Longest time it took to steal...

fuoff209

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Well i think i just set the record. It took me 45min just to steal the Grand Armor from the Nova Dragon!!!!!!!!!!! Do I have bad luck or do you guys have worst.

I think on my last playthrough, when I actually realized that stealing from bosses was stupidly important, that the longest it took me to steal an item from a boss was about an hour. I can't remember which one it was though.

I got really fed up with steal. Didnt seem to matter how many times i would try it, i would always come away empty handed. I dont have or want the patience to sit for ages to try and steal an item. I boycott steal now to be honest, i try to only use it for the items i really want like pumice piece for example.

I tried to steal, but if I got nothing after a few tries, I gave up...most things I could get later in the game or I could survive with out them. So I never spent that long trying to steal.

I think the longest it has taken me to steal something was about 35 minutes. I don't remember what it was or which boss it was, but it took me a long time.

And right after I got it, the power went out and I had to do it all again.

I remember taking half an hour trying to steal from that golumy thing (the guy taht has the fairy flue - as you leave Conde Petie) I accidentally killed him with a counter attck before I could steal it. Wasnt best pleased. I think I arraved about half an hour on some of the more annoying steals...it just gets annoying >_>

It takes me ages to steal, no matter what that may be.this was mainly because i never had the patience to continually steal from enemies whilst they were working my party over.

Ugh! I hate it when it takes too damn long to steal something. And it always seemed to be when you really needed that particular item. I mean in VII I remember it took me ages to steal that staff for Aerith in the train graveyard. Sometimes I dont even use steal just because its too damn annoying.:P

I hate that I read this thread now. For some reason I never once thought to keep trying after lengthy periods of time. I mean, I tried ten minutes one time and just got frustrated and assumed that I was doing something wrong and gave up.

I think I spent an hour and a half getting the gugnir lance from odin in FFV. I was about ready to chuck my ds at the wall till it shattered.

Please take note on what game the topic is referring too, in this case, it's FFIX ;))

If I spent that long trying to steal from anything, I think I would have eaten my DS <_<

Steal is very important. I see people making a lot of excuses to not sit there for your half hour or more stealing with no results turn after turn. Most bosses (not a typo, MOST) have some great armor that either you won't be seeing ANYWHERE for a while, or possibly, you won't be seeing at all (at least not in shops)

So ask yourself if you're the type of gamer who owns final fantasy, beats every boss, does every sidequest and gets all of the rare equipment.

Get to stealin', gamers. Or go get a life. -All true gamers burst out in uproarious laughter-

It has taken me a great deal of time to steal before. I think it was like 30 minutes or so. Maybe an hour. Most of the time I get frustrated and restart if I saved right before the fight. I've done that before and when I went to steal again,Zidane stole all the items without missing a beat.

Steal is very important. I see people making a lot of excuses to not sit there for your half hour or more stealing with no results turn after turn. Most bosses (not a typo, MOST) have some great armor that either you won't be seeing ANYWHERE for a while, or possibly, you won't be seeing at all (at least not in shops)

So ask yourself if you're the type of gamer who owns final fantasy, beats every boss, does every sidequest and gets all of the rare equipment.

Get to stealin', gamers. Or go get a life. -All true gamers burst out in uproarious laughter-
If you are having fun while playing the game, then doesn't that justify that you are indeed a true gamer, because you are playing it are you not? I do agree that if you are playing, you might as well take the time to put in some effort to acquire a few good pieces of armor just to satisfy yourself and have more fun for having more things to do in the game. But if it gets to the point where you are becoming frusterated, then you are losing that fun you once were experiencing. In this case, either drop it and do something else in the game, or take a break and come back to it later so you don't give up and lose the fun you were having.

I remember taking half an hour trying to steal from that golumy thing (the guy taht has the fairy flue - as you leave Conde Petie) I accidentally killed him with a counter attck before I could steal it. Wasnt best pleased. I think I arraved about half an hour on some of the more annoying steals...it just gets annoying >_>

I had the exact same issue. Hateth I the jolly green fatty. In my case, I believe it took me about 40 minutes. What's odd, though, is that I've never spent more than five minutes on any other enemy :rant:

Just got past this part, for the first time I decided to try and steal it (the other times I played through I ignored it).

It took me approximately two hours and fourteen minutes. And I had bandit equipped and everything. >_<

I gave up trying to steal grand helm from Tiamat after around three hours, he kept killing Dagger and I was running out of phoenix downs and MP.

The longest I patiently took to steal was around an hour and a half, for the Fairy Flute that Hilgigars holds. Christ knows why it's so hard to steal - it's not even that good, but there are definitely some bitchin' items to be taken through the Steal command. It wasn't until a few play-throughs in that I really appreciated how invaluable stealing from bosses actually was.

Luckily I have my laptop near where I sit to play these games, so in between stealing I'll talk some bollocks on MSN for a while to pass the time.

Well i think i just set the record. It took me 45min just to steal the Grand Armor from the Nova Dragon!!!!!!!!!!! Do I have bad luck or do you guys have worst.

45 minutes?? O.O Man you really have perseverance. If I would to steal something and it will take so much time => :ohshit:

The longest try of steal was in the first fight of the game against the Leader of the Tantalus-group. I need 10 minutes or so, but it was more then long enough. ;)

MFG Majin_Clodan

Edit:
@ Pitler: In germany you will banned for such a nickname and avatar. :P

Last edited:
I just spent 40 minutes trying to steal the damned Grand Armor from Nova Dragon, but I gave up. I fail to understand what Square was thinking when they programmed the steal rates. They're just inhumanely low sometimes. I didn't have the extreme trouble with the Fairy Flute though, took me about 15 min. I'm making sure only to steal from those last bosses what cannot be acquired in any other way.

I tried it a few times and nothing ever came of it, so eventually I just said "fuck stealing". I can't be arsed to sit there for so long. It's boring and at the same time my party is getting beat down. I never suffered from not getting an item early through stealing or anything like that. I really don't like the feature.

Sucks that using steal is the only way to power up Zidane's last ability he learns.

Back