Square Enix The Last Remnant

The Last Remnant, PS3

So, since I am finally almost done with FFXII (and thoroughly enjoying it!) I was looking at something else to play. I am drawn to the Last Remnant just because it looks so epic and looks like it definately has a Square Enix RPG style. The big question is, when is it coming out on PS3??? If anyone has any information, please let me know. Thanks!

(Hopefully there isnt a whole thread about this . . . I'm new to the site, and I couldn't find anything about it so far)

Sadly, Last Remnant is Xbox exclusive only. It really peeved me off until I got an Xbox :monster:

Is it really not coming out for PS3? Everywhere I look, it just says TBA 2009 . . . This sucks . . .

It is still TBC for PS3 as far as we know, SquareEnix just haven't got off their asses and actually made a game for the PS3 yet, well at least not released one.

PC version's coming soon though, so you might be able to pick it up then, although it looks as though it'll take a fair system to run it.

I think it has been announced for the PS3, but I'd imagine that it would take a long time to convert it from the 360 to the PS3, which is why no more information's been released yet. I think maybe a release date for fall, or christmas 2009 would be plausible. And it has been released for the PC, but I think you'd need like a gaming PC to run it.

I finally restarted the game last night since I got an HDTV and can now view the text clearly. I left off 30 minutes into the game in my first playthrough, so it's not much. This time around, I find it much more likable, addicting even. I am not so annoyed with the battle system anymore and can finally appreciate the tactic-side and uniqueness to it. Not to mention that I finally took the time to really grasp and understand what the battle entails.

I just unlocked the 'Timing is Everything' achievement so that's one down, 21 to go. (I doubt I'd actually get all 22).

My only regret about the battle system is that it does not give you money for every battles won. I think that's kinda lame. I mean sure there's the whole 'Capturing Enemies' deal which you can sell at the shop for a decent price, but it doesn't help if your goal is to 'split' the captured enemies for components. I just wished they could have given us some slack concerning the loots. I guess the main way to go is defeating boss battles (that's a given) and doing lots and lots and lots of quests.

Its difficult for me to sometimes read text as I have a fishbowl TV screen, it can be a pain and I constantly have to mess with brightness on my TV to allow me to see the text clealy.

You need a HDTV screen to fully see the text and I am sure having a fishbowl screen doesn't help any so I would recommend getting the proper tv first. I love The Last Remnant I have just beaten the game last week and it took a lot of patience from me let me tell you. But it's a fantastic game for anyone who is looking for a different kind of RPG. I missed 4 achievements but I might go back and do them depends if I finish Killzone 2 first. Rush and Dave are so into each other its not even funny.

Ok this is going to be a rant. No I'm not asking for any help because I've decided to restart the game since I know I messed up a few times in the beginning when recruiting leaders and soldiers (I wasn't looking at their stats and just recruited randomly, and then kept switching them around with new ones.) So this time I'm buying a guide (got tired of online guides) and whatnot and play the game right.

Anyway! I'm on Disc 2, at Base freakin' 5 and this @#$%^&* Young boss almost made me throw my controller at my HDTV screen. After 5 attempts and 4 hours of TRYING to beat him and not even getting close, I decided that it's time to restart. I was too overpowered (Battle Rank 75) and apparently that makes the Bosses harder. Well I figured I wouldn't be able to beat the Conquerer that way anyway, so might as well restart now. Young kept doing Brawl II which kills one or two of my unions at a time, even though I try not to deadlock him, but heck, he keeps going after my unions anyway.

One thing I'm pissed about is how the battle rank system is. The game even SUGGESTS that the more enemies you link together, the higher the rewards. Uh, oops? So I kept linking my enemies together (and still got some pretty shitty rewards) and before ya' know it, my characters have a high BR and very low stats level ups!! It's like...I'm overpowered but underleveled, which is stupid. So grinding is supposed to be a negative thing now? I wish I could have known about this at the beginning of the game, not after Disc 2.

So I'm restarting this (because I do wanna beat this game) and play it right. I made the mistake when it comes to soldiers and not setting them up properly. I should also STICK to my soldiers from the beginning until end. And I want to get Baulson next time. (Although I really like Gaou too, but I don't get him until later in the game, and I really need a strong Yama by then). I'm still sticking with Caedmon since he's awesome. So my 6 main leaders should be:

Rush, Dave, Emmy, Irina, Caedmon, and Baulson.

Anyway, I'll make sure that I have a low BR by the time I get him (that means saving the majority of the quests at the end of Disc One) and just keep going with the main storyline. After I get my guys, I should be set and do the quests. I want to have a BR of a little over 60 when I reach the Bases. My soldiers and leaders should gain more level ups too if I stop linking enemies together so many times. -_-

So yeah, there's my rant of the day.

Ummm ughhh I can not play this game because of stupid unreadable disc all the fucking time. I swear I would have passed this game by now but sadly im still in the beggining because of the above. Oh and Mits you restarted? I thought battle rank is determined by hom much enemises you defeat or something. But wow that sucks having to restart from disc 1 and really you can use Irina? I did not know cause I fucking never rescued her. I was at the point where you beat the fire spirit that wagram summons. I am right after that in Ellysion. Gosh I wish my game would work!!! So yeah Mits this game really pisses you off? What level were you anyway? Cause like Im only level 15 I think. Does battle rank rewally make the game harder?

That's just the thing - I just bought the game guide and nowhere does it say that as your battle rank increases, the harder the boss gets. In fact is encourages you to chain monsters together. Problem with that though is I heard that the more chains you link together, the faster your BR levels up, therefore you miss the chance of having your characters level their stats. So if you grind, grind, grind, your BR would increase a lot that by the time you reach a certain boss in Disc 2, it is completely frustrating because it's almost impossible to beat. Like, I heard people with a BR of 110 can't even beat The Fallen, yet people with a lower battle rank have no problem doing so.

So this is all based on players' experiences, and I honestly think it's true as well. And yes, you can use Irina. I heard she becomes really powerful with her mystic powers, and is the best healer in the game, but that's all based on opinions too, of course.

And I had a BR of 75 in Base 5. This game has no level system.

Last edited:
Well I have gotten through the game a little because I teached my game disc and really good lesson. It worked for the whole night and I got past Numor Mine and I am now at the black cloaked guy sidequest. I beat the cloaked guy today but guess what happened the game got revenge and freezed when I beat him. Not even a chance to save. Well he is easy anyway. I have 40 G in The Last Remnant now. Managed to get some acheivements. My Br is 21 I think. Well if I ever play this again today I will have to teach the game another lesson. Well I am happy that I got a little far. Oh and Suki what point in the game do you get Irina? My Rush has the commanders Rapier equiped which is pretty good. Where can I get strong leaders besides the 4 generals and David?

You get Irina at the beginning of Disc 2. And I really suggest you get Caedmon and Baulson.

So I beat that boss Young on my 2nd play through - he was a cinch! I took careful watch of my units' BR and made sure that I fought harder battles and tried to avoid easy ones. I'm now training at the Ancient Ruins (DLC) and those enemies there are hard. >.> But I managed. It sucks when I'm about to finish a battle and one of my union suddenly dies. -_- I'd restart the battle over even if it takes me about half-an-hour to do each one. I'm THAT paranoid about that characters' stats and making sure that they go up per battle, and that means EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER must be alive when the battle ends.

I think I'm getting way into this. >.>

I'm also about to fight The Fallen, but I'm still trying to gain some stats at Ancient Ruins. I heard The Fallen is ridiculously hard...can't wait to fight him. I'm doing every single quests here too just so I can face The Absolute Conqueror, which is apparently harder than the regular Conqueror. I hope I don't regret doing all the sidequests...because I heard that even TLR veterans had trouble defeating Absolute Conqueror and were pretty lucky when they did so. =/

Ahhhhh Lucky girl you are Suki. Ummmm I mean this game I s addicting and I do plan on beating those bastards tommorow. Anyways ill use your strategy again! Cause it almost worked Hehe. I want to beat this game as much as you do but its just that sometimes I get stuck and need to ask you (the expert) for help. I want to beat the fallen too. Anyways Good luck to you.

Ahhhhh Lucky girl you are Suki. Ummmm I mean this game I s addicting and I do plan on beating those bastards tommorow. Anyways ill use your strategy again! Cause it almost worked Hehe. I want to beat this game as much as you do but its just that sometimes I get stuck and need to ask you (the expert) for help. I want to beat the fallen too. Anyways Good luck to you.

About 3 years later...

...Did you manage to finish this game? :hmmm: I can't believe I took a long break from this game...usually it's very hard to get back into the groove once you leave the game unfinished for many months. I did beat The Fallen though...that was an amazing gameplay experience - memorable even, since it was one of those it's-all-or-nothing last move which turned out to be successful (otherwise I would've died). That's probably why it's such a huge accomplishment...one boss battle can take you 45 mins to over an hour to beat.

I just need to beat the final boss (The Conqueror) and I'm done with the game. It's been 3 years though. I remember I was kinda stuck in a maze and trying to strengthen my units at the same time. One of the most intricate games I've ever played...

Ok this is going to be a rant. No I'm not asking for any help because I've decided to restart the game since I know I messed up a few times in the beginning when recruiting leaders and soldiers (I wasn't looking at their stats and just recruited randomly, and then kept switching them around with new ones.) So this time I'm buying a guide (got tired of online guides) and whatnot and play the game right.

Anyway! I'm on Disc 2, at Base freakin' 5 and this @#$%^&* Young boss almost made me throw my controller at my HDTV screen. After 5 attempts and 4 hours of TRYING to beat him and not even getting close, I decided that it's time to restart. I was too overpowered (Battle Rank 75) and apparently that makes the Bosses harder. Well I figured I wouldn't be able to beat the Conquerer that way anyway, so might as well restart now. Young kept doing Brawl II which kills one or two of my unions at a time, even though I try not to deadlock him, but heck, he keeps going after my unions anyway.

One thing I'm pissed about is how the battle rank system is. The game even SUGGESTS that the more enemies you link together, the higher the rewards. Uh, oops? So I kept linking my enemies together (and still got some pretty shitty rewards) and before ya' know it, my characters have a high BR and very low stats level ups!! It's like...I'm overpowered but underleveled, which is stupid. So grinding is supposed to be a negative thing now? I wish I could have known about this at the beginning of the game, not after Disc 2.

So I'm restarting this (because I do wanna beat this game) and play it right. I made the mistake when it comes to soldiers and not setting them up properly. I should also STICK to my soldiers from the beginning until end. And I want to get Baulson next time. (Although I really like Gaou too, but I don't get him until later in the game, and I really need a strong Yama by then). I'm still sticking with Caedmon since he's awesome. So my 6 main leaders should be:

Rush, Dave, Emmy, Irina, Caedmon, and Baulson.

Anyway, I'll make sure that I have a low BR by the time I get him (that means saving the majority of the quests at the end of Disc One) and just keep going with the main storyline. After I get my guys, I should be set and do the quests. I want to have a BR of a little over 60 when I reach the Bases. My soldiers and leaders should gain more level ups too if I stop linking enemies together so many times. -_-

So yeah, there's my rant of the day.

I dont know how you even managed to stay sane enough to make it to disc 2 but I give you props for making it that far. Im getting so tired of the boss battles with freaking mobs backing them up. Ive been training like crazy mainly to level up my combat skills and mystic skills to tier V. Just finished the Gates of Hell (glad i didnt die cause the boss before it was a pain and they didnt let me save) but Im right on the next part after you rescue Irina and you fight the Jager with the bird and a big mob in the back. Idk why they thought it would be a good idea to include mobs in their boss fights cause its so stupid. I can't even ignore them either cause they do to much damage once its my turn again.

I read what you said about the Battle Rank and that pisses me off even more that the system is done like that. And if you struggled to the point where you had to reset then Im realy not looking forward to it...then again it might not happen anyway cause jager is getting on my nerves and anymore boss fights with mobs is really gonna tick me off. I dont know how much more I can take, but Im gonna attempt the jager a fight a few more times but if these boss fights are gonna be like this for the rest of the game then I think Im just gonna break the disc -_-

I dont know how you even managed to stay sane enough to make it to disc 2 but I give you props for making it that far. Im getting so tired of the boss battles with freaking mobs backing them up. Ive been training like crazy mainly to level up my combat skills and mystic skills to tier V. Just finished the Gates of Hell (glad i didnt die cause the boss before it was a pain and they didnt let me save) but Im right on the next part after you rescue Irina and you fight the Jager with the bird and a big mob in the back. Idk why they thought it would be a good idea to include mobs in their boss fights cause its so stupid. I can't even ignore them either cause they do to much damage once its my turn again.

I read what you said about the Battle Rank and that pisses me off even more that the system is done like that. And if you struggled to the point where you had to reset then Im realy not looking forward to it...then again it might not happen anyway cause jager is getting on my nerves and anymore boss fights with mobs is really gonna tick me off. I dont know how much more I can take, but Im gonna attempt the jager a fight a few more times but if these boss fights are gonna be like this for the rest of the game then I think Im just gonna break the disc -_-

Haha, I hear ya. But for some reason, there was something about this game that was really fun for me. I don't think I've ever gotten so frustrated with any games I've played other this particular one, and for that I was actually determined to play through it carefully from the beginning until the end. Well, almost the end. I can't manage to turn on my XBox 360 anymore. Are you still playing this game? :D

I think SE is still having that April sale, and Last Remnant (PC Download) is going for $3.75 (normal price $15). That's a sweet deal. I'm tempted. :hmmm:

I remember that battle you're talking about (though nothing in detail), and that was a pain. Gosh, I wish can tell you more about this, but my memory's failing me. Did you ever battle Castanea and Roeas? http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/t...efeating-Castanea-and-Roeas-First-time-around

But yeah, the secret recipe for defeating these bosses: a low Battle Rank. I spent a lot of time trying to dodge enemies when entering caves and only fighting the ones that I know would drop items I needed. This is the only game in which every battle that I completed, I dreaded leveling up.

@Mitsuki do not even remind me of that battle. I remember cursing for too long at it. Then with and without your strategy, I beat them. I still remember!

Anyway....

I plan on getting back to this game real soon. Probably during the summer since I am out of school soon. It has been gathering so much dust and I never actually beat it. In fact I still remember the days where my disc would not work. That continued for awhile and until disc 2 it was fine till the gates of hell fight. I never did that fight due to the disc errors. However, I did replace my disc about a month ago and I am looking to work at finally completing the game. Same with Infinite undiscovery.

I probably will not be the original completionist I wanted to be. I remember Mits encouraging me to fight the Fallen and even the Absolute Conqueror. It is too bad I wont be doing that because various new titles await. I just want to finish the game already.

If this helps, I am at the gates of hell fight and just need to put my new disc in. How much hours have I got left. This is pretty much maybe a few minutes after
Emma dies and Emmy joins the party.

I am going to need to learn how to play again because I remember it is one complicated game to play. I really do hope I can finish it until the end though. It is sad since I got the game for Christmas the year it came out. >.<

Back