[FF8] Would you like to see a remake/spinoff to this game?

I'd say yes... As long as they didn't add extra (and in my opinion) pointless characters like a certain Mr.G. If they keep the story the same, and just update the systems I think it'd be great. (Unlike some, I loved the junction system :P)

To hear them voiced, and see them in HD would be awesome. But then, that's possibly because they haven't milked it to utter death yet. :P

I'd like to see FFVIII Remake on PS3 with maybe new side quests and weapons. But I'd like no new changes in the main storyline or characters and GF.

I would love for 7 and 8 to be remade with PS2/PS3 graphics. I think that would just be amazing.

8 had amazing graphics for it's time, even now it's not that bad but it could be A LOT better.

Just to imagine the gameplay 8 would be like if it was like 10. I think 10 has a massive fanbase because of how realistic it looks and feels. Every cutscene felt like an FMV sequence. If 8 had such great character detail and expressions all the way through (not just in the FMV's) then it would be an even more brilliant game! Just imagine what 10 would have been like if it had swapped graphics with 8, it wouldn't have been as popular.

Anyone else see this?
(Sorry if it's already been posted)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VREs1rAq9bU

It shows how the game would look with PS2 INGAME graphics! Similar to how FF10 is. I don't think people are making a fuss about this one though because they used the famous scene that was an FMV (should have used a different scene), so a lot of stupid people think it actually looks worse because it doesn't look as good as the FMV. But that's how the game would look all the way through!!

Last edited:
I would honestly love if this masterpiece was remade but enix DID NOT change anything (when they do things go wrong) example - ff2 for the gameboy with enixs added in minigame called soul of rebirth which was brutal, anyway thats off topic, i would like it to be realeased on all platforms with decent voice actors and yet try to keep the feel it had on the ps1, this may be a far away reality but its nice dreaming!.

I'd like to see a remake but from Seifer's POV tbh. He was gone/by himself/in other locations for very very large portions of the game. I think it'd be interesting to see what he was up too and what kind of shenanigans him, Fuujin and Rajin were up too.

Plus I just don't want to look at Squall ever again LOL

I totally agree with Laguna, the story was believable with a mythic flare. 3 things that I would suggest would be: 1. Remake the game by only changing the graphics, amazing voice talent, and keep the same script and enviroment. 2. Make a prequel kinda like Crisis Core, but with Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. 3. A movie, but before I get hated on, make it without the snoozing that came with Advent Children. The only great part of the movie was the final battle.

No. Simply because I thought it was the worst one in the series, because Square tried to hard to make it better than FF 7. They should have just made a completely different game, but instead they pretty much made a crappy remake of FF 7.

7 and 8 are competely different. They are not one and the same, for one the rivals are different Mama's boy Sephiroth just couldn't handle that he was different and decided the world should pay for Hojo's doing. Siefer on the other hand is just a guy a misunderstood guy trying to achieve his dream. Cloud is a let-down of a hero and ruined lives. 1. He let Zack die 2. took Zack's girl (Aeris/Aerith) 4. let her die and watched. Honestly wtf. Squall isn't much of a pussy as most claim. He is just anti-social and feels others are a liability and doesn't wish for people to get hurt so he would ideally fight alone. Ultimecia controlled Edea through time and possession and was involved in politics and the military, spreading her influence to reign in control of the world through out all time. Shinra controlled the world in an unrealistic monopoly which has political influence somehow. Like each Final Fantasy the fighting and accumulative system is different, not at all related except similar commands. Squall knows who he is, a born and raised mercenary, also he never let anyone DIE or fail. Cloud didn't know who he was, he is the accidental hero who always had self-pity. So I rest my case of FF VII vs FF VIII. if you think my point is invalid prove it with hard facts with events relating from the game to use for contrasts.

Don't get me wrong I like VII. but it is true everyone is riding the Cloud bandwagon. Idk if even half of those followers had even played the original game, or just watched Advent Children.

Mod Edit: There's no reason to insult the other members, plus I'm merging your double posts. Please be polite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Square should focus on making more Final Fantasy titles than remakes at this point, but I think that this game deserves a spinoff. I don't think a sequel would have much substance because everything was settled at the end. I'd like to see more of Laguna's story, I really would have liked to see more of Raine,
she was so adorable in the ending scenes.
(I'm not sure if that needed spoiler tags, so I'm just doing it to be safe :))

So, I'm not really sure if there's enough story to go on for a spinoff, so maybe a remake would be better suited.

Currently, a remake of this is the only reason that I would purchase a PS3. I don't like the new real time thing that the FF's are doing, so 13's out the window. If they do a remake, I'd like them to maybe fill in a few of the holes, and make little changes. I love FF8 to death, but I think that they're things that needed to be fixed in the PS version, and plot holes that need to be filled. They can keep the bonus dungeons, though.

Hm this is a difficult one.

I would adore for this game and FFVII to be remade with the ps3 or 360 graphics and voice actors because that would cause the game to really stand out and it would be amazing to see how it looked in the end. The way gaming has come to be over the years it would be truely amazing.

But i would never like to see a spin off or add on to this game nor FFVII or any of the others to be honest because it would just ruin the whole games. Even though i am female i personally hated the way that was made but loved the fact it ended off the way it does but with ff8 i think they would ruin it.

I think everyone would like to see how it ends or carrys on and with the ammount of fanfics on the net i think it would sell well but concidering how the game ended with the camera following the characters and them on the balcony i think it ended really well.

So a remake defo i would love that, a spin off or carry on hell no.

I don't think a remake is needed. The only one I'd like a remake for is VII, and that's only because I'd like to see it with good graphics. However, the graphics in VIII are good in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't want them to change anything in the storyline or add anything in, so I don't think I'd pay for the remake because the graphics don't need re-doing.

I wouldn't like to see a spin-off either. I, personally, like the spin-offs of VII - I hope to play Crisis Core sometime soon, I liked Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children and Last Order were enjoyable to watch. But I think the spin-offs of VII served a good purpose, especially Crisis Core and Last Order, as they cleared up some things that were a little confusing. But in VIII, I don't think there are any 'holes' that need filling in, so I wouldn't want Square to risk ruining the storyline by creating spin-offs for it. I think VII was the only one they could really do that for.

I would lose faith in the world if SE ever decided to make a spinoff to FFVIII. The story is more or less dealt with completely. Most things have been cleared up- the characters have returned to happy-ever-after kind of lives, even Seifer. I don't know what a spin-off can ever consist of so I'll stop thinking about it.

Like I have said before on the topic of a FFVII remake, a FFVIII is not necessary whatsoever. The only major things a remake will need to have are graphical overhauls and voiceovers. Whilst I wouldn't completely object to a remake, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic towards it because I believe SE should move on and make new things.

I know what you mean, it is like saying if something is not broke then don't fix it. Whilst as i said i would love a remake for the same reason's as you said i do not think it is needed, the game speaks for itself and all ties which could have been open for a spin off got closed off. Even seifer got closed off also with him being seen fishing being at peace. I do not think they could even do a spin off properlly unless it was something stupid like the kids of ff8 lol. which would never work.

Yeah I don't think i'd want a spinoff or remake etc. Like Swift said VIII story is pretty solid and it isn't needed. I wouldn't want SE to do the same thing they did to X and ruin the ending of the game by creating a sequal. I mean I don't see what they can create out of the ending to VIII and if they do, im sure they'll find something but I think it should be left as it stands. The ending doesn't really fit for another spinoff or sequal or whatever.So my answer is no.

Final Fantasy VIII is what it is: A great game. I don't think they should try to milk everything they can out of that with spinoffs though, and as far as a remake goes...well, I just don't think that will happen.

If a remake were to ever happen (again, I doubt it), a Final Fantasy VII remake should come first, and who knows if and when that is going to happen, Square Enix certainly haven't wanted to talk about it.

Though inevitably it has been thrown into their faces every now and then, because they did such a thing as cruelly tease adoring fans with a technical demo for PS3. >_<

Anyways, my answer is no, FFVIII is an excellent game, it is good left as is, very nice story, no need to get it all messed up with a bunch of spinoffs...FFVII is an exception, I like anything FFVII just because the cast (mostly. Don't like Cait Sith. >_>) is just so good, so I really can't get enough of 'em.

But I got enough of the Final Fantasy VIII cast. Pretty good, and it was a long game, so they put plenty of story into it for all of them throughout the game, that should not be touched.

I would definetly like a remake IF it the same crew would handle it, i don't think Enix has much potential for awesome things rly..

Personally, a sequel is not needed. The Story is fine as it is and shouldnt be messed with. However, a remake wouldnt be a bad idea. Infact, it would make it more interesting and more emotional. Also, improving the graphics and adding voice actors would be excellent! I have heard how Squall sounds like in Dissidia which fits him perfectly. :) So yes to the remake and no to a prequel.

A remake I would love, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
A sequel, absolutely not. It was said before, the ending is completely tied up.

Nah... Final Fantasy VIII's story is fine the way it is... there are no stupid plot holes or loose ends, like *AHERM* some other titles in the series, that obviously require a ridiculous amount of extensions and whoreage to the story.

There were some questions left with no real answer directly from the game's storyline, but doing a lot of research in the Data section of the menu ties up a lot of unknown events.

Other things like
Laguna being Squall's father, etc.
are pretty much things that can be drawn into conclusion with common sense.

I don't have any desire to see the game remade or have a spinoff.

Personally, I would like to see a *fun* spin-off made. The game is quite old now -- just something quick and fun, a return to a less serious new storyline. I just want to see the characters again in a new way, like all the FF7 spin-offs allowed... although they were more serious.

Back