Kingdom Hearts: Love It Or Hate It?

I thought it was a good game. The mixture of Disney and Final Fantasy was pretty different but I actually liked it. Oh yeah and Aerith's voice in that game was hot! :gasp: But I totally didn't expect to hear David Boreanaz as the voice of Squall Lionheart, that was a shocker. But he actually did that role justice. Oh yeah and Cloud's outfit was the best I've seen with him.

I never played any of the sequels though. I saw like the beginning of 2 but it didn't make any sense to me. Is there a game I need to play before getting 2?

I think the games are brilliant, and unique. One of my favourite series' that have ever been released for any console.

The concept of KH appealed to me a lot because when the first game came out, I was young and had never played a FF game before, so all I was thinking was, "DISNEY!". I never got further than Destiny Island. :gasp: I was young and silly...

When I got older and began playing it again, the idea of Disney and FF still really appealed to me, mainly because I was interested to see whether they'd be able to pull it off. It was a little odd at first, but I loved the idea after a while. While the game sometimes does get a little slow at certain points, I would say that I do "love" this game.

And Kingdom Hearts II is one of my favorite games of all time. They did a great job making a sequel. ^_^

Because I'm new I think appropiate for me to let people know that I am one of the few (maybe 20 people I the entire planet lol...) that hate kingdom hearts. Sorry :/

I love KH. Especially that they bought in Sephiroth to fight. Man thats gotta be like the 3rd way on fighting him besides crisis core, VII and dissidia.

I really love the Kingdom Hearts franchise :). The first time I played it was when my old friend Desiree showed me the game at her house and I was instantly hooked. I managed to play it myself one day and man, I was absolutely enthralled by the amazing story. To me, it delivers the wonder and magic of a child's story (i.e. Disney) in a more adult manner of complexity, like a more serious RPG (i.e. Final Fantasy).

As for characters, Sora was a great guy and actually wasn't a generic hero. In accordance to that, he spent the entire 1st game doing all of that because he wanted to find Kairi as well as trying to understand why Riku disappeared and why he turned against him. More or less, Sora just wanted to find his lost friends and understand why all of the events happened how they did, which made him a great character who had a good background. Kairi, was mostly a damsel in distress through the first game, but her character was expanded well in the sequel when she took matters into her own hands and tried to go find Sora and Riku, tho she ran into trouble xD. That showed that she became stronger over the 1-year gap. Riku was also a great character in that he made a big mistake in betraying his best friends, but later went through a lot to help and make up for it, showing he really meant he was sorry. Riku was a very dynamic character and probably had the most character development with Sora second.

As a whole, the idea of traveling to different Disney worlds was great as well, sort of like a Disney version of Dissidia, only it was traveling on a gummi ship xD. I would also like to address the presence of certain FF characters: the thing is, they weren't meant to be direct parallels to their original counterparts (Cloud, Aerith, Sephiroth, Squall, Tidus, etc) but moreso homages to themselves as some changes had to be made being it was partly Disney. SE also made this clear before too. I realize some of you didn't like how they were meshed with Disney, but try to think of them as AU versions of them. I more or less see KH as a FF for a somewhat younger demographic. As I said, I really love KH...

HOWEVER, I strongly feel KH was completely derailed when Birth By Sleep came out.

(Forewarning: Partial rant/partial limited critique coming)

Mind you, I haven't actually played BBS, but I have done my research on the story, setting and watched some playthrough videos of it as well as cutscenes. I won't go on a big, huge tangent, but I feel the introduction of Ventus completely destroyed Sora's character. The way the story flows in BBS does not fit with the original KH/KH2/ReCoM storyline and the overall plot has become far too ridiculous and complex. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever and the character Varitas was just ridiculous as well as this so-called X-Blade. I'm sorry, I mean no offense to anyone who liked BBS, but imo, it deliberately wrote off Sora.

Anyway, as for 368/2 Days and Coded, those were alright, tho I think Xion's character made it a bit too complex.

In all, Kingdom Hearts is a great franchise, bar BBS in my personal opinion. But yes, I do love Kh as a whole.

~ Raz

Last edited:
I never cared about FF being mixed in with disney as a matter of fact not only they did make the game great just being their, wha ti love about their interaction in the game was to see some of them fight in a new battle style not similar to FF, we ge tto team with them all of them in 2 mostly, they had a big part to play in the storyline, and getting to fight sephiroth, they made the game great. I dont see the problem with them being with disney, I enjoyed all of it xD and being able to fight with a few of my favorite childhood favorites cant say anything i hate about it.

The first game was amazing. Very modest yet surprised you. Chain of memories however was not meant for gameboy advance. Kh2 had refined the style but the story became generic.

And after kh2 they forgotten the point. The visuals and the gamelay continues to improve but the story lacks more and more. Kh3D makes it that apparent. I personally am disapointed with the series.

I think this game is really a love-hate thing. i love the fact that the games were made on the ps2 system and loved the story lines. i hate the fact that they made games for other consoles. continuing the story.. so if you didn't have the ds, you were missing a chunk of the game series. if you are gonna make a game series, either make it for all consoles or just one.. don't jump from ps2 to ds, then back to ps2. then to ds some more. and the ending of the second kh game for ps2 set up for a 3rd. that has never been done. instead another ds game was done. and if i am not mistaken, didn't they make one for the psp? if it wasn't for ps2 i didn't pay attention to it because i only own consoles, not handhelds.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

Everything from original characters, Disney and FF plus story and gameplay makes it one of my favorite games!

I love this fucker of a series. At first glance you probably think it's some childish game, right? But once you actually play it and sink deep into it you'll see that this game is more than just Disney characters doing their usual shtick. There's a great story, interesting original characters, FF characters, and super awesome battle styles throughout the series (except Re: Coded). Overall anybody can enjoy this game. Not just kids. I wish I could play more of these games, but they're spread across every goddamn console that's ever existed. Love the series, hate Square Enix. I think this deserves another #FuckThisCompany .

Kingdom Hearts has been a great series throughout the years that has passed. It was a whole new experience to the game community do to it's unique play style. One of the things that made this series very popular was the idea to join both Disney and Final Fantasy characters into a single game. Also, the way the world map was designed was something that made the game feel different from other games. That is why I love this series alot.

Kingdom Hearts I, Kingdom Hearts II & Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep are my favorite games from the series.

Personally, with Kingdom Hearts now being the only franchise that I've continuously followed over fifteen+ years, I love it because I've grown up with it. It absolutely isn't close to being a flawless franchise, but I don't think it tries to be - even the majority of the most ardent fans, if being honest, won't think it's flawless either. Kingdom Hearts carries largely because of fans' connections to the character development over a decade, particularly three character bases: the Destiny trio (Sora/Riku/Kairi), the Sea Salt trio (Roxas/Axel/Xion) and the Wayfinder trio (Terra/Aqua/Ven); despite its appearance, I'd wager Kingdom Hearts' core age demographic now sits comfortably in its twenties.

I would be surprised if there are many people nowadays that genuinely hate the Kingdom Hearts franchise - it has been around too long and spanned too many games to not have passed through any hate periods. Ambivalent maybe, but hate is questionable (albeit, when the OP originally posed the question, the franchise was still fresh). Those that love the franchise will still be around, those that hated it will have disappeared a long time ago.

Despite it's reputation, one of my favourite aspects of Kingdom Hearts is its convoluted storyline. There were some nice cameos in Kingdom Hearts 3 with the appearance of Ephemer and help from the Kingdom Hearts Union X unions in the Keyblade Graveyard; it was a nice and subtle shoutout from Square-Enix to the Kingdom Hearts fanbase. There's also the possible reference to Skuld after the Saix/Isa fight. It would be fascinating to go back and play Kingdom Hearts 3 without any prior knowledge to the franchise, it must be absolutely bonkers not having a clue what is going on.

Will the loose ends ever be tied up? I'm not so sure - Union X may clear up some questions but I doubt all, certainly not without going into another saga anyhow.

There's the reappearance of Luxu and The Foretellers (Invi, Gula, Ira and Aced) with the disappearance of Ava at the end of Kingdom Hearts 3, plus the black box mystery and the Book of Prophecies. How Ventus, Lauriam (Marluxia) and Elrena (Larxene) went from being members of the Dandelions before the Keyblade War to Sora's worldline? What happened to Marluxia's sister, Strelitzia? Who is Yozora and why does he meet Sora?

Kingdom Hearts 3 nicely gave close to the trio reunions, but it opened up a wave of questions with The Foretellers epilogue and the lost master.

Back