Did the music contribute to the game?

Music wasn't very good or bad but it fit with the game actually but I would give it 8/10 >.>

Off course! FFIX had the BEST soundtrack of any FF game imo. 'Melodies of Life' was SO sweet, and the music for the locations like Ipsen's Castle and Terra were simply magnificent. I also loved 'Protecting My Devotion' (when Steiner and Beatrix have to save Alexandria when Bahamaut attacks) and I loved the music that played when the Extraction Spell was being cast. :P

oh yeah the world map was really great with the meteor

my favorite is the fight song =)

imagine our world. then imagine our essence to life ,that is oxygen. After this, retrieve the oxygen from our world and we're all dead. Now, imagine ffIX with everything in it. you are zidane and the gang, all the elements are there and all. Now add
the awsome music it has. After this, take all the awosme music. not even the sound of chocobos remains. U see the game completely dead.

Now im gonna tell you a secret: u read two times the same thing

The music made me love the game even more because it matched with the sceneries and all those things.

The music of this game made it magical to put it short. Which is where the latest installments of FF games have been lacking.

The music of FFIX gives you the feel that it is an RPG game and within it, a Final Fantasy game.

I think that FFIX was one of the most successfully scored games of the series. It really pulled its weight in creating the environment - it was the game that came closest to feeling medieval because of the music. While they all have that element of being Japanese interpretations of European historicity, FFIX felt the least hokey in terms of that aspect. I remember being shocked at the sound of medieval instruments, as opposed to the modern orchestra I had been expecting.

Also, I really liked the leitmotifs used in FFIX. While, I'm not sure that the Melodies of Life motif was always used to its greatest potential (I think it should've been saved for dramatic moments exclusively and not used as part of the World Map theme), Nobuo Uematsu's tried and true melodies always stand up to multiple rearrangements. Some people feel like IX and VIII overdid it, but a lot of great scoring in cinema uses leitmotif much more extensively than these two games ever did.

I think the music was a nice addition to the game. I remember when "Protecting my devotion" played in the background, as steiner and beatrix fought together. I think it's one of the tunes that really stuck to me and pulled at my heart strings.

I use it for character inspiration to this day!

Yes it did, i think the music really contribute with the games, and i really like the "Melodies of Life"...

I loved the music in IX! It's one of my favourite game soundtracks. ^_^
I especially loved tracks such as Hunter's Chance, Vamo Alla Flamenco, Crossing the Knoll, We Are Thieves, Melodies of Life, Dali, Treno, Ice Cavern, Vivi's Theme, Eiko's Theme and Cid's Theme. They truly added something to the game, and enhanced the good and bad elements of the story. It was easier to feel involved too; everywhere was brought to life! ^_^

I didn't think there wuz anything wrong with the music. I like VIII and IX's music the best.

Absolutely. I actually noticed the music in the game. I usually don't pay attention to the in game music, but with this game, I actually did notice it and wanted to listen to more. It did it's job when needed. Boss fights, towns, etc. It gave the perfect mood. Most def one of my favorite game soundtracks, if not my favorite.

I absolutely loved the music in this game. The game itself was very theatrical, and the music complimented that very nicely, I loved that. My favourite song in the game is most likely "Feel My Blade". In fact, that whole scene from "I Want To Be Your Canary" was incredible. But with this song in particular, I loved the dramatic build up, and then the really epic sounding percussion and trumpets that played the coolest melody ever. :joey:

I just kind of randomly saw this thread, but I just had to say an absolute, hands down yes. One of the BIGGEST factors to the game. I feel that every piece of music I hear while playing this game matches perfectly with whatever it is going on at the time. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I've never called a game perfect before, but IX is seriously about as close to perfect as it gets for me. The music was fucking amazing in this game. Of all the songs, I'd definitely have to say that Lindblum Grand Castle is my favorite one.
IX is really underappreciated and its truly a shame.

Music always contributes to the game regardless of what the game is. It can contribute positively or negatively, or just go un-noticed. This is my firm, personal belief, so of course it contributed.

On that note, the nine soundtrack is downright amazing. I even went so far as to learn a few on my guitar. You Are Not Alone was one of the best songs in the entire sound track, but I could never pick an absolute best, definitely not.

Of course. xD I especially noticed this at the beginning of the game when they played Bittersweet Romance during that play starring "Marcus and Cornelia." It was such tragic music which fits the whole plot of the play.

And then of course, later on it only gets even better. Melodies of Life is by far one of the best songs I've heard in the FF series. It's right up there with To Zanarkand, Suteki Da Ne, Aerith's Theme, etc. The world of FF9 really needed that special touch of the right music soundtracks due to its medieval feel, and I must say that they did an excellent job in that area.

The music for the world map = EXTRAORDINARY! Simply FANTASTIC!

Not only that but certain plot points in the game made me cry because of the beautiful orchestrations. Loss of Me, anyone?

Question: How does music not contribute to a game?

I think no matter what game you play, music will always aid the game in some shape or form.

The real question for me would be: Do you think the music suits the game?

Yes, of course it does. In my personal opinion, the feel of the music-- every one actually, brought the presence of it's theme and era. I especially loved Garnet's song.

Just the fact that she had a reason behind it-- how it made her feel-- the song is a great lullaby and I will never stop loving it.

Back