Final Fantasy - Boys game, or Girls game?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
Before I joined this forum, I would have classified FF as a "boys game" since I didn't know many girls - a grand total of one - who played it. Yet, I think that there's more girls than boys on this forum, and, there are more female staff than male staff.

So, what do you think? Is FF targeted better towards boys, or girls? Or is it one of those rare games that appeals to everyone?

I always thought it was a bit girly:P Guys usually like more action. It basically depends which FF game you're talking about. Here are my divisions:

Boys:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy IV

Girls
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy X-2

Eh, I think FF can appeal to both sexes equally. It just depends if you actually like gaming and fantasy. And Laro, I love FFVII and I'm a girl. Lol ;)

Eh, I think FF can appeal to both sexes equally. It just depends if you actually like gaming and fantasy. And Laro, I love FFVII and I'm a girl. Lol ;)

I didn't want to do that ^^' It's just what I think. That's not an exact list. I really think that FF is for both sexes

Hell no, it's not a boys game or girls game. Hell, I'm a girl and I've played games like Half-Life 2 and Quake 4. Those games are FPS and geared towards men.

JRPGs seem to appeal to girls anyways...

I'll add more to this later.

Huh? More girls than boys on this forum? Are you sure...?

But anyway, it appeals to both sexes, of course. Honestly, I can say for myself that RPG games (not just Final Fantasy) appeals more to me than any other type of games. So in the end, it's all really up to one's taste.

I think its equal to both genders. Except FFX-2 seems to be more directed towards girls only because there are 3 girl main characters. I still think that guys will play it too seeing as there in skimpy dresses :monster:

I don't think it's target audience is just one sex, as people have said. I'll admit there are games in which the romantic side story is more suitable for a female audience; VIII especially. But when you look at the overall plot, the target audience seems pretty neutral. As for X-2... WELL, that was clearly aimed at both. They made the characters extra slutty so that guys wouldn't feel camp for buying an otherwise "girly" game.

I think the earlier games were probably aimed more at a male audience though since, back then, girls didn't play games as much, or maybe I'm wrong there. I just know I didn't come across many girls who loved games.

Both my girl and I love the FF series. Nice when you can share the same passions... Although, she's a Cloud/Aerith fan and I'm a Tidus/Yuna fan... <sigh> I guess no one's perfect. ;)

Id say it appeals to both sexes but all the guys I know in RL say it's a 'girls game' just because it's not running around and shooting peoples heads off, but then these same people have never given it a chance

Well, since there are many more male gamers than female gamers, most of the games are directed towards boys. Ever since X and more girls have been playing video games the games have been geared more towards both genders.

The reason you see more girls on FF forums than guys is I think because girls are more likely to join forums.

I think that the majority of all video game players are boys. As the years go by though, it seems like more and more girls get into the fling.

Final Fantasy...it's...it's got a little bit of something for both parties. (This could turn into a sexist debate thread...)
Most boy games are classically defined as bloody gory, fighting, racing...things like that. And girl games are like fairy barbie games. XD
At least that's how parents would define them...

FF has both aspects. We see blood and gore in FFVII, romance in FFVIII, love AND war in FFIX...

Every game has something for both...

I don't think it is aimed at a specific gender, but more-so at different interestes, as it has in it's story and gameplay different aspects. It aims at people interested in a love story, at people interested in war, a great adventure, RPG lovers and whatver grabs you. (Yes, it is possible for boys to follow the love story with interest and girls to enjoy killing monsters. With me, I enjoy EVERYTHING, every hobby every interest, every aspect, because with them all together, that is what makes a Final Fantasy, a Final Fantasy.

I would definately say that Final Fantasy games are unisex and aimed for people of all ages. To say a game fits one gender is pretty wrong because both genders play them alot.

FF-games are aimed for both genders but not for all ages. Team members are getting younger and younger. While VI and VII had almost all over 20 while VIII was all teens, IX mostly too, X again for teens and XII didnt do any better. I would like to have FF-game with much older heroes. Men who aren´t angsty whiny bitches like Squall, Tidus and Vaan.

Girls
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy X-2

Hahaha. I like a grand total of one game on that list. :monster: I guess to be fair though, I haven't played I-III.

I've never really thought about it as targeted at one gender though. I always figured it was targeted at RPG fans in general.

i think that it doesn't really mater the sex of the player as both me and my Girlfriend play them, which is god because we can share tactics and advice but she seems to think that Kuja is the ultimate baddie but i think it is Sephiroth hehe but yea it has to be a general unisex game

FF-games are aimed for both genders but not for all ages. Team members are getting younger and younger. While VI and VII had almost all over 20 while VIII was all teens, IX mostly too, X again for teens and XII didnt do any better. I would like to have FF-game with much older heroes. Men who aren´t angsty whiny bitches like Squall, Tidus and Vaan.

pineapple you have a good point but i think they have the younger whiney heroes cos who the hell falls for a 40 year old scarred up war veteran lol. that would kinda make it harder to have the love story. actually you could have the older scarred up hero if he's searching for his long lost love. could prob make a story out of that without to muchtrouble.

anyway i think generally it was focused at males way back when. but now is focused at both. in some cases you can see where it would appeal more for the girls. the love story and such. tbh tho i cant see a ff game without one.

Back