Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
I figured this might come handy for some people. Being a fan of Japanese music, myself, I would love to hear what others have to recommend when it comes to Japanese songs, whether it be from an anime that they've seen and a particular song caught their attention, or they know of a particular Japanese singer/band that they listen to and would love to share it with others. Or it could just be a piano piece from an anime or what have you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'll start. I have quite a few on my list. Please try to provide the name of the singer/band and what anime it is from, if applicable. Anyway, I recommend...

1. Utada Hikaru [Artist] - First Love (It's very nice. There's some English in it, but not a whole lot. Actually there's an English version of this song too, which is also pretty good.)

2. Ayashi no Ceres [Anime] - Scarlet (This song is simply wonderful, especially listening to the piano playing...I could listen to this song forever. The vocals are amazing! I recommend that you also listen to the piano solo of this song.)

3. Kamen Rider [TV Series] - Long, Long Ago, 20th Century (This song has always stuck on my mind since I was only 5. Yeah it's that old, but it's epic. Those who were fans of Kamen Rider back then, you may recognize this song. It's...heartfelt.)

4. Grenadier [Anime], Shimokawa Mikuni [Artist] - KOHAKU (Somewhat on the upbeat side, but not quite as it's still calming in a way. Very easy on the ears.]

5. Grenadier [Anime], Shimokawa Mikuni [Artist] - Kanashimi ni Makenaide (Not so upbeat this time, but not really on the slow side either. This song is quite nice.)

6. Angel Heart [Anime], Kanon [Artist] - My Destiny (Kanon's voice is magnificent! I love how she did this song, I really do. It's quite dramatic.)

Saiunkoku Monogatari [Anime], Ayaka Hirahara [Artist] - Hajimari no Kaze (Upbeat and the pace kinda picks up in some parts, which I really like. I couldn't stop listening to this song when I first heard it. Ayaka has a beautiful voice, kinda similar to Kanon, but with a much lower tone in her voice.)

8. Ayashi no Ceres [Anime] - One (This song's pretty cool, with a mixture of rock and pop. Very fast paced.)

9. La Corda d'Oro [Anime], Kanon [Artist] - Brand New Breeze (So damn beautiful! It has some English mixed in the background, which is actually pretty good.)

10. Fantastic Children [Anime], Origa [Artist] - Mizu no Madoromi (Origa is simply AMAZING! I love her vocals here! The lyrics are also catchy that I actually memorized half of the song due to constant singing of this beautiful song. A "haunting lullaby" as some would call it.)

11. Fantastic Children [Anime], Inori [Artist] - Voyage (Again, another great song that I just cannot stop listening to as well. Outstanding and emotionally poignant, especially if you've seen the anime.)

I'll stop here. There's more, but I'll post them later. Feedbacks and discussions are of course, welcome here. =] But do try to provide at least one song for us to listen to.

There's a lot of songs you can get just from animes for sure, but Japanese music have different genres. Pop and J-Rock being really popular.

I've heard some of the ones you mentiones Mitsuki, but most songs do manage to meet the atmosphere that the corresponding anime is trying to convey.

A couple of my faves:

"Shiki no Uta" by MINMI (Samurai Champloo ending)

"RIVER" by Tatsuya Ishii (Gundam Seed ending)

"Baby Romantica" by SCRIPT (Junjou Romantica ending *it's a yaoi anime btw*)

"Houki Gumo" by RYTHEM (Yakitate Japan intro)

"Boukoku Kakusei Catharsis" by Ali Project (.hack/roots ending)

"Shissou" by Last Alliance (Ouran High School Host Club ending)

"Meinai Chikara" by Miki Akiyama (Tactics ending)

I have many more, but I don't even know all there names >__<

There's a few I can name, not really sure of the artists. I'll try my best:

- Okami [Video Game], Ayaka Hirahara [Artist], "Reset"
- Blood+ [Anime], HYDE [Artist], Season's Call
- Blood+ [Anime], Raion
- Bleach [Anime], Life Is Like A Boat
- Cowboy Bebop [Anime], Mai Yamane (Vocals) Yoko Kanno (Music), The Real Folk Blues

Just a few off the top of my head.

I suppose this is just to be an introduction to people wanting to get into J-music and giving recommendations? In that case, I'll be recommending songs and posting their respective vids.

MUCC - Fuzz

D'espairsRay - Born

Rentrer en Soi - Stigmata

Maximum the Hormon - Zetsubou Billy (most know these guys from Death Note)

The Pillows - New Animal

Mika Nakashima - Sakurairo Maukoro

And for the immense lulz, Japanese Rap Sta - On Boot Street

Makes me laugh my ass off every time :neomon:

Oh god, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend some then :{D

Ultra Soul - B'z (Such a happy upbeat song! ...One of my first Jrock songs <3)
Gardenia - Malice Mizer (OKAY, so Malice Mizer are a little camp. I still love them.)
Almost any song by Dir en grey (I love them. Just....pretend the Kisou album didn't happen.)
Forbidden - D'espairsray (I like this song a lot. I don't know why.)
Keep Tryin' - Utada Hikaru (Pop ftw! It's so upbeat!)

Last edited:
Really, anything by the pillows. They're pretty good stuff.

The Pillows - Beautiful Morning with you.

The Pillows - Blue drives monster.

The Pillows - Advice

The Pillows - Little Busters

The Pillows - Ride on a shooting star

That's all I can be arsed to find. Good stuff, though. :wacky:

Gardenia - Malice Mizer (OKAY, so Malice Mizer are a little camp. I still love them.)
Almost any song by Dir en grey (I love them. Just....pretend the Kisou album didn't happen.)

Malice Mizer was epic win, both with Gackt and Klaha as leads (the first vocalist sucked balls).

Au Revoir

Gardenia

Now as for Diru...they're a bit of an acquired taste. Kisou wasn't that bad imo, but I try to pretend Marrow of a Bone was a practical joke. I can't very well take a song seriously when "dear god, you're a motherfucker" sounds like "dear god, ooga booga booga" because Kyo is too lazy to even try enunciating. Withering to Death is the easiest album to get into, and one of the best imo.

The Final (from WtD)

Child Prey (from Vulgar...even Kaoru looks hot in this one)

Yokan (from Gauze)

I enjoy "Helpless Rain" and "Cry No More" by Mika Nakashima. I JUST discovered her music today and I must say that I'm impressed with her J-Jazz and J-Blues styles, so I'll be looking for more of her work :P

I enjoy "Helpless Rain" and "Cry No More" by Mika Nakashima. I JUST discovered her music today and I must say that I'm impressed with her J-Jazz and J-Blues styles, so I'll be looking for more of her work :P

Mika is awesome :neomon:

I love her blues and jazz songs, it's refreshing to hear a current mainstream artist (albeit one mainly known in Japan) go back to those genres, they're largely unappreciated today. Her more pop and rock oriented songs aren't half bad either, though. Not to mention she's damn hot :wacky:

Mika is awesome :neomon:

I love her blues and jazz songs, it's refreshing to hear a current mainstream artist (albeit one mainly known in Japan) go back to those genres, they're largely unappreciated today.

I thought the same thing when I heard "Cry No More". The first thing that I thought was "THE JAPANESE ARE PERFECTING OUR GENRES:gasp:", and I'm not into jazz OR blues. That says a lot.

Not to mention she's hot :wacky:
inoerite O_O I'd go str8 for her

I thought the same thing when I heard "Cry No More". The first thing that I thought was "THE JAPANESE ARE PERFECTING OUR GENRES:gasp:", and I'm not into jazz OR blues. That says a lot.

Cry no More is great. My Sugar Cat is a really nice too, it's a smooth jazz song. Although probably my favorite smooth jazz song of hers is Love Addict. I think she made a video for it, but the song is long, 7 minutes.

inoerite O_O I'd go str8 for her
I'd go...owait, nevermind, I'm bi anyway so I like chicks to begin with :wacky:

*unrelated*
There sure are alot of gay/bi people on these forums. It's kind of nice not having a bunch of uptight homophobes running around shouting their rhetoric.

Ain't afraid to Die-Dir en Grey
Gackt's songs are the best(except a few),if you do not know Gackt you fail
An Cafe-Escapism
Girugamesh,they have a nice sound
Conceived Sorrow-Dir en Grey

I'd also recommend Dir en Grey to the fans of hardcore screamo,but so not watch their video clips if you don't want to have nightmares.

1. Utada Hikaru- Simple and Clean
2. Namie Amuro- Come
3. Ayumi Hamasaki- Dearest
4. BoA- Every Heart
5. Do As Infinity- Fukai Mori/ Deep Forest
6. Every Little Thing- Grip

all of them except the 1st one r from inuyasha

anything Alice nine, Maximum:The harmone[death note i think], Ayumi Hamasaki, GazzettE, Hyde, UVERworld[sang some of bleach's themes, Blood+],Gackit.
also
Broken wings -- Tamiko Tane[Trinity Blood]
the theme song to Air is really good too. forgot what it's called. ;^^
Nightmare[deathnote]

I KNEW there was this thread somewhere...I spent ages looking in the music subforum D:
I'm just going to post the ones from my Ayaka thread since apart from Utada Hikaru she's the only other Japanese artist I've really listened to.

I'll post the links to the 4 songs that have English subs so this lyrics are so deep and again, her voice is amazing.

Why? - Ending song on Crisis Core (when Zack is...going).

Okaeri

I believe - Don't think much of the hair >.<, but her voice is fantastic...there is also an English version of this song.

Te Wo Tsunagou (Let's Go Together Hand in Hand)

Clap & Love Greeeeat song...a pure bouncy and cheerful song. ^^

Utada Hikaru isn't just good for the soundtrack songs.
She made a couple of good albums. I recommend downlo aah i mean buying some if you come across them. I especially like the last one which is called Heart Station.

I actually don't listen to a lot of Japanese songs unless they're from an anime, but there's one I've been into recently.

God Knows by ENOZ ft. Aya Hirano. It's from Haruhi Suzumiya, and it's the bees knees!

Yes, yes! Why - Ayaka is the best =)
Some others:
Sen no yoru wo koete - Aqua Times
Life - YUI
Kansha - Real Street Project(RSP)
Pe'zmoku - Gallop
Ugh, most are from Bleach though... =D

I know a couple of good j-rock bands, but only one comes to my mind right know. Veltpunch- these guys are awesome. I'll post the others when I get to my j-music list.(LOL, yes I have a j-music list.

my fav japanese song of all time so far is a visual kei song, but it's not completely visual kei in a way, but here it is...

Alice Nine - RAINBOWS

Back