The Sword or the Stone?

Aemeath

Because I said so.
Gil
So which did you choose from that crazy weapons shop owner in WoR Narshe? The Esper (Stone) or the Ragnorak (Sword)? I choose the sword because Ragnorak the Esper only teaches you Ultima. Which is good, but you can learn it from the Paladin Shield if you have the patience to create it from the Cursed Shield. In addition, with the Ragnorak Sword, you can bet it at the Colliseum for an Illumina, an extremely powerful weapon with a high critical hit rate.

So, which did you choose?

I chose the Esper all 3 times that I've been through it. I can't live with out Ultima. Thats the spell I use when I'm building up in the WoR on the Dinosaur Island. maybe the next time I play through it I'll choose the rock.

I chose the Esper all 3 times that I've been through it. I can't live with out Ultima. Thats the spell I use when I'm building up in the WoR on the Dinosaur Island. maybe the next time I play through it I'll choose the rock.

Nonono, choose the SWORD if you want the Ragnorak to get the Illumina! XD

Illumina = 9k damage at level 60. Almost every hit is critical. :P

And I can understand how the lack of Ultima would make Dinosaur killing a hassle, but there's another, possibly easier, way. Cast Vanish, then Doom. Vanish for some reason boosts the magic hit rate to 100%. Doom is instant Death.

I think I chose the Esper, I'm not certain though as it was a while ago now (VI was my first FF). I remember I had Ultima at the end of the game and I'm pretty sure I didn't create the paladin shield so....

Cast Vanish, then Doom. Vanish for some reason boosts the magic hit rate to 100%. Doom is instant Death.
haha that was so cheap. I admittedly used this technique many times because I'm a cheap bastard, it was funny I defeated the majority of final bosses before Kefka with this technique.>_<

I only played it once and chose the sword, not that I bothered getting that illumina one, and I wasn't all that arsed about Ultima either I'm not really a magic user so I could live without it :monster:

I did um and ah about it for a while though, chances are I made a fred because I couldn't decide haha but I went for the sword in the end

There are enough ultimate weapons for me. I didn't need the Ragnarock sword or Illumina as much as having the Ragnarock esper was helpful. And if you had the Paladin Shield, then you could learn Ultima at a x2 rate (for those that could equip it anyways)! Speaking of which, you could only equip those swords on so many characters...The esper can be equipped on anyone who can learn Magic.

I never abused the Vanish+Doom/X-Zone bug in my first playthough. Not only did it make Magic 100%, but it also made those two Magics work against monsters who are supposed to have immunities against instant death moves.

Yeah thanks Aemeath. I try not to use the vanish and doom trick seeing as its kind of cheap. Don't get me wrong I'll use it if I have to, but I try to avoid it.

If you want all party members to learn Ultima, keep it as a stone. You can steal Ragnarok swords from the "Lady" enemy on the third stage of the final boss battle. And if you bet a Ragnarok sword at the colliseum, you can win a Lightbringer (Illumia or something like that in snes version) Which is the strongest sword in the game. (Although, it does not ignore defenses like Ultima Weapon.)

On my runs through on the snes, I grabbed the sword. But in advanced, since you can beat the game and then keep playing, you may as well grab the esper, then steal Ragnarok from the tier 3 battle. And then you can have as many as you want with a little patience lol.

Sword. I figured I'd give it a shot to trade it in for the Illumina as well and I was already working on the Palidan Shield for Ultiuma.

I was uncertain, but went for the magicite. I was glad that I had done so in retrospect because of Ultima.

Ragnarok is like FFVII's Morph command when used as a summon, and I think I used it a few times to get some items.

I always take the stone rather than the sword, especially as you can steal the sword later. Makes more sense to have both.

In the Original/SNES/PS versions, Choose the Sword since after the game that is it

in the GBA and Remake I will choose the Summon since you can steal the weapon from the Final Boss and do it over and over and over since after you beat it you can continue the game thereafter and have as many as you want!

The Sword is better since you can change it into the Illumina/Lightbringer

The Summon does what one of your characters can already do

Of the two, there are both great, but The Sword is the best since its tied for the best weapon in the game!

The sword without a doubt is the best choice,,and for funzeez you could always steal the Ragnarok on the last boss just before Kefka.

During my first playthrough all those years ago on the SNES, I went with the sword, which I ultimately exchanged for the Illumina Sword. After that, though, I always opted to keep the stone in Esper form because 1) you learned Ultima, and 2) the Esper has a chance of turning enemies into items, which I think can be pretty useful when it's successful.

I never knew you could steal the esper from the boss before Kefka, but at that point in the game, I'd imagine you're pretty set, party-wise, for taking on Kefka, so other than being able to turn enemies into items, would you take the time to leave the Tower to go learn Ultima?

~SilentMage

I chose the esper. I was just aiming to finish the game at that point, and I felt ultima would be more useful than the sword. I probably wouldn't be very patient with turning the cursed shield into a paladin shield anyway.

I've always chosen the Magicite over the sword however if I ever playthrough it again, which I likely will come the iOS release, then I'll do things differently.

In hindsight I think it is probably best to take the sword in the SNES/PS releases. It is the only chance you get of obtaining the Ragnarok and Illumina plus you can eventually learn the Ultima spell from the Paladin Shield. In the GBA release (and I assume any future releases) it would be best to take the Magicite as you are able to steal a Ragnarok from Lady (the floating head from the third stage of the final battle) and keep it when the game continues after. This can be done multiple times so it is possible to end up with as many Ragnaroks and Lightbringers as you want as well as the Esper. The Esper is pretty useless though as I don't think you really get any useful unique items from morphing but for completeness sake it's the way to go for the GBA version.

Back