RE: COM Opinions

Remiel

Ex-Soldier
Gil
RE: COM Opinions

So, for anyone who's played it/ has an informed opinion about it- what do you think?

My sister is an avid KH fan (me too, but not so much as of late) and she got RE:COM for Christmas.

I've been watching her play it for the last couple of days, and it depresses me to say that it's remind me of all the things I hate about the KH series. =/

I played the original COM on GBA and enjoyed it as filler, and nothing more. This PS2 version seems just kind of pointless and shoddy.

Any input?

i agree i really dont like the card based system it makes the gameplay so aawkward and goin threw the worlds was actually really boring. not a must hav but i guess its alright for hardcore fans

Well, I am a KH fan and I got the game on the release date just under a month ago ^_^

Although the card battle system did give me some issues and going through the worlds is a little time consuming, I wholeheartedly enjoyed the story, and that's the important thing. The depth of it and how it ties into the larger story of the Kingdom Hearts series is intriguing to play through. I loved the characters, their attitudes, the things they did that really made me go "whoa o_O", and especially being able to play from two separate POVs that are almost opposite but still having the same goals.

Although in the CoM context, we don't know the character's we meet as the Nobodies they are, it establishes a lot of things and why they are what they are in KH2. I mean, ideally you play CoM right after KH1 to set up for KH2, but I didn't so the beginning of KH2 made me go "what the hell..?"

The thing with CoM, it isn't a filler, it's part of the story. It's how the creators made it. One main thing right way it explains is why we start off in KH2 (technically) with Sora waking up in a pod-thing, and that's just a small thing. There's also why Riku and Mickey were wearing the "Nobody" robe and how they ended up doing what they were doing during that year Sora was sleeping and regaining his memories.

The only pissy issues I had was why the entire KH2 Final Mix+ wasn't released in North America, and for me, Riku's story being much shorter than Sora's :/

I mean, I clocked in 40 hours for Sora's POV, but only 10-11 hours for Riku's o_O

And I loved Riku's story so much. It made me realize how much he had to go through (and it's a lot; poor boy T.T), and he struggled along the way, but he turned out to be such an awesome dude in the end =D

So my opinion for Re:CoM is pretty good. It's one of the few games where I enjoyed the English dub (even though Sora and Riku sound like their KH2 selves rather than the ages they're portrayed to be), and it DEFINITELY fills in the gaps in the KH2 game (It's called Organization XIII, but there aren't 13 people o_O). The graphics were pretty nifty too, but that's not the most important thing. The battle system does make you think and not just do the simple button mashing; you can easily screw yourself over if you're not careful.

So yeah, I liked Re:CoM :monster:

Last edited:
I absolutely loved reCoM. I loved the battle system and how the cards made you have to strategize how you would defeat your enemy. Then the sense of bossilyness you get when you beat Axel! Yes! Hehe ;) Anyway, the voice acting was great, controls were all top notch. I didn't mind the lack of voices in the Disney worlds because the game was just very fun. I'd recommend it to anybody really. The card system takes some getting used to, but once you understand, you can do some serious pwnage with it.

I know this topic hasn't been updated for over a year but I just played through KH: re:CoM and I have thoughts so they shall go here.

I should add first that I have completed the GBA version (Which I am thrilled to have a boxed copy of :monsmash:) Which I really, really enjoyed. I have yet to beat Riku's story on re:CoM though.

I have to agree like previously mentioned Chain of Memories does not feel just like filler, I remember playing Kingdom Hearts II without ever playing Chain of Memories an I was just utterly lost. I think the concept of the castle is interesting. To lose is to gain and to gain is to lose, such a concept was fascinating to explore as the story progressed. I think the story started of very slow though, It felt constantly interrupted buy the Disney worlds sub-plots, which were a real drag. They didn't have much of an impact on the story, just occasionally slipping reference to the notion of forgetfulness. They should have had an encounter with the Organisation during a few of the Disney World segments like in Kingdom Hearts II. The meat of the story heats up around after your reach the 1oth floor and from then on I actually got far more engaged with the game. I won't go into spoilers, but from then on the game is far more satisfactory.

The gameplay as you probably already know is very different from Kingdom Hearts. I won't go into to much detail but I generally enjoyed the card based system in the game. At first It feels a bit limiting but you eventually get plenty of high number cards and sleights and by the last floor I was dominating competition. There are a lot of mechanics to get your head around, much like how a 0' numbered card can be a life saver but I never foudn the system tedious, in fact it was really accessible and a rather smart move for a game on a GBA originally.

However, there is one part I am not fond of. In the game to navigate the Disney World's you have a series of blank rooms. In which you can travel through and change depending on what Map Card you choose to unlock the door. The rooms are just generic preset rooms with the Disney Worlds theme and going through them these rooms just feels like a chore. I didn't mind it so much in the GBA version but I think re:CoM has much larger room and it just felt so time consuming. The last floor took me 4 hours to reach the end and I wasn't even going for all the secret features of the game (I'm tempted too but I see Platinuming re:CoM looks like such a chore). I found myself just using Reward Rooms as they gave you good Map Cards and it had plenty of enemies.

There is a lot to enjoyed with re:CoM. I'm glad they made it as CoM was the only game in the series in 2D. The cut scenes look weaker than Kingdom Hearts 1 - Some of the detail on the character models looks blurred in medium-long shots, though this is my assessment of Kingdom Hearts ReMix 1.5 HD. It was great to see some of the organisation members not featured in Kingdom Hearts II. Larxene's character was brought to life with splendid voice acting, she did a fantastic job teasing Sora. I wasn't to bothered about Sora's voice actor being older, still felt authentic to me.

Overall I really enjoyed playing re:CoM, it started out a slog but I became very immeresed near the end. I'll be sure to report back upon playing Riku's story. Which I am very much looking forward to as I haven't played Dream Drop Distance (Another game I want to be ported to PS3/PS4 please:)), So this will be the only time I've played as Riku in a 3D Kingdom Hearts game. I like the character very much so I am looking forward to it.

I have now played through Riku's story on RE:Chain of Memories, I felt it offered a very different experience, yet I found it to be more frustrating. In Riku's side of the story you progress through the Castle in the same manner as Sora did - So rising up the floors each represented by a Disney world. However the combat is very different. You cannot choose Riku's combat cards for battle which is very nauseating. At first I didn't mind as I had a decent set of card but on the mid floors the card select that was offered was appalling. I also wasn't getting much experience in these sections so instead of utilising all the rooms and beating all the enemies for max experience I just rushed through as I was beginning to find the experience tedious.

Another problem with Riku's section is that it really feels like an after thought, in Sora's story when you you visit a Disney world you follow through a story in that area. In Riku's you don't at all. Even the boss encounters have no introduction while in the worlds you just enter into the room and the battle begins. So much like in Sora's story most of the story is really set within the moments you pass through the Castle Oblivion areas between the next world. The story was engaging, but really sparse in between, I felt much like with Sora's story, there should have been more progression within the Disney Worlds - Though you do meet one Organisation member in a world section later on and that moment was thrilling, I just wish there were more like it.

The story was sufficient though and I am looking forward to playing Kingdom Hearts 2 in the Remix Edition released next month :)

Back