Manga Recommendation

Morrigan

Veteran
Gil
Since we have an anime recommendation thread already why not make a manga recommendation thread too.
There are many who prefer manga over anime so why not have a thread about mangas.
Feel free to recommend any manga but I'd Like you to explain the reason you recommend it to the others not just throw a name of a random one.

I think people should read Princess Ai as it is the best selling manga by TokyoPop.
I recommend it because it's a fantastic story. There are only three books so it's a short story. But I've heard that someone's going to continue making them. It's very good and it's full of hilarious quotes.

Could you tell us more about the plot because I'm really interested in it,the title seems really attractive.

Fushigi Yugi! It's very good, although I'd recommend books 1 - 13 (incl) and say skip 14 through to 18... They're really pointless and a bit dull to be honest. :/ Basic plot: The herion gets sucked into a legendary book and lives the legend - she IS the priestess the book's story is about. Her best friend Yui gets sucked in at the same time and...well, saying anything more would spoil it!

Immortal Rain is also fab and very under-rated. I've heard it's a bit like Trigun, although I think there's a little more romance in IR. The characters are all very good and the plot's great!

And then there's Imadoki! That's also by Yuu Watase (author of Fushigi Yugi) and is certainly worth checking out if anyone here has enjoyed any other mangas by her. The plot isn't very complicated... one of those girl-moves-to-new-town-alone-has-no-friends-but-is-later-loved-by-all mangas. :P

Then there's Chobits and A.I. Love You. They're both fairly similar, equally cute, and equally worthwhile. The typical geeky-man-falls-in-love-with-non-human mangas. (Oh! My Goddess is another of these, but I enjoyed it less) If I were to recommend one over the other...well, I could say. Saati and Freya (Yes, Freya, not Chi) are both 2 of my favourite manga characters and both bring something great to the story!
Note: Chobits is probably the most "unique" as A.I. Love You has a set of characters that are VERY similar to those found in Oh My Goddess: geeky guy, hopeless herion, wise "big sister", hyperactive "little sister".

Bitter Virgin is also good - better than the title implies, and different to what it implies too. It's only 4 books long too.

Last edited:
Could you tell us more about the plot because I'm really interested in it,the title seems really attractive.

Princess Ai?
It's a story about a girl who gets lost in Tokyo. She doesn't know who she is, where she's from and where she needs to go. All that she knows is her name, Ai. She carries a locket with the shape of a heart. Later in the manga she reveals her incredible singing talent.
She's basically trying to find out who she is. There are bad people following her all over the city. Fortunetly she meets new friends along the way.

ai01'.jpg

This is what she looks in the first book. Believe me, things will change as you enter the 2nd adn the 3rd book.

It may be a bit old and it is completed, but Fruits Basket is the best manga I've read so far. It's great because it's got plenty of humor, but the psychological issues of all the characters are very deep and the lessons you could learn from it are great. The whole storyline basically revolves around acceptance and finding your place in the world.
I enjoyed it very much, and I was sad to see it end, but you should check it out if you haven't already.

Interesting, it seems to me so far all of you are reccommending Shoujo manga. I'll keep up with this then..

Skip Beat! is also quite an interesting read. Story:

Kyoko Mogami, female protagonist, escapes her hometown with her lover, Fuwa Shoutaro, to Tokyo. There, Shou (His stagename) intends to forge a name for himself in the showbiz. Soon enough, he becomes famous, and decides its time to do away with Kyoko, whom he had regarded as a maid all along (As he had been used to being waited on most of his life)

Kyoko, overwhelmed by vegeance, swore to get revenge on Shou. Thus begins her journey to be a Star that outshines Shou... All in the name of revenge. Will she succeed?

I'm been reading up to the latest chapter so far on OneManga. I thought the acting was pretty realistic, in a sense. It showed how the actors put themselves into the characters.. And play the roles well, quite fascinating.

Well, thats for me to say. Try reading? Lol.

Definitely Saiyuki, Saiyuki Reload. It's got cute guys, awesome fighting scenes, albeit a bit gory, and plenty of drama. Reload is like the next series, and I think I have 3/4 volumes of it.

It's quite funny too, so it's got a bit of everything in it really!

Anyone who knows how to read should read Gantz.

Ok maybe not ANYONE considering the vast amount of nudity and unbelievable graphic violence. But still it's worth a read for anyone who isn't bothered by that kinda stuff. It has a very interesting, engaging storyline with believable characters and is very addictive once you get started. I encourage anyone to at least give it a try, I'll admit it's not for everyone though.

I got two:

Bleach - Yeeeah! Bleach is about a high school student named Kurosaki Ichigo who has the ability to see spirits. One day he meets/sees (normal humans cannot see) a Shinigami (that's a Death God -someone [they look like normal humans] whose job is to slay bad spirits called Hollows-) named Kuchiki Rukia who is hunting down a Hollow in Karakura Town, Ichigo's hometown. One thing leads to another and whaddaya know? Ichigo becomes a 'temporary' Shinigami as Rukia is injured. Thus begins Ichigo's adventures. Read. It. Now.

GTO - Not suitable for younger audiences. GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) is a 25 Volume masterpiece about an ex-biker gang member by the name of Eikichi Onizuka who becomes a teacher after seeing a female student jump out of a second story window to 'meet' (if you know what I mean..) her teacher/boyfriend, a short stocky ugly man. Onizuka becomes a teacher, and gets to teach the worst class in Holy Forest Academy. Throughout the story, he eventually turns them, one by one, into good people. Hard to explain, but it is funny, and it is worth reading.

I'd recommend Bitter Virgen.It's a Drama/Seinen manga.

.: Plot :.
At the school of the main character is a really weird girl,she keeps away from all the guys but no one knows why.While the main character was chatting with some of his friends they asked him with who he would go out with.He said that the only one he would never go out with was that girl.Later...He was being chased by some girls so he enters a church,that he had spread rumors of it being haunted,so they didn't follow him in there.He hid there but before he could leave the church that girl entered.She was new so she didn't know about the rumor of the church.Thinking he was the priest,she confessed to him her biggest secret...

If you want to know what,then read it.

I'd recommend Bloody Monday, it's really good all this thinking you gotta like it:

Genre:
action, drama, mature, school life, sci-fi, shounen

Plot:
A virus deal clinched in Russia on the Christmas eve. Purpose: unknown. Two clues: a mysterious lady "Maya", one of the gangsters, and "Bloody Monday", the keyword for the project.
Then an incident happened in far-distant city of Tokyo. Fujimaru Takagi, a second grade student at Mishiro Gakuin high school, is commissioned to find out the truth by Public Security Investigation Bureau for his great ability as a super hacker. Now, Maya, approaching to Fujimaru, as his high school teacher...

I recommend you the I"S if you like romance.It has some really funny twists and the characters are nice,it's a little old but I believe that's what makes it more special to me and more different than the mangas nowadays.I can't handle all these ecchiness in the rest that try to sell.So this one is pretty much fine.I haven't read too much of it yet.

Franken Fran.

It is the bizarre and more than a little twisted story about a patchwork girl named Fran who performs operations on those who need them. She does so willingly and happily for the good of love and humanity.

However it is sometimes with a bit of a "Monkey's Paw" twist.

A man who wanted his son brought back to live woke up after the procedure to find that his brain had been fused with his son's and his son's face was now grafted to the back of his head (they were inseparable after that).

A woman who desired immortality was made immortal...until the cells of her body replicated and rejuvenated to the end of their inherent functionality and she herself disintegrated.

And other such chapters. It's funny, charming, and most certainly NOT for the faint of heart. There's gore, occasional nudity, and a general sense that anyone who reads it must not be right in the head; to say nothing of the author himself. Still, it's one of my favorites :)

claymore10.gif
Claymore: Really this manga is amazing. You have these female warriors called Claymore's and they get that name because of the huge sword they carry. Claymores are only female, and get called on by villages to kill of these demons called youma. But while their doing that. Clare the lead female has revenge set for her. She wants to kill an awakened binning named Priscilla. And the whole story is full of action and its worth reading!

Other recommendations:
1. Red River:
A seemingly ordinary modern day teenager, Yuri, is suddenly whisked away to the Hittite empire in ancient Anatolia, where an ambitious queen wants the girl for a blood sacrifice in order to murder all heirs but her son, thus seizing control of the throne. Luckily, the timely intervention of Prince Kail saves Yuri from the queen's grasp. Kail promises to send Yuri back to her home, but the queen's persistent schemes to kill them both, plus their growing feelings for each other, keep those plans delayed.
-Wikipedia.

2. Bloody Kiss:
Katsuragi Kiyo inherits a mansion from a grandmother that she never heard of.There at the mansion Kiyo meets Kuroboshi who's a half human, half vampire with his servent Alsh.What will happen during her life?!
-Myanimelist.

3. Absolute Boyfriend:
Rejected way too many times by good-looking (and unattainable) guys, shy Riiko Izawa goes online and signs up for a free trial of a mysterious Nightly Lover "figure." The very next day a cute naked guy is delivered to her door, and he wants to be her boyfriend! Has Riiko died and gone to heaven? The cute guy turns out to be sweet, smart, a great cook, and lots more. And he looks like a million bucks, which is what he's going to cost Riiko if she doesn't return him in time...
-Myanimelist

Beck - was a pretty awesome music thingy manga, the storyline was good and you'll enjoy the characters

Bleach - still on going, many characters that has different stories..its a bit long but worth reading...

I would personally recommend :HOTD -High school of the Dead
Drama,School Life,action,Horror,Mature,Mistery,Psihologycal etc

The plot:
An unknown pandemic has flooded Japan and is on the rise of causing Havoc among humanity. Although this lethal disease is unknown, the way it is passed on is deadly. Those who get bitten by 'them,' die and come back as a zombie and feed on the flesh of living human.

Meanwhile in Japan, a group of high school students and a school nurse have joined forces, to escape the already contagious Fujimi High School, in their attempt to investigate who or what was responsible for this plague.

Along the way, the group saves a young girl and a puppy from the clutches of death, whilst trying to find their families.

Friendships and allies will be made; lives will be saved and lost; hearts will be broken; and love will be found. However, can the group, with a doctor, swordswoman, strategist, gunsman, a noble puppy, a young girl, a fighter and their leader survive through the wreckage of hell, or will they all slowly fade away and become one of the billions of people among the dead?

Found out and read, the thrilling, mysterious, erotic and epic story; Highschool of the Dead!

I prefer the manga mostly,even though an Anime is airing right now ^^''
Enjoy reading it if you like some good action and life-death situations xD

A heads up for anyone looking into the manga that's been recommended thus far;

Publishers are now stating that they disapprove of ANY manga hosting site, and as a result, mangahelper, onemanga, and many others are now shutting down their hosted series. Mangafox is staying as far as I know, as is mangareader.

In other words, anyone not already grabbing manga directly from the scanlators' sites is going to have to start doing so :p

Anyway with regards to Bleach; I'll say that the start and up through the Soul Society arc is well worth it, but events after that kinda fall to "people with swords vs. other people with swords".

I recommend my 5 favourite manga.
1. Rurouni Kenshin. Yeah, my favourite manga, was, is and always will be. Epic characters, great plot and the art style is pretty good. Talented mangaka is talented.

2. Vagabond. For me, Vagabond is the best manga about Samurai/Ninja (even better than RuroKen). This manga is just epic.

3. Slam Dunk. I'm not even a basketball fan, but this manga is amazing. Funny, amazing characters and the plot is pretty good.

4. Sidooh. Oh yeah, here is the most underrated Samurai/Ninja manga. Sidooh reminds me of Vagabond very much. All Samurai/Ninja fans must read Sidooh!

5. Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan. I will tell you the truth. Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan is one of few manga that when I read it, I cried. One of the best manga out there and it has only 8 chapters.

It may be a bit old and it is completed, but Fruits Basket is the best manga I've read so far. It's great because it's got plenty of humor, but the psychological issues of all the characters are very deep and the lessons you could learn from it are great. The whole storyline basically revolves around acceptance and finding your place in the world.
I enjoyed it very much, and I was sad to see it end, but you should check it out if you haven't already.

I second this recommendation. Fruits Basket is an absolutely wonderful manga. Twenty-three volumes of humour, romance, and a collection of cute guys who turn into animals when hugged. X3

I loved Furuba from the moment I saw it. I was in absolute hysterics, and you will be torn for a favourite character. Highly recommended.

Back