Bambi

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Bambi Branford
FFXIV Server
Lamia
What are your thoughts on reamkes and spin offs as a whole? Do you think they are ruining the FF franchise or strengthening it? Do you ignore any existenc of spin offs and refuse to buy them, or get everything you can get your hands on, even if that means you hve to buy another console to be able to do this

Discuss wether you would like to see everything or nothing remade. This topic is for all things spinoffy and reamke - please rememember there are threads in the individual forums you can discuss individul games. If you want to talk about part/whole series being remade, this is the place to do it

Discuss, and remember no flaming, people are allowed different opinions ^_^

Last edited:
For the first time I would like them to Hear us, the fans, and what were our opinions about possible remakes and what should be added/removed, not just do after all we fans are the ones who make them rich.

That and translate more games, because the best Square Enix games only are release in JP, FFXII International Zodiac Job System, KH FM, KH2 FM+ and a few more.

However I'm up for any Classic FF being remade in PS3/Xbox or PS2 at least. I would like especially FFV, FFVI, FFVII and FFIX.

There are going to be a lot of people that argue that Square is just whoring its franchises out to make money. I don't want to get into an argument about it so let me just say my piece here: It's a company. If people are willing to buy, it is their prerogative to sell. It does not detract from the original game because the original game is a stand alone article. It is not influenced by any spin-offs.

That being said, I do not think that these sequels and spinoffs are helping the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole. It's generating good side profit and that helps fund their main projects. That's good. However, they have been spending so much time developing revenue-generating side projects that they're actually undercutting their blockbuster projects. When they do that they fail to "grow the brand" as they called it in the 80's. It means that they are failing to take risks, grow as a company, and they will stagnate into collapse.

That is entirely the influence of Yoichi Wada's economic ideologies. He is a man who likes sure bets. New big-budget titles are expensive and risky... he prefers to stick with markets and games that he knows will succeed. That is why FFVII Snowboarding was just released as a cellphone game. It may not generate as much revenue as a blockbuster hit but it is money in the bank. There is no question to whether or not it will sell.

spin-offs where do i start.....well FFVII i guess.
They can be a great thing, its a chance to see your favourite characters coming back together for another go.
But imo the whole FFVII compilation thing was the biggest load of garbage ever, i mean everything ive seen of it is average or below. A film which hardly gave any characters beside cloud a look in, and a plot which was dull at best. A shoot-em-up style game with vincent......nuff said on that. And i believe a game is coming out for the mobile phone which is supposedly the last installment or something. Really who wants to play an ff game on their fone???

Why did they have to make so many spinoffs,sequels,prequels etc in the form of games, anime, films etc
They shouldve just pulled together and made one game, something that was really worth the money, something worthy of the FFVII name. Thats what i think would have been better.
Every true FF fan is gonna buy an ff game regardless of how crappy it looks or how bad of review its gotten, SE is garanteed money.
Spin-offs and sequels are great, but when theyre rushed they come out half-good and i feel thats exactly what the compilation of FFVII is. If only they had spent more time and effort into developing another game...

I mean i wouldnt trust square to make a decent spin-off or sequel of any other FF game, for example VIII or IX, i think they would come out as just another dull title riding on the success of its peers. Which is a shame.

Spinoffs are good but I do not see how they follow the story because there not meant to follow right?. A VII remake would be good though.

I like the remakes, because I missed the originals. My parents were mostly into PC games and apparently didn't like RPGs, so I only got into FF recently because of my friend (Dragon Goddess on this board).

I played FF1 for NES for a while and found it hard and frustrationg...I like the GBA version better.

Honestly...

They Should Remake All The 2d Final Fantasy Games Into 3d..

Then Make Final Fantasy I - IX (Including FFtactics) A Collection And Release It On PS2..

By Doing That, Every Game Before Final Fantasy XIII Will Hold Everyone Down For A While..

Between FFXIII And FFXX They Gonna Have To Try Alot Of New Things, And Also Revisit Classic Ideas.

I Couldn't Imagine A Final Fantasy XXI - SO They Need To Get Everything Settled Before 20..

Oh, I would love to see SE remake FF7, FF8, and FF9 on the PSP! ^_^

Maybe when/if FF5 and FF6 are remade for the DS, they will continue with the remakes on the PSP (or even do them concurrently) ^_~

On a side note, I always wondered why they didn't release FF3 on GBA or PS1... space constraints? I believe this was also the reason the FF3 remake for WSC got cancelled, AFAIK...

To be honest, I'm getting really sick of the whole FFVII Compilation crap. It's just being overdone now and people are getting fed up with it. Even people like myself who used to be really diehard fans of FFVII.

What I would LOVE to see is a remake of Final Fantasy VIII. Now THAT would be epic. I wouldn't even mind seeing it made into a movie. That or FFX. I think that'd be so awesome! I'm just tired of seeing all this FFVII shit over and over and over again. I'm ready to see Squall, Rinoa, Quistis and gang being remade on the XBox 360, PS3, etc...

I don't mind spin-offs I suppose as long as they don't damage the original story too horribly. I really didn't like Dirge of Cerberus for FFVII though, and while I did enjoy Final Fantasy X-2, some things about the storyline and characters were just weak and done so wrong. So really, I have mixed feelings on a lot of it. Some of it I like, some of it I just do not.

See, as whole, I usually really hate spin-offs. They're usually just ways for the companies to make uber moeny and nothing else. They can disguise it as a "reunion for the fans" but it really isn't. And this doesn't really pertain to games only, but movies and books as well. I tend to just stay away from them.

That being said, it's my kind of guilty pleasure to indule in most of the Final Fantasy series spin-offs. Especially the long-running VII schtuff.

I mean, most of it is good, too. Maybe if only for fans, but it is well reconized. So I guess it strengthens for the most part.
But then again, Dirge (I thought) was atrocious. And then Cloud has been getting less and less cool with each installment.
But I love 'em.
And despite the obvious desire by Sqaure Enix for even MORE money, I'd definitely buy, say, a PS3 remake of the original VII. -_- I don't care what anyone says.

Same goes for X-2...kinda a good game if you haven't played the original. If you have...gah..ruins so many good memories...

It really depends, but I usually give in to my youthful inner want and support the numerous spin-offs.

I think Final Fantasy VIII is begging for a remake. I really love playing 8, but I think there's something wrong with the Junctioning side of it, maybe they should find other ways to draw magic than sitting for 2 hours drawing from one monster.. If they fixed that, then the game would be epic. Maybe have an online feature, where we can all play cards with eachother... I'm just spit balling ideas here. but there is many ways to improve this game.

But I hate that I need to get a PSP and a DS to be able to play all the spin offs... oh and i need a mobile phone now apparantly. lol. it's just frustrating.

Mobile phone for which game, Agito? I's coming to PSP.

Anyhow, I do hope they make remakes for their games ten-twenty years from now, like they did for the first 2. I'd buy those and I wouldn't be questioning what the big deal about FFVII is.

I think spin-offs are a great idea as long as they do them for each FF game vand dont over sell the concept of a paticular frabchise where we get the point of begrucging these guys for ruining our favorite games....so all things in moderation and good taste which is what we have come to expect from Sqaure-Enix....yes/no?

I think spin-offs are a great idea as long as they do them for each FF game vand dont over sell the concept of a paticular frabchise where we get the point of begrucging these guys for ruining our favorite games....so all things in moderation and good taste which is what we have come to expect from Sqaure-Enix....yes/no?
I agree but Square-enix doesn't really do this. In my opinion they make it pretty obvious that they just want to suck all of the money they can out of how loyal the fans are. don't get me wrong, I love most of the games, but they are just money makers I feel.

I don't mind remakes, as they give people the opportunity to play the games, when they may normally be hard to find - the remakes for FFI-VI are examples, by remaking them for the PS1/GBA/DS/PSP it's given a whole load more people the chance to play these games.

Now, as for spin-offs, generally, not a fan. The difference in quality between them and the original is often very noticeable, with the spinoff being ridiculously sub-par when compared to the original. Crisis Core is, I think, the only spinoff worth the money, as it's a great game and they actually put a bit of effort into making it.

Yes, SE is a company and their goal is to make money, but by making sub-par products, it just harms their name really.

While spin-offs are kind of inconvenient for people who play the original game a spin-off is based off of, I don't really hate them. FFVII as the main example here, it's fun playing the new parts of the story, and of course there's something to be said about see the classic lego character redesigned and such. The spin-offs are adding more to the story, so FFVII is no longer about that game for FFVII. Which sucks 'cause I doubt I'll ever play Before Crisis >_<

Although I wasn't really fond of FFX-2 (although that's more of a sequel then a spin-off, but meh) I admit >_>

I suppose the one main thing I get pissy about is when people only play the spin-offs and then think they know the whole story or whatever -_-

And as for remakes, I'm actually all for them. More for reformatting than remaking, but there are some games I'd love to play with some higher graphical enhancements. As well, how many old games are practically impossible to find or buy without spending a whole lot of money? Isn't it better to see them again after so-and-so years for a different system that you can at least buy? I know I was happy to buy Star Ocean for the PSP after spending months trying to find it myself.

I'm waiting for the day Square announces they'll remake FFVI for the DS or PSP *hopes*

EDIT: @DeadlyJuly below: I want FFVI with nice uber graphics and voices and such, like the FFIV remake for the DS ♥

I have FFVI reformatted for the PS1 (FF Anthology), and while I heard there's some translation clean-ups, the GBA version is pretty much the same thing as that one

Last edited:
I'm happy withthe whole remakes idea, spin-offs make me suspicious though, they rarely live up to expectation and canoften ruin the magic of a game, I think as much as I did enjoy the spin offs to VII - moer fangirl reasons than actual enjoyment of the games, they took away some of the magic for VII for me, the ending of VII frustrated the socks off me, but I think taht's what helped make the game so great >_>

Also VII IS beggiong for a remake, the characters are shoddy as hell >_>

Im sure they will get round to all the pre ps2 games eventually, they seem to be working their way up the list <_<

So, in smry, not fond of spin offs but go remakes :neomon:

well i think tha there shud defonatly b a remake of FFVII coz it wud b awsum but im defo not against the idea for remakin all of them 4 the new-gen consols.

i also wudnt mind some more spin-offs like maby a blitzball game o mayb a game about vivi of 9 lol

Last edited:
Back