Advent Children marlene's new Do

Ironman

Tony Stark
Veteran
Gil
Did anyone asides me get reminded of Aerith by the way Marlene had her hair in AC. I came to this conclusion whilst Tifa was getting her ass beat by Loz, as it showed Marlene from behind i saw that her hair was plated and where the Plat begins she had a piece of red ribbon, this kinda reminded me of Aerith's plat and pink bow.

Did anyone else find this a coincidence or did you think that Marlene's hair was plated by one of the gang who miss Aerith (although i can't see cloud platting marlene's hair)

Perhaps so. She might have done up her hair to follow Aerith's style.. But i didn't really notice the similarity when i first saw her in AC, I was more focused on what's happening rather than the character's dressing etc.

i was more interested in the storyline to, but when you have seen every movie in your DVD collection as much as i have, you start noticing character design. and Marlene's new design reminded me of Aerith and so i brought it up to see if anyone else noticed

I could've sworn there was already a thread on this >_>

Well, like I'm sure I've said before, I think Square was trying to emphasize the fact that Marlene was trying to emulate Aerith's appearance as her own way of grieving. Although they probably didn't know each other very long in the game, Aerith obviously became very special and precious to Marlene. In the japanense version of AC, Marlene does refer to Aerith as "onee-san", right?

I thought there was one already too <_<

But yes, Marlene's appearence is very much like Aerith's. I read somewhere that the ribbon she wears actually is Aerith's, but I'm not sure whether that's true or not. Either way, having her dress as such was yet another way Square could emphasize the fact that Aerith was a very important woman to a lot of people.

In all honesty though, it amazes me how quickly Marlene came to idolize her. I mean she knew her what, all of 10 minutes? The only interaction Marlene has with her is when Aerith takes her to her house so she'll be safe, and as I said before, that didn't take that long o_O

In all honesty though, it amazes me how quickly Marlene came to idolize her. I mean she knew her what, all of 10 minutes? The only interaction Marlene has with her is when Aerith takes her to her house so she'll be safe, and as I said before, that didn't take that long o_O

this could have actually been a factor, aerith's adoptive mother could have spoke to marlene about Aerith and informed the youngster how important Aerith was, with her being an ancient and all, so marlene could have grown to idolise Aerith through her adoptive mother.

I actually noticed this right away, when the AC trailers first appeared.

Uhm... not much to say, as everyone else has said it all. Emphasis on Aeris' important on everyone blah blah :monster: Plus, since Aeris wasn't in the movie alot, having constant remindersof her keeps her presence in the mind of the viewers. In fact, the same could be said of Sephiroth and the SHM. Even though Marlene isn't exacly a remnant of Aeris' spirit or anything like Kadaj/Loz/Yazoo are to Seph, she almost represents alot of the same things Aeris did while she was alive in FF7.

I think it was appropriate to have this sort of character, to balance out the movie. Marlene was a convenient choice. Plus, her braid is much cuter than that weird bowl cut she had in FF7 :monster:

Well, like I'm sure I've said before, I think Square was trying to emphasize the fact that Marlene was trying to emulate Aerith's appearance as her own way of grieving. Although they probably didn't know each other very long in the game, Aerith obviously became very special and precious to Marlene. In the japanense version of AC, Marlene does refer to Aerith as "onee-san", right?

To say nothing of her reference to Aerith in her opening monologue.

I thought there was one already too <_<

But yes, Marlene's appearence is very much like Aerith's. I read somewhere that the ribbon she wears actually is Aerith's, but I'm not sure whether that's true or not.

No, it's just her remembrance ribbon, not 'the ribbon', which was left in the forgotten capitol.

Either way, having her dress as such was yet another way Square could emphasize the fact that Aerith was a very important woman to a lot of people.

I don't think it's so much idolize as appreciate.
Interesting note, the mention though Marlene sort of looks like a little Aerith, she actually behaves a whole hell of a lot like Tifa.

I actually noticed this right away, when the AC trailers first appeared.

Uhm... not much to say, as everyone else has said it all. Emphasis on Aeris' important on everyone blah blah :monster: Plus, since Aeris wasn't in the movie alot, having constant remindersof her keeps her presence in the mind of the viewers. In fact, the same could be said of Sephiroth and the SHM. Even though Marlene isn't exacly a remnant of Aeris' spirit or anything like Kadaj/Loz/Yazoo are to Seph, she almost represents alot of the same things Aeris did while she was alive in FF7.

I still have a thought that Aerith wasn't the last Cetra, she just thought she was, much like Nanaki thought he was the last of his kind, and that Marlene was still one through Eleanor.

I think it was appropriate to have this sort of character, to balance out the movie. Marlene was a convenient choice. Plus, her braid is much cuter than that weird bowl cut she had in FF7 :monster:

Agreed.

Ryushikaze said:
I still have a thought that Aerith wasn't the last Cetra, she just thought she was, much like Nanaki thought he was the last of his kind, and that Marlene was still one through Eleanor.

That is actually a very plausible route they could take in the next installment of the Compilation. Since the original people who lost the Cetra powers were the ones who developed into settled cities, it could be by returning to a ecofriendly lifestyle, there could be a reemergance of the Cetra race. Marlene could be an already existing descendant of the original Cetra who kept their powers (like Aeris was), or she could be the first example of the reemergance.

I think of it kind of like Fran and the Viera in FFXII. After not living in the woods for a long time, she lost her ability to hear the forest speak. I'm betting that had she returned to the woods, she would eventually be able to hear it speak once more.

I didn't really notice that but now that you mentioned that it might be true.Marlene really loved Aerith so maybe she wanted to do her hair like Aerith's or whatever.Maybe of course it's just a coincidence.Well done for noticing that.

The writers said (found on disk 2 in the DVD release) that they wanted the characters have a tribute of their fallen friend. Marlene had the hair style, and the characters had the pink ribbon on their arm. (some are very hard to see at times - with Vincent, it's very brief - few seconds worth of film when Marlene asked to use his phone, only to learn that he doesn't use one. - at the time)

i notice alot and i saw her like that i was about to cry cuz if you ask me she does look like areith only her cheeks are a little chubier

I wouldn't have noticed it if you didn't point it out. I imagine the pink bow and the platted hair was there as a tribute to Aerith. My guess is that the characters styled Marlene's hair similar to Aerith's as their way of remembering her.

Back