[FF IX] Would you like to see a remake/spinoff to this game?

If there was a remake id play it, but everything would have to be the same bar the graphics.
A simple GFX improvement would be awesome, but content should remain untouched. The story is wonderful and I would not want that ruined.

Hopefully they make it for the Playstation Network. I would love this game portable.

*Mod Edit: Please try to put a bit more effort into your posts. If you'd like a remake, tell us why.*

Last edited by a moderator:
I've debated about this with myself for a while, but unlike FVII where it was just a pure lack of graphical power for such a huge project, FFIX had a charm in its style. It felt like a storybook, with its backgrounds being the many pages of the book and the dialogue balloons feeling like...well, the books dialogue. A graphical enhanced version would be great, but not necessary.
A spin off or sequel though...definitely a no thanks. I'm not a major fan of Advent Children and what it did to the characters of FVII, nor the spin offs that came from it. I like how the other games were meant to be self contained and I'm pretty sure this story has a very, very satisfying conclusion. There's no need to eke it out anymore than it already is.

Easily one the best FF's IMO and as such it's one of my favourites. Pretty similar to my feeling about FF7.

FF7 IMO has been completely ravaged with all the spin offs/sequels and it ruined the integrity of the original.

In discussions like this I always bring up Fawlty Towers. A great comedy show that John Cleese decided to pull the plug on in fear of ruining the series. He made 2 seasons and stopped and it'll always be remembered as a gem of British comedy.

I would like to see more of the cast of FF9, believe me. I was especially drawn into the relationship between Zidane and Garnet. But I don't want any spin offs or sequels, I want this awesome game to be preserved.

A remake would be good but it would need to be very close to the original. Especially on story aspects and music wise.

In discussions like this I always bring up Fawlty Towers. A great comedy show that John Cleese decided to pull the plug on in fear of ruining the series. He made 2 seasons and stopped and it'll always be remembered as a gem of British comedy.

A perfect analogy using one of my favourite shows, no less. I agree, and most self contained 'epics' have this quality. Probably why I dislike the recent Jak games beyound Jak II.

Now that I think about it, the game often reminds me of some dreams I often have...getting to know all these people through this long journey, only having to say goodbye and wake up to reality. It's a distant, orange feeling, and FFIX is a game viewed often through sepia. I'm only glad I can revisit it when I can.

I think the ending was perfect. I don't want a spin off because I love the ending so much and do not want anything changing it (think X-2 >.>).

As far as a remake, I sure wouldn't hate it. I would appreciate a remake of any of the Final Fantasies, and IX could use the graphical update.

I would LOVE to see a remake with: Optional activation of Trance, quicker Trance bars, faster battling, easier way of getting Excalibur II, higher rate of Chocograph finds on Hot and Cold, give rewards for playing Tetra Master, Enhanced sound and visuals (obviously), and I think that would do it. The story was absolutely perfect. I see little to no room for improvement there.

FFVII gets so many remakes. IX, being one of the best in the series, deserves one too. I think it's time Square does something about it. I sure would love to hear who they choose to provide Steiner's and Eiko's voices.

As much fun as IX was, I would actually have to say no to a remake or spinoff. The graphics were good enough that they couldn't really be improved much IMO, and I think this game had THE most satisfying ending out of really any game I've ever played, FF or not, as far as tying up all the loose ends. I mean, there's really no character I can think of that I feel I need to learn more about, the story was told so well.

I would love a remake and/or spinoff to this.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel FFIX was one of the underrated and overlooked games of the entire series. On the other hand, I feel it's one of the best. However, it could also be the fact it's overshadowed constantly by FFVII. And I do agree FFVII has WAY too many of these.

Fine time that an unexpected FF such as this one gets a chance in there.

I'd like to see some kind of sequel to be honest. Frankly I want to see if the Burmecians manage to rebuild. And what becomes of Garland's plan. He said the worlds were still merging, upon his death.

But I'd be fine with anything involving any characters. It's revisiting the world itself that I'd be most interested in.

A remake... that would make me so happy. I would go out and buy a ps3 if they only made it on there. so many things they can do now, voice acting, better cut scenes(as if they could get better), more secret bosses, MOAR WEAPONS BWOHAHAHAHAH. I would even pay over $100 for the special edition if it came as one.

I would want to see one of two things, either an anime [possibly something to do with vivi zidane or freya's back stories] or another game [spinoff] set some time in the future where another new threat rises and a new generation of heroes comes and meets our old heroes and learns from them. could be an MMO if it really wanted to.

I would want to see one of two things, either an anime [possibly something to do with vivi zidane or freya's back stories] or another game [spinoff] set some time in the future where another new threat rises and a new generation of heroes comes and meets our old heroes and learns from them. could be an MMO if it really wanted to.

I agree. Vivi and Freya could use more closure and an MMO set in Gaia? Twelve copies, please. Could also be set in Terra, maybe.

Did Kuja just carpet-Bomb the surface of Terra or did he DBZ-style obliterate it? It's been a while.

I think Terra was totally destroyed.

Freya's story could certainly be extended beyond the end of FFIX, but surely Vivi gets all the closure anyone needs in the FFIX ending? Not sure there's much else you can touch upon with him.

I don't think they need to do a re-make, but a sequel that is obviously advanced in technology like FF13, would be really good. Maybe a movie now with them being a little bit older and stuff wouldn't be bad either. But a sequel is what I would prefer.

the sequel sounds like a true steam-punk technology style game :3 i like it. zidane with steam powered double chainsaw anyone? xD

Of course, Final Fantasy IX is my favorite Final Fantasy game of all time. With high-quality graphics for next-gen consoles, a remake is possible if Nomura and the others would focus their to their past games (much like what they did to Final Fantasy IX). Hope for a spin-off for the coming years.

I can't see a Prequel happening... well then again.... The story could take place when Kuja Drops Zidane Off on Gaia, but not enough story line to make it actually good (if u know what i mean). You can't just suddenly add stuff to a game because then it'll ruin the storyline. A Sequel.... i did give it some thought once but what could they actually do? Necron gets reborn like he said at the end the game saying something about being Eternal or something along those lines lol. A remake hell ya! but you can't just add characters it'll ruin it.... more mini games sure, new places? no.... Like Final Fantasy VII if they make a remake of it i'm more than sure they won't add anything new for the sake of the game... i for one would be dissapointed if they make a remake and made it look shitty i'd be depressed for the rest of my life lol!

I can't see a Prequel happening... well then again.... The story could take place when Kuja Drops Zidane Off on Gaia, but not enough story line to make it actually good (if u know what i mean). You can't just suddenly add stuff to a game because then it'll ruin the storyline. A Sequel.... i did give it some thought once but what could they actually do? Necron gets reborn like he said at the end the game saying something about being Eternal or something along those lines lol. A remake hell ya! but you can't just add characters it'll ruin it.... more mini games sure, new places? no.... Like Final Fantasy VII if they make a remake of it i'm more than sure they won't add anything new for the sake of the game... i for one would be dissapointed if they make a remake and made it look shitty i'd be depressed for the rest of my life lol!

I agree, new places in a remake could hurt the game. However, I think they should add bonus dungeons (which should appear after passing the game). Maybe a dungeon where the characters find parallel versions of themselves, or maybe the party finding themselves in a difficult maze or cave. Maybe Sephiroth, Emperor, Golbez, or even Kefka making a cameo appearance as superbosses.

And yes, I played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I think their bonus dungeons are great.

Back