Remakes & Spinoffs

Remakes I'd be interested are definetly V, VI, and Tactics for different reasons.

V: had some diverse characters and a very weird boss. But most importantly the world setting, plot and plot devices are streamlined enough to pretty much do a game with a Zelda OoT-like engine. I think it's worth a shot.

VI: Man can you imagine a graphic'd version of that world? And that Kefka fight alone would be worth it. I'd pre-order that SOB so fast my bank would think I'm closing my account.

Tactics: Nostalgia. I'm sorry, but hey, it'd be kind of a better more stream lined version of XI now don't you think? (and it would suck less)

Spin Off: I'm ok with a XIII-2 Spin off, only because the story was pretty much a cliff hanger, with so many other questions unanswered, primarily where the hell did the Pulse People go and how the baby'd/spoiled/sheltered people of Coccoon will fare out in this brave new world. Matter of fact, it sounds alot like LOST.

So.... yeah, get on that SE, stop with the other crap and work on XIII-2, XV, and KH3 (forget XIV guys you know it'll be more trouble than it's worth)

I guess I will give my thoughts to this.

Remakes as far as I'm concerned should only be done when you cant find the original games anymoreand I perfer a rerealse instead of a remake... keeping almost everything from the original story alone and maybe only adding a few extra bosses or extra CGI scenes nowdays (hence rerelease FF I-VI for multiple platforms now...) which they did... FF VII-IX are out on the Playstation network.... now I know thats not how most people wanted a "Remake" but think how much time and money they would have to invest into each one of those games to put them out on a PS3...or XBOX 360... or even WII.... I think that one day...

I will say this about a FF VII remake though.... If they did remake it...think how much the story would have to change now.... with all the prequels...sequeals.... Do you put Genesis on the story? how do you account for Cloud taking Zacks place and forgetting who he really is now? Do you make the Turks good or bad in the game now? how much do you want Cloud to forget or remember? do you put in more members for the Avalanche? Do you tell more of a story of Zack? Turks? Shinra? Sephiroth?
So many people want a remake... but considering the prequeal story line to FFVII I just cant see it happening without getting a lot of the company together to work on it and not working on other Final Fantasy's.... And I'm sure fans cannot answer most of these questions either.

Now as far as Spin Off's are concern... Some games I liked some I didnt... Final Fantasy Advances...not so much.... Final Fantasy X-2 was Alright... not the best and Well I guess it was made to give Yuna and Tidus the "happy ending".

Final Fantasy VII games... Crisis Core was intresting...added lots of depth to the Final Fantasy VII story...But also left a lot of questions...and no answers... dirge of cerberus was alright... again... a game with more questions than answers...

Final Fantasy XII spin off... Couldnt play...was crap i think...sorry...

Dissidia was a good Fighting game... I didnt play it for a story point after I got it... just played it to fight... I wish for more and more characters if they continue to make the games though....

So conclusion on spin offs... Go ahead and make them Square Enix.. Don't expect me to like them all...but then again I havnt hated them all either.

If they were to make an FF9 Remake, these are some things I would love to see added or changed:
~Boost up the battle speed a bit. The speed of battles have been a complaint among a lot of people.
~New Game + with added bonuses for playing through the sequential time. Perhaps only keeps all non-key items and weapons.
~Choice to bypass otherwise forced mini-games. Forced Mini-games are my bane, especially the Frog Cid one. Give people a bonus item for completing a mini-game like that or allow them to auto it and get no item.
~Optional additional character developing side quests. In particularly, Freya in post-Cleyra. Give her a side-quest for her ultimate weapon that explains what happened that caused Fratley's amnesia. Allow characters to tie up loose ends towards end-game.
~Maybe touch up the character and battle scene graphics. Don't take away what makes them wonderful, but smooth out the rough edges kind of touch-up.

There are going to be a lot of people that argue that Square is just whoring its franchises out to make money. I don't want to get into an argument about it so let me just say my piece here: It's a company. If people are willing to buy, it is their prerogative to sell. It does not detract from the original game because the original game is a stand alone article. It is not influenced by any spin-offs.

That being said, I do not think that these sequels and spinoffs are helping the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole. It's generating good side profit and that helps fund their main projects. That's good. However, they have been spending so much time developing revenue-generating side projects that they're actually undercutting their blockbuster projects. When they do that they fail to "grow the brand" as they called it in the 80's. It means that they are failing to take risks, grow as a company, and they will stagnate into collapse.

That is entirely the influence of Yoichi Wada's economic ideologies. He is a man who likes sure bets. New big-budget titles are expensive and risky... he prefers to stick with markets and games that he knows will succeed. That is why FFVII Snowboarding was just released as a cellphone game. It may not generate as much revenue as a blockbuster hit but it is money in the bank. There is no question to whether or not it will sell.
I wholeheartedly agree with this post. One thing I'd like to add however, is that they need to reshift their marketing model back to the PSX era with less production time and more focus on quality. I remember reading somewhere (don't quote me on this) that that's exactly what they're doing, going back to that old business model, which is YAY for us fans!

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. One thing I'd like to add however, is that they need to reshift their marketing model back to the PSX era with less production time and more focus on quality. I remember reading somewhere (don't quote me on this) that that's exactly what they're doing, going back to that old business model, which is YAY for us fans!

thats not a good thing all SE said was they planned to release a new FF every year to compete with other franchise models like Call of Duty. That is a bad thing we will end up with rushed half assed games more broken than my capitalization and punctuation skills.

thats not a good thing all SE said was they planned to release a new FF every year to compete with other franchise models like Call of Duty. That is a bad thing we will end up with rushed half assed games more broken than my capitalization and punctuation skills.

Ah but some of the best games came out in quick succession.

1997 - VII

1999 - VIII
2000 - IX
2001 - X
2002 - XI
2003 - X-2

2006 - XII

2009 - XIII

VIII, IX and X (my three favourites) only had one year between them. Whereas they took three years to make XII and XIII. It seems to me like they mess up more on the ones they spend longer making.

Xx..xX

1997 - VII

1999 - VIII
2000 - IX
2001 - X
2002 - XI
2003 - X-2

2006 - XII

2009 - XIII

VIII, IX and X (my three favourites) only had one year between them. Whereas they took three years to make XII and XIII. It seems to me like they mess up more on the ones they spend longer making. The incredibly bold game mechanics & character development.

Xx..xX

I think the yearly rapid fire releases did lead to better games. Its almost as if because they knew another one was coming out they took more risks (plot of 7, the environment/miliue of 8, the throwback of 9 [at time not everyone was doing fantasy setting], 11 was first MMO, 10-2 was first sequel and reinvent battle mechanics).

1997 - VII

1999 - VIII
2000 - IX
2001 - X
2002 - XI
2003 - X-2

2006 - XII

2009 - XIII

VIII, IX and X (my three favourites) only had one year between them. Whereas they took three years to make XII and XIII. It seems to me like they mess up more on the ones they spend longer making.

Xx..xX

i know this, but i still think they shouldnt try to make a FF every year just for the sake of having an FF.

The only "spin-off" I have enjoyed is Final Fantasy Tactics, and would like to see a real sequel to that game. I don't generally play any of the others, as I find them to be too pandering, and no real substance.

Shoot me for saying this, but I would like to see VIII as a PS3 re-make. Obviously make the battle system a little faster, and keep triple triad in there. Just the thought of seeing that in HD and with flawless graphics would be amazing. Even though the current PS graphics of the game still hold nostalgic quality, I wouldn't rule out seeing it that way. The FMV sequences would be even more beautiful. I'm not sure if I'd want voice actors though, I have a feeling that they'd screw the beauty of the game up.

I love that square enix is remaking FFX i've heard that they made it with FF13 fighting style! its nice to have newer generations into old final fantasy games because they seem to move on

I love that square enix is remaking FFX i've heard that they made it with FF13 fighting style! its nice to have newer generations into old final fantasy games because they seem to move on

:neg: Oh dear god no...FFX has an amazing fighting style, ffXIII has a piece of crap fighting style. Fair enough, some people like it, but if they want XIII fighting style they should buy XIII, not X. Square are already ruining their newer games, no need to go back to the older ones and make sure they f**k them up too.

Xx..xX

:neg: Oh dear god no...FFX has an amazing fighting style, ffXIII has a piece of crap fighting style. Fair enough, some people like it, but if they want XIII fighting style they should buy XIII, not X. Square are already ruining their newer games, no need to go back to the older ones and make sure they f**k them up too.

Xx..xX

LOL yea I hate that FF13 only allows you to use one character. I think that Square enix is just after the money :/ .
BUT FFX is too awesome to be ruined by one flaw!

What are your thoughts on reamkes and spin offs as a whole? Do you think they are ruining the FF franchise or strengthening it? Do you ignore any existenc of spin offs and refuse to buy them, or get everything you can get your hands on, even if that means you hve to buy another console to be able to do this

Discuss wether you would like to see everything or nothing remade. This topic is for all things spinoffy and reamke - please rememember there are threads in the individual forums you can discuss individul games. If you want to talk about part/whole series being remade, this is the place to do it

Discuss, and remember no flaming, people are allowed different opinions ^_^

i enjoy remakes and spin offs as a whole. They show different sides of gameplay that get ppl into rpgs. sure they dont live upto the original series. But theyre still great and are very entertaining.

For remakes, i think there should be no issue at all. There has been none that made any issue. SE wants players to have an ff collection and its getting close to that.

Why are you guys talking about games being remade over full-fledged sequels? Even though it would be cool to see FFVII remade, I like the original game just the way it is.

I saw Advent Children years ago and remember it being terrible. I haven't checked out any of the other spin-offs and really have no interest. Effortless cash-in attempts. Not getting suckered into it.

That FFX remake sounds awful. I draw the line when they start remaking classic games and changing them to "modern" battle systems.

Last edited:
Well... If the orginal game sells good and the fans want to see it continue in any way possible, then sure, why not make a sequel/prequel/spin off. Milk it for all it's worth. That of course runs with the risk of fans getting tired of it, but hey. I don't mind them unless they completely ruin the story in some way. But if it's simply a sequel that doesn't add to many new characters and whatnot, it should be fine. Meh... :hmmm:

I'll do this in order as to how I feel about a remake or re-release:
FFI - A classic on the NES and the Dawn of Souls and FF Origins remake were as great as this game is going to get. Just leave it at that.
FFII - See FFI.
FFIII - Never played the NES version but the DS version is pretty good, it doesn't need a second remake.
FFIV - As much as I love this game, they need to stop with the remakes/re-releases. I own this game on 5 different systems. Again, I love this game to death but I think they have perfected it already. Leave it alone.
FFV - This game could use a remake a la FFIV DS. I think it would get more people to play this underrated classic.
FFVI - To be honest I would love to see a 3D remake but even if they didn't this game is perfect as it is.
FFVII - This game sorely needs a remake. The game has aged horribly and I can't even play through the entire first disc without cringing at the graphics. Please, SE, we need a remake of this game.
FFVIII - A remake would be nice but as it stands it's fine.
FFIX - See FFVIII
FFX - The HD remake is good enough. I'm just happy to have it on PS3.
FFXII - This game needs the HD treatment like FFX.
FFXIII - This game needs to stop spawning sequels and will probably never need a remake. I like it but once is enough.

That right there is whats wrong with the gaming industry. EVERYBODY wants to be like Call of Duty. The same rehashed games that fan boys flock for and just throw money at. COD is so fucking overrated its ridiculous. I dont care how much money it makes, all of the games outside of MW1 and MW2 have been absolute fucking trash. Yet all you see is IGN and these magazines praising its wonderful gameplay and how amazing games they are. BULL SHIT! Now THERE is a series that has gone downhill.
I'm sorry I know this isn't on topic but that franchise just pisses me off to no end. My apologies.

The spinoffs were just an attempt for Square Enix to make more money. They wern't thought through as well as some of the older FF numbered titles, and you can see this because there isn't as much side quests and the battle systems arn't as complex as other FF's. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed playing Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core to an extent, but they wern't on the same level as other FF's.

I think that it's a good idea to remake an older game so that it can run on a current-gen system. The remakes of IV and VI were very good for their time, and while not official, the Tifa's Bootleg mod for VII makes the game incredibly refreshing to play. However, I would have to say that I don't like the idea of SE making spin-offs and/or sequels to the games. I mean, yeah they're a good idea if SE can actually pull them off but the problem is that I haven't seen one that I liked. After Years didn't even come close to living up to FFIV. Nearly everything in the FFVII compilation just made the plot/characters more difficult to understand. X-2 took away the gravity of X's ending for me. While I'm not a fan of XIII, I gave XIII-2 a try and thought that the story was worse (albeit better gameplay). Furthermore, sequels and spin-offs tend to create more arguments among the existing fanbase, as well as generate new and misinformed fans. The best example I can think of is Advent Children. FFVII is my favorite installment of the FF franchise, but I really cringed at what AC brought to the FFVII fanbase. There were people making claims that FFVII was the best game ever, while at the same time admitting that they've never played it, but watched AC instead *cringe*. That, and there's a bunch of people who throw the "emo" label around every time Cloud is mentioned.

Long story short, if sequels/spin-offs were done right, I would approve of them. Unfortunately, they're not, so I'm opposed to them at the moment.

Back