Where the movies went wrong.

Maybe they could have made AC easier to understand for people who haven't played the games. My friend Tegan was watching it with me, and I had to explain all the characters to her. :\ Good movie though.

imho I did not really enjoy the movies that much. I didn't find them to be interesting as much as I thought i would...But the one movie I liked was Final Fantasy the spirits within or whatever, which i'm pretty sure was Square.

One of the biggest faults that I have had with the Final Fantasy OVAs is that it seems like they avoid using magic and good non-3D animation like the plague.

Spirits w/in was an unholy abbomination to the series (not a bad movie, but it almost seems like they took a promising existing film that might not have made it big and slapped the FF name on it straight into Hell) because the movie shares no context with the series aside from some small details fools convince themselves are significant (the old scientist in the movie is credited as Sid. S-id?!!?).

Last Order FF7 is understandable in the case of Zack and Cloud because they have just gotten on the run, but in the game FF7 SOLDIER is not the only one with access to materia.

In FF7 Advent Children, Cloud has a ton of materia, none of which he uses in battle or otherwise. Also, Yuffie in AC is proof that the other team members have materia of their own, but no one sees them using it. However, the materia the bad guys stole is only used in about three ways: some unnamed energy blast, a cluster attack of blue tracking blasts that might be matra magic even if it doesn't look much like it, and one lousy summon of a Bahamut (like we didn't see it coming). Instead of getting a feel for the kind of magical fantasy/guerilla warfare type experiences that Edge could have provided if those hours of stairs and ladders and elevators and tall buildings from the game mean anything anymore besides redundancy and something to allow characters to fly higher from and destroy, we got over the top weapons combat (without materia.... sniff) and insane physics that were a lot rarer in the game. If anything, AC brought up my old question, "What makes SOLDIER, Sephiroth, and Cloud so special?" I mean, in game and in AC there is no dramatic differences it seems between anyone as they are all capable of the same feats. OMMFG! Cait Sith just jumped a few hundred feet into the air and appeared to fly just like Sephiroth. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

My other peeve, the non-3D animation in the other OVAs (besides Last Order), looks completely ghastly compared to even the "unique" styles of One Piece (At least One Piece has an awesome story and loveable characters). Having FFU and The Legend of the Crystals drawn in One Piece style would be a big improvement. More seriously, why didn't Sqeenix use the same animators of LO or ones of similar caliber?

Sorry if I offended anyone, but these thoughts needed to get out now and exactly as they have.

I wouldn't even start comparing Advent Children to the Lord of The Rings trilogy. There was a reason that the LoTR won 17 Oscars and AC won none, and it wasn't because of the length of the film. The acting itself was pretty lame to be honest, there was hardly any emotions (apart from depression) in it, and Nomura made the characters look more feminine too! Start from there and you'll realize why the movies went wrong.

Pretty much and for a movie to be epic, you would need epic characters that could carry the film from start to the 3-hour finish. Have people forgotten what happened to Grindhouse at the box office? This could very well happen with straight-to-dvd as most people simply don't have that much time on their hands. 2 hours? Im cool with that, but 3 is pushing it and stretching out the quality.

Film the Square. Not clearest for me a film. As that logically at me it not to be acquired.

Last edited:
Maybe they could have made AC easier to understand for people who haven't played the games.

Maybe they could have made AC easier to understand for people who haven't played the games.

but what would be the point? It was made for fans of the FFVII, its was supposed to be seen as some kind of sequel just in movie form.
It's just like saying 'Why didn't the Matrix 2 and 3 make sense to people who haven't seen the first one?'

So yeah.

Regarding AC, I really think it was made only for those who have played the game. My sister and I watched it together and she had no clue what was going on half the time. After it was done she was asking me questions like, 'Who's hand was that--God's?' 'Who is Mother, and why is she in a box?' 'What does materia do--why are they after it?'. Having said that, it means it was an even bigger failure as a movie sequel because it wasn't even able to please its target audience--which included myself.

For me, it failed because of the storyline. No doubt, the graphics were mind-blowing. I admit, I found the zero gravity scenes equally ridiculous and amazing. :wacky: The storyline let me down. I didn't want to know that Cloud--the brave, strong, always-there-for-his-friends lead character I remember him to be--has decided to spend all those years in solitude to dwell on Aeris'
death
when in the game, it was clear (to me) that he's made peace with it after the world was safe, understanding that it was what Aeris wanted.

I couldn't understand where his extreme pain suddenly came from. Not only that, but the story revolved on this disappointing 'Cloud' as well as three guys who, to me, were practically aliens from the initial story. Sephiroth's
revival
(though I enjoyed seeing them duel again) seemed like it was purely fan-service.

I'm not always this opinionated. But I was looking forward to this movie a lot and it was such a big let down for me.

I agree that I think AC has a very poor storyline and they could've elaborated a lot more, but if you read the FFVII novellas On the Way to a Smile it explains things. Cloud and everybody have always been in pain over Aerith's death because everybody loved her, him included. No matter what Cloti fans may try and say, Cloud DID and still DOES love Aerith too. Look at California Babe's sig. She has the quote from Nomura himself.

Anyway, that's besides the point. Cloud was starting to get better until the next thing he knew he received a delivery from Elmyra Gainsborough to take a bouquet of flowers to the Forgotten City where Aerith was buried. Him going back there brought back all the pain and remorse he felt at not being able to save and protect her. That's where it all came from and that's where it all began. Then he ended up with geostigma later which at the time was uncurable, so he was ready to just basically give up living. I hope that makes sense.

I do, however, think that they could've elaborated more on it though. They could've turned those novels into part of the movie and added those bits in to make it more understandable because even people who have played the game (like myself and hubby) were still confused at a few things that were happening.

Anyway, that's besides the point. Cloud was starting to get better until the next thing he knew he received a delivery from Elmyra Gainsborough to take a bouquet of flowers to the Forgotten City where Aerith was buried. Him going back there brought back all the pain and remorse he felt at not being able to save and protect her. That's where it all came from and that's where it all began. Then he ended up with geostigma later which at the time was uncurable, so he was ready to just basically give up living. I hope that makes sense.

Actually, now it does. Where can I find that scene? D: Was it included in the movie? If I'd seen that, it would have helped shape my opinion on AC. That was one of my biggest concerns and it seems it has an answer now. :hmmm:

No dear, it's not in the movie. It's written in one of the novels On the Way to a Smile. I wanna say it's written in Tifa's Case. If you Google On the Way to a Smile you should be able to find the english translations online so you can read them.

Thanks, Mands. I've found it. It would be my fault for not scouting for updates after playing the game. Still, I wish they'd just included this in the storyline anyway. I think a few seconds would've made for a big difference. -__-

It's no problem hun. And yes, I agree with you. The storyline was so incredibly thin...it was just ridiculous. They could've done so much more with it. It just felt so shallow. Like all they cared about was pretty graphics and action sequences...-__- Add a bit more in perhaps then maybe people wouldn't have been so confused or they wouldn't have disappointed a boatload of FFVII fans who thought that the movie was fail beyond fail.

now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the movies but Square enix made one major flaw in both of them, and that one flaw is...they weren't epic enough. I mean both films were set in like one place for the entire time and there was no adventure involved. imagine advent chldren if they went to places like rocket city, kalm or costa del sol, but no they decide to introduce a new city that wasn't in the game! I mean who cares about edge!
I totally agree. I thought there would have been more depth to it.
Sadly, I was disappointed. It wasn't what I thought it would be. > n <;;

I think it was a bad idea to try to make Final Fantasy films in the first place. Final Fantasy has made its mark by being a series of 30+ hours sprawling adventures that take time to flesh out the characters and story and you just can't do that with one to two hours at your disposal.

Laconic: Stick to games, Square. You're good at it.

I thought the Advent Children movie was okay but Spirits Within was a joke..... seriously. Next time they decide to make an FF movie they might as well take their time and make a trilogy.

A ff movie without chocobos, magic, moogles or airships? No orchestral score by nobuo uematsu?

None of the unique and original characters ff is known for. Every character pressed from the characterization mold of a korean soap opera / japanese anime?

They're not really ff movies.

Only korean soap operas / japanese animes containing ff characters, rebadged with a ff label? :LJ:

Back