Remakes & Spinoffs

I think that remakes are o.k. a long as they keep the story pretty much the same, with the exeption of a few sidequests and harder boses/enimies.
As for the spinoffs, I do not really care for most of theme. The wrost spinoff, I have to say was FFVII- Dirge of Cerberus, just absolutely awful.
And for making any sequals I say NO! Judging by FFX-2 and FFXII: Revenant Wings, Square just doesn't know how to make a sequal. It didn't even seem like they tried.

Although I would love to see a remake of ff8, I think hat a 3d version of ff1, with more story, real characters, and summons would be the best

From what I read on the FF7 remake discussion, I have only one theory on why they wouldnt hop on that right now.
They are saving it for a rainy day. When they are in a writers block or something, they know they can always get started on that and it will haul in the money
Because fans would
emot-fh.gif
and limited edition stuff would be released with it

My feeling is that remakes can help the older games get noticed by fans that may ignore them because they seem dated. Final Fantasy V & VI are two of the best entries in the series, but many fans who started with FF VII or later tend to ignore them because the graphics, storyline, or battle system seem dated when compared to the newer entries.

Doing remakes helps reintroduce these games to a new generation. One only needs to look at the remakes of III and IV on the DS to see how successful this approach is.

As far as spin offs go, it depends on the quality of the game and what it adds to the over all franchise. The best spin offs are the ones that have little to no ties to main series games, namely the Tactics and Crystal Chronicles games.

For remakes: Sure, no problem with them, I'm all up for playing games with better graphics and voices, probably an extra side-mission or two. As long as they don't try and change the storyline or anything, it all sits well with me.

For Spin Offs: Depends how loyal the plot remains to the original story for me. Me and Damon were just talking about it funnily enough.

I don't mind, as long as the sequal is good I guess 8F I can easily go on playing an original and forget a sequal ever happened, cause though some people say it effects there enjoyment of the original, it doesn't do so to me. (eg. Final Fantasy VII, I still enjoy the original, wasn't the best FF but I still enjoyed it)

I can help but want a re-make of FF7. I think allot of people want it but I would have to agree with goofy, nothing really needs to be changed. We bought, played through and lost sleep with these games. Nothing needs to be changes really, a bump up in graphics, maybe a little extra content. Other then that, it's polishing a classic and will still bring in a decent amount of old and new players alike, to spend their money all the same.

I'd like to see remakes of FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX. It will be great if there's new side quests and weapons, but I'd like no changes in the main storyline or characters.

I accept remakes for classic FF games (1-6)
but 7 and on are master pieces and dont need any remake (why fix something that aint broken)

dont like prequels-sequels to FF7 (tho Crisis Core is great game)
and remake of FF7 would just destroy whole saga

I don't like the whole idea of spin offs if they just stay with the series they would be up to FF15 and kingdom hearts 4 but I think KH4 will be in a hell of a long time. I have been waiting for KH3 for a hell of a long time I have completed KH2 like 100 times waiting for 3. The only reason I got a ps3 was because they might make KH3. All and all spin offs should come once in a while but now square cinix just over did it with the sin offs.

calis1000k.png
[/url]

Remakes are good. Spin-offs are bad.

Remakes allow you to enjoy the same game, only with added bonuses and better graphics, which is what we want most of the time. They allow the nostalgic feeling we get to be more elaborated on and we can enjoy the game again.

Spin-off just fail. They usually pic the worst point of the game and make another game based off of that. Those types of games are never enjoyable (except one very special case *cough* Crisis Core*) and they almost always try to add something new, like a messed up battle system or boring characters.

Then Make Final Fantasy I - IX (Including FFtactics) A Collection And Release It On PS2..
By Doing That, Every Game Before Final Fantasy XIII Will Hold Everyone Down For A While...

Agreed, I think more people would want to have them in 1 big collection than buying them all separate.

Also, I doubt we are going to see a VII, VIII, or IX remake anytime soon, they haven't even released XIII and they are already working on XIV....

Pretty much all the spin offs I have played really were not very exciting. For instance FFX-2 was a HUGE waste of time if you ask me. :P

Remakes are good. Spin-offs are bad.
Those types of games are never enjoyable (except one very special case *cough* Crisis Core*)

I've never cried harder for a game or character death Zack's in Crisis Core.
I knew it was coming, but the graphics brought new life to the scene that FF7 never really did. I was PISSED when I fought all those soldiers at the end, and then a handful of them finish Zack off. So much of the story was heartbreaking, but I loved it just the same.

And re-makes usually make the game much more interesting. I agree with the person who made comments about bringing nostalgic feelings, but usually there's still enough new stuff to make the game more exciting. I think the remake for Crono Trigger for NDS was excellent.

and X-2 was WAAAAAAAYYYYYY better than X, in my opinion. FF needed a game with an all kickass chick team. Yuna's personality was way more like able in X-2 than X. In X she was too quiet and selfish, if you ask me. In X-2 she really came out of her shell. I agree the whole having to play through twice (for most people...some people with too much time and too little life can beat it through with 100% in one go....WOO HOOO you lazy pieces of crap.) just to see Yuna and Tidus back together was BS, though.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Last edited:
Most spin-offs annoy me apart from Crisis Core in which I had great fun and cried at the end almost the same amount as the ending of X.

As for remakes, I am a big fan of these IF done fully and not some half arsed DS remake. Sure, I enjoyed the FF3 remake because the did a lot with it but the FF4 one was a let-down.
I actually made a thread about this but it seems to have fallen into the back so I will restate it here.

We have all read about how long a FF7 (or any other game) full remake would take and how difficult it would be.
Well I think that they should just remake the important scenes then. They could do this with all the numbered FF games and put it all onto a DVD for us to watch at our own leisure. They could improve the graphics to FF13 level and add voice acting.
There are so many scenes I am simply dying to see with better graphics, screenplay and voice acting.

Overall, I am for full home console remakes of the games and I think going past FF15 will be getting a bit ridiculous. They should begin remaking the games starting with the 2d ones.
I want to also see them move on from the ATB system and into something a bit more like 13 but with more movability at your command. I have a lot of ideas, I can't think of them all right now. But yes, all for remakes, not for spin-offs unless they can pull off another Crisis Core

I have absolutly no interest in any of the spin-offs. FF7 spinoffs being the classic example of what Square-Enix should not have done. The game itself was a masterpiece and considered by many to be the best FF ever. With all the spin-offs, IMO, Square-Enix have somehow managed to "de-value" what FF7 was. And that seems to be the trend with all spin-offs. FFX-2 being another example. FFX was a great game, but FFX-2 somehow managed to take away from the magic of FFX.

I am for a remake of the classic 2D FF games but they are gonna have to end the FF series before they remake the classics.

Not sure what all has been said but as for a Spin-Off goes, they should have made FFX-2 about the story of Titus's father and his journey. It would have been different and filled with more then the spheres showed us through X.

Another Spin-Off would be a game for the World Of Blitzball. A small map where you could recruit players among other things as well as a more updated gameplay to Blitzball. Free moving players, More Players, more moves. That was an amazing mini-game and I still have FFX. I've beaten it 3 times and have everything the game has to offer but Blitzball brings me back all the time.

So far from all that I've seen, it's half and half when it comes to remakes and spinoffs. There are good ones, and then there are bad ones. I completely ignore spinoffs and remakes, because I have no love for them whatsoever, I prefer sticking with the plain ol' original Final Fantasies.

That being said, it doesn't matter to me if they remake everything or nothing. They can do whatever they want, just so long as the main series doesn't die out.

Personally I'd love a remake of EVERY SINGLE FF THERE IS. Well exception of the newer FFs of course. (Well, not yet anyways). But as well new/more modern battle systems in the remakes would be awesome too. As for spin-offs, they're good and all but SE is making so much money offa them they don't bother making remakes.

hmmm, bit of a can of worms this question but to be honest i sometimes like spin offs and remakes, but it depends. for example if they made a remake of final fantasy 7 i would not want anything changed with it except for the graphics and maybe a voice over or two, the game, difficulty, limits, chocobo racing, world map and everything else can be left alone. there is a load of remakes out there that are nothing like the original which is a shame especially if the original did so well. if it aint broken why fix it, just improve graphic and ya fine. This goes for all of the final fantasy games before ps2. as for spin offs i like them providing they are interesting and have a decent story to them with a few side quests thrown in for good measure.

Back