Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Bambi Branford
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Did you bother?

I never did until this play through and I discovered the wonders of magic Pots. I have mastered all my green ones so far, and I'd almost mastered all my yellows til an unfortunate incident with some flying eyeballs that caught me in a pincer attack

Anyway, I plan on mastering them all, even the Summons, just as long as I dont lose several hours progress again >_>

I've mastered them all and got me another set of Master Materia to go with what I nabbed from the Kalm Traveler. Only I did it BEFORE finding out the wonders of Magic Pot. This was years ago. Last playthrough though I started using the Magic Pot's but, just like you, getting double teamed by Evil Eye's can prove disasterous. Got so pissed off with it I haven't been back since, though considering playing it again after I do my New Game+ of CC....which I seem to have given up with also.....

Did you do it in the crashed Gelnika? I always used to try to master them, but I just couldn't be bothered, Id give up - actully, I think I got close to mastering some stuff on my last play through, but I lost the memory card, either that or it's one of the ones that doesnt work anymore

And I well wasn't amused at those eyeballs either, everytime I tried to heal, I died, until there was only cloud left with like 300 hp and he got hit in the back......grrr

Nope, I did it around Mideel, fighting packs of 3-4 Headhunters or Sleep Worms (or whatever they are called). Equipping Weapons and Armour with Triple or Double growth. It took a LONG time but I was young and naive, never wanting to go too far into the Northern Crater because after going passed a certain point I could never seem to get back out. Now I have it sussed and fear not seeking the Magic Pot's.

I never stay in the Gelnika more than I have too. :wacky:

I just dont have the patience to master the materia it takes soooo long by which time ive long stopped playing. However i find it usefull for marking my progress in the game i always remember mastering ' seal ' before you go snowboardin, so if it isnt mastered by then i know im weaker than my previous playthru.

I've never taken the time to master all Materia. I figure if I've got two sets of master materia, why bother on the others. I have a hard time seeing the point. I guess tehre is a certain cool factor but I've never been willing to spend that much time for something so meaningless.

Yep, I mastered every single materia. I was really into FF7 and it took me over 3 months (during a summer vacation) to train my characters and mastering the materias. I spent basically all day doing that...I was beginning to think I was crazed. :wacky: I think that and FF8 was really the only games in which I really spent a lot of time and dedication for.

Well yeah I got really bored so I mastered all my materia. Right after I was just too ^powerful and I jusk kept training until level 76 or something and then I got really bored and I said to myself what was all that for?

I had mastered every materia 3 times on one game file just so that all three of my party members could use them. I did alot of AP farming in the Northern Crater just from killing off Magic Urns (I used the W-Item materia trick to get the Elixirs) and Movers. It took me about 3 weeks to do it but that was because I had a lot of free time on my hands.

I did try this when i was playing the game. Mainly because I wanted to have at least 3 of each materia (one for each main character in my battle), but some take soooo long. The main one's I wanted of course were summon one's even though I didn't summon as much in FFVII as I did in other games.

I think though i have about 20-some HP Plus' mastered.

I just started reading this forum, and I figured I would put in my two cents - I can be a power gamer from time to time, and this concerns me with Final Fnatasy VII - it takes so much to level up a Materia, the game gets repetitious. When I played Final Fantasy V, I wanted to master all the jobs early in the game, but the problem is that after a while, I got bored playing Final Fantasy V. It was the same thing over and over, and aquiring the AP to master up all the jobs goes very slowly. So yeah, the game got old and I lost interest before I got a ways into the game. My fear is that Final Fantasy VII will be the same way. I haven't played far into it yet, so I could be wrong, but this has been my concern.

I just started reading this forum, and I figured I would put in my two cents - I can be a power gamer from time to time, and this concerns me with Final Fnatasy VII - it takes so much to level up a Materia, the game gets repetitious. When I played Final Fantasy V, I wanted to master all the jobs early in the game, but the problem is that after a while, I got bored playing Final Fantasy V. It was the same thing over and over, and aquiring the AP to master up all the jobs goes very slowly. So yeah, the game got old and I lost interest before I got a ways into the game. My fear is that Final Fantasy VII will be the same way. I haven't played far into it yet, so I could be wrong, but this has been my concern.
Don't be so much of a power gamer then in that case. Mastering all the jobs early would surely take the enjoyment out of the game somewhat as you are supposed to master them accordingly as you go along. If you spend so much time levelling up and mastering early then the challenge of the game will have been lost as you breeze through it. Not to mention the countless hours of fighting the same monsters over and over and over... when you could leave it until later and make use of battles with better AP and EXP gains.

FFVII has new materia to find throughout the course of the game so shouldn't be the same but again, if you grind and max out everything as you get it, you're doing yourself a great injustice.

Honestly, I never bothered maxing out my materia. The only maxing out I really cared about doing was my characters and getting them all to level 99. If, during that time, materia happens to level up as well then great. I never went out of my way to master them.

Back