Revenant Wings FFXII: Revenant Wings - Worth getting it?

Scarlet

*wobbles*
Veteran
Gil
I'm not sure weather or not to buy FFXII: RW. I've seen a few reviews about it. On Metacritic.com the average review was 83 out of 100 base on 26 press reviews. Not sure if I want to spend money on this game now.

What do you guys think? Is it worth getting this game or not?

I say yes.

As much as XII failed as a good RPG, the world of Ivalice was amazing and the *small amount of* background story on everything left so much room open. Supposedly XII delves more into Ivalice's past and reveals more stuff. I'll probably get a ROM of it whenever an English one becomes available, you can always do that too, or just wait till it's cheaper.

I also wouldn't mind commanding a league of chocobos to battle my enemies ^_^

This is a first, but I agree with VR, but for different reasons.

In this game, the characters have these things called emotions. Yeah, I know, a completely new concept to ff12. So, take all of the good things about ff12, except graphics, add a touch screen, and chuck in some emotions, ad that makes one hell of a good game

In this game, the characters have these things called emotions. Yeah, I know, a completely new concept to ff12.

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when Darkstar said something that full of win. I applaud you, good sir, there might still be some hope left for you.

Yar, I totally forgot to touch on that subject in my last post, but it will be nice to see some actual character given to the characters this time around.

I just ordered a copy off ebay - it better be in english...it was only 15 quid (p&p inclusive) so I thought Id give it a whirl and hope its not one big dissapointment.... Im also hoping it will go into abit more of a backstory of whoever may be in it ...

but then Iv also bought war of the lions and i dont even own a psp so im whats known as an impulse buyer....& it was in the sales

*edit - i really don't do my research o_O

I'd say it's pretty good. I got it yesterday, and I'm on Chapter 6. Loveable characters, but an odd battle system. It's the same system from this other game I used to have... What was it? Crud, I can't remember. Just look at some screenshots. I guess you should get it, I'd give it an 8/10. I was expecting something like FFIII. But yes, I suggest you get it.

It seems like a great game and all but im not too sure ill go out to get a DS over it. Now if i owned a DS id get it. Ive looked at a few screenshots and it looks like a great game. I for one wasnt a fan of the PS2 version other then its graphics. But the character seem to be alittle better. (yes i know there the same characters >.>)

Haha, so I was actually browsing around and came across this thread because I wanted to know if I should get it not. As I was thinking, my brother was opening his presents as it is his birthday today...

Then all of a sudden he shouted, "YES! I got FFXII Revenant Wings!"

xD Now I don't have to get it. I can just borrow his game. Weeeee. I'll be playing it today and I'll edit this post some time later.

I'm seeing it in all of the shops right now and I'd really like to get it but, before I do, I want to hear quite a bit of feedback on it, so I thought this thread was the most appropriate. I don't even own a DS, you see, so buying this would mean a hell of a lot of persuasion for my little cousin to part with it for the time being. xD

I wouldn't expect the game to be remarkable in any way, really, but it's Final Fantasy XII all the same. You know me, biased little bugger towards XII.

Meh, it's hit-and-miss with me. Some aspects I love, others I hate. I tend to look to much into games, but if there's a genuine flaw, I'll note it.

What I Like:
* Character emotions
* Character development
* Unique Character classes! Huzzah! No clones! (Quickenings that don't suck as a bonus :D)
* The Battle System
* FMV's! ... Despite there only being 5 so far.
* I'm actually impressed by the graphics for the most part.

What I Dislike:
* Discontinuation in Lore
* The Espers ... if you can call them that.
* Coincidences, that are too Deus Ex Machina.
* The Plot ... WTF? It has less of a plot than XII, and that is f*cking saying something.
* The Villains ... pretty baddass concept for the main villain ... but it's already been done (*coughVandalHeartscough*), one set of villains have an even worse case of "WHY WON'T YOU DIE?!!" than Seymour ... and Generic Grunt villains (think LotR orcs in terms of behaviour and place in the story, lots of them and completely replaceable) are just ... naff.

~~Only 49% of the way through, however ... and I only bought it yesterday ... I was expecting a longer game ~~

I really like it ^_^

I actually DO think thees more of a plot to it than XII :wacky: The battle system was abit meh at first but now Im used to it, it's all good

I think I finally have all my playable characters (hopefully they won't bog off like a certain banga)

I love the whole thing with the Judge of Wings and finding all about her and whatnot

And Vaan actually feels like the main character :monster:

I like doing all the monster melees & stuff, I have seen the game over screen alot tho which is a pain & it's no fun when you finish a mission and your battery dies, but I think thats more user error than the games fault :wacky:

Ihn short,Id definately say it was worth getting

one set of villains have an even worse case of "WHY WON'T YOU DIE?!!" than Seymour .

Lord yes, just DIE already -_-

this game is ok at best i bought it beacause its a final fantasy game and ive been playing final fantasy for as long as i can remember i enjoy ff12 and i enjoyed this game too however compared to ff12 the diffucluty lv was dropped by at least 93% this game was to easy it was fun but its worth waiting a couple months till the price drops yes theres emotions in it for the characters saying as emotions is a mager part of the story line all in all its a thumbs up for the ds although i believe it woulda been better for the psp

MC. KRACKEN this is my first post

So, I was thinking of playing (emulating to be precise) RW & had some specific questions regarding whether or not I should & figured this was as good a place to ask (right?)...how's the battle system exactly? Do I need to have played XII? Because I haven't (besides the demo in DQVIII)...Will there be a bunch of crap I won't understand? Or is it enjoyable to n00bs of the XII world?

Well, it kinda helps, seeing as you'll find out more about past characters.

The battle system..basically, whenever you gain pieces of auracite, and defeat monsters, you can unlock a pact space, and you can enlist an Esper to help you in battle. Rank III espers do not come out onto the field unless you have a summoning gate in the level. Level I and II ones are automatically brought up without having to go to a gate to get them summoned. You can have as many characters as you like, and once you assign Espers to a little team, you can have up to 3 different teams. Make sure you do what you can to give each character the type of monster they're related to skillwise. Say, seeing as Pennelo and Kytes are Ranged, they need ranged beasts. Kytes creatures do damage, so give him so damaging ranged espers. Pennelo, heals, so chances are you will either use the Giza Bunnies, or Carbuncle. I sometimes, depending on what monsters I go up against, make some characters have different types of beasts. Once in battle, I think you can summon as many beasts as you can, but you are limited in how many you summon by the amount of affinity points you have . So you can only summon so many at one point.

You can make your characters do whatever - split some groups up to take on different monsters, and some to take treasure.

Characters learn skills as they go along, and you can also set them one Gambit. Like, you can set Pennelo with Curaga, Vaan with Dual Attack, Lluyd with Jump. You can change the Gambits anytime of course.

so, you think its 93% easier? 93%?not like, 92%? 'cause thats where I was in the neighborhood of...... *snicker*

What....?

I was just on 93% when I completed it....and your point is what exactly?

Well, I was wondering if it would be better if I beat XII first, then played Reverent Wings? Cuz I'm in the last dungeon area in XII, but I just haven't beaten it yet.

You might aswel finish it off if you're that close, are you in the pharos or the Bahamut?

I hate the pharos, but the story suddenly gets great when you reach the top :monster:

The story of Revenant Wings would certainly make alot more sense if you completed it, altho I wouldn't say it was completely necessay ^_^

Ordered XII: RW, What am I in for?

OK, so I LOVED FF XII, but I am a little hesitant on this new DS sequel. What am I in for people? I would love to hear any thoughts, opinions, and anything else you would love to share. I read up on the moving/battle system and it looks like its all stylus. I guess you cant use the directional pad to move? That kinda blows. But hey, sacrifices must be made I guess.
Anyways, back on topic. Also, I hear the game seems to take to Summoning a lot? I would also love to know how that goes. I mean, summoning in FF XII was pointless unless you were under level and in a bind. So...its more useful now?

This game looks like some cross between FF Tactics and Age Of Empires lol...
Lemme know whats up guys.
:)

The story isn't epic, it's nice enough, not too depressing. Battles can be annoying, repetitive, but there are a lot of ways you can enter a battle. Different Gambits you can use, different types of monsters etc.

Missions later on do get hard, so get plenty of training done.

Back