The WIP Thread

karl! your work is fantastic! Im guessin you color with photoshop? *sighs* i have never been able to use photoshop.

I could of swore I posted here before my holiday. :wacky:
Oh well, that looks really good 0m1n, is it your first drawing? ^_^
And Mandi's/Angelus' work looks stunning as well, can't wait to see them finished. :neomon:

I managed to get the facial features done before I went on holiday...although I plan to go and clean bits up later this week (mainly the left eye)...facial features are harder than they look >.>

http://i36.tinypic.com/m82nwn.jpg

I could of swore I posted here before my holiday. :wacky:
Oh well, that looks really good 0m1n, is it your first drawing? ^_^
And Mandi's/Angelus' work looks stunning as well, can't wait to see them finished. :neomon:

I managed to get the facial features done before I went on holiday...although I plan to go and clean bits up later this week (mainly the left eye)...facial features are harder than they look >.>

http://i36.tinypic.com/m82nwn.jpg

My first in Da but not my first in this Forum. Your piece looks like it would take a long time something i wouldn't do. Patient art always turn out the best can't wait to see it finshed.

Heres more if anyone are intrested?

Chibi Riku
http://midgez.deviantart.com/art/Chibi-Riku-93698554

Angel Sora
http://midgez.deviantart.com/art/Angel-Sora-93665798

Last edited:
Favoritism? haha just noting Karl Gauss at the top.

That really is fantastic. I'm amazed. Nice job on all of them but why did you outline your to be done people?

That's just the way I draw. It's also much easier to line them up that way. And that's also how they look like without color anyways.

I placed Gauss at the top with the other two mathematicians because he has been considered to be the best mathematician (as well as those other two) by many people, and not just myself. That's not the only reason why I like him though.

Been awhile since anybody posted in here! I just wanted to post a sketch I did of Squall from FFVIII the other day. I've been replaying the game and thus been inspired to draw the characters. I may do one of him and Rinoa soon.

Squally.jpg

I hope you don't mind a bit of criticism, but it seems like his legs are going out at awkward angles. I know it seems like you want him to be in a kneeling position looking up, but I think the legs should actually go out towards the background at an angle, so that you should barely see them--if you wanted them to go out towards the sides a bit, then you'll see more of them, but not that much.

Realism, when applied to human characters, does require quite a bit of knowledge of anatomy.

I appreciate the criticism and yeah I noticed right after I finished his legs looked off. But you can barely even see them in the final drawing so I just said forget it on trying to fix them. Anyway, by the way you've posted, are you suggesting I have no knowledge of human anatomy? o_O

Sorry if it seemed that way, but I didn't mean to imply any offense towards you when I said that. I said that because when you draw in anime, you probably don't need to know much about anatomy, since you're allowed to exaggerate stuff--you can be as loose and as free with it as you want to, but you can't really do that with realism because then it wouldn't look "real" anymore. Unless it's very obvious (but then I think you call that surrealism). And when people start drawing anime before realism, they usually look at their favorite artists' works, which are exaggerated anatomy, and they may not actually be learning anything about anatomy.

I am not saying this because I think you learned it this way, but some people did, and I figured since this thread is public, it would be good advice for anyone else who reads it. I didn't know that you had considered that his legs looked wrong; if I knew that, I wouldn't have a reason to point that out. Either way, even if you or anyone else think they're good at anatomy, it's always a good idea to draw from real life or pick up some books on it--there's always going to be a small detail you may be missing. Anatomy is horribly complicated and difficult to remember. Unless you do lots of anatomy or real life drawings of people.

Sayuri, I find that it helps to use yourself as a model. Whenever I try to do realism, I usually fail horrendously unless I use a reference photo, and...it's always hard to find the right reference picture! So whenever I need help getting a pose anatomically correct, I just take a picture and voila. Reference. ^.^

If I don't use a reference, my drawings ALWAYS come out with too-small hands and feet, and too-long arms and legs. XD

Uhm, anyways...here is a miscellanious ink painting that I'm working on.

l_2e918e3982a5be4eeefa361de727749f.jpg

Critisism please.
I'm relatively new to painting with ink. I am using this picture to practice techniques...you can see that I used salt to make those neat speckles. ^.^

Sorry if it seemed that way, but I didn't mean to imply any offense towards you when I said that. I said that because when you draw in anime, you probably don't need to know much about anatomy, since you're allowed to exaggerate stuff--you can be as loose and as free with it as you want to, but you can't really do that with realism because then it wouldn't look "real" anymore. Unless it's very obvious (but then I think you call that surrealism). And when people start drawing anime before realism, they usually look at their favorite artists' works, which are exaggerated anatomy, and they may not actually be learning anything about anatomy.

I am not saying this because I think you learned it this way, but some people did, and I figured since this thread is public, it would be good advice for anyone else who reads it. I didn't know that you had considered that his legs looked wrong; if I knew that, I wouldn't have a reason to point that out. Either way, even if you or anyone else think they're good at anatomy, it's always a good idea to draw from real life or pick up some books on it--there's always going to be a small detail you may be missing. Anatomy is horribly complicated and difficult to remember. Unless you do lots of anatomy or real life drawings of people.

Haha it's fine! You didn't offend me. I was just curious. Like o_O is she saying I can't grasp the concept of anatomy? But yeah, I do understand what you were getting at. I do infact have some books and tutorials that I've been studying to better teach me anatomy. I don't really like to draw off of other people's work because it doesn't help much. I prefer the use of tutorials. But anyway I'm willing to learn this and very much anxious to. Also, I guess I should've pointed out his legs looked off, but I didn't. ^^; I was more eager to get feedback on the coloring instead of how it was drawn anyway.

Howl said:
Sayuri, I find that it helps to use yourself as a model. Whenever I try to do realism, I usually fail horrendously unless I use a reference photo, and...it's always hard to find the right reference picture! So whenever I need help getting a pose anatomically correct, I just take a picture and voila. Reference. ^.^
Also Rhea, thanks for that advice! I would do that but unfortunately I don't have a camera at the present time. >.< My dad borrowed it and for some reason it no longer works...We've tried fixing it, but to no avail so I'm going to have to wait on that. x_x

Your new picture is looking gorgeous btw. ;D I have no experience with ink painting, so I'm sorry I can't give you any proper crit here. You're doing a lovely job with it so far and the salt for sparkles is an awesome touch!

I wish I'd thought of taking pictures for reference.....that would make life so much easier, I might give that a whirl one day...

So like, not contributing to the thread but uh, just wanted to say that that is brilliant advice >_>

And that painting is coming on grand btw, Howl :monster:

♥Sayuri♥;419254 said:
Haha it's fine! You didn't offend me. I was just curious. Like o_O is she saying I can't grasp the concept of anatomy? But yeah, I do understand what you were getting at. I do infact have some books and tutorials that I've been studying to better teach me anatomy. I don't really like to draw off of other people's work because it doesn't help much. I prefer the use of tutorials. But anyway I'm willing to learn this and very much anxious to. Also, I guess I should've pointed out his legs looked off, but I didn't. ^^; I was more eager to get feedback on the coloring instead of how it was drawn anyway.

Well, if I say someone has bad anatomy, it doesn't mean he can't learn it; it just means he currently doesn't know much about it, and if he wanted to learn more about it or get better at it, then it's not impossible for him to improve.

Also Rhea, thanks for that advice! I would do that but unfortunately I don't have a camera at the present time. >.< My dad borrowed it and for some reason it no longer works...We've tried fixing it, but to no avail so I'm going to have to wait on that. x_x

Your new picture is looking gorgeous btw. ;D I have no experience with ink painting, so I'm sorry I can't give you any proper crit here. You're doing a lovely job with it so far and the salt for sparkles is an awesome touch!

You could probably also look for some high resolution stocks on DA or wherever else on the Internet they have them.

Back