I did not care about the story or gameplay, though it was marginally better than 1. MP was an improvement over spell charges though.

This actualymakes the game to easy because in the walkthrough since you get many battles a weak monster that does 0 damage to your character makes its defense and hp grow. If you actually start to hit yourself per fight in 99 fights you will become almost invincible. That training system sucks badly, I really dont like it at all.

I didn't mind the system too much, it took some time to get used to though. But by the end of the game I was actually really enjoying the system. I discovered the whole 'attacking-myself-is-good' thing about halfway through the game so I was able to beat the final boss pretty comfortably. The only thing which kinda bugged me was having to level up spells because it took ages. -__-

I hated it, so much so that I gave up after half an hour or so, I had stats going up and down all over the sop and I was like IVE JUST GOT THAT UP, how DARE it go down next time I 'level up'

Couple that with wandering too far in any given direction and getting your arse handed to you just made me quit. I think it's the worst levelling system ever

That's a shame because FFXIII is apparently suppose to take after the system.

Anyhow, I loved the system. It does suck that it was rigged and there are obvious flaws but overall I think it's a good system. I like the concept that if you use a skill, that skill becomes greater... and any skill that isn't used doesn't. It does suck though that characters hiding in the back never gain more HP because they're almost never hit. Then once you reach creatures that are agile enough to hit your back row characters, they're dead in one shot because they have no defenses. It's also a bit lame that you can hit your own character and level them that way. But besides those few hiccups, it is really the most realistic leveling system Final Fantasy has ever had. I'm a fan of it.

Back