Calling all Atheists

God does not exist. Prove me wrong.

End of discussion :wacky:

Nice exercise.

Original post edited, don't be a smartarse, I'm trying to get a decent discussion going. I'm sick of all this christian bashing nonsense I see here. I'm playing devils advocate if you will. I'm no christian, but I want some atheist arguements proving christians wrong.

And I want it NAO

This is meant for serious discussion. Please post more than one-liners...

This is meant for serious discussion. Please post more than one-liners...

That's what I was trying to provoke. Just a short stimulus, however Riku decided to be clever.

So back to the topic at hand.

Can you atheists really prove the non-existence of god, without circular logic and saying "I find it unbelieveable for 'god' to exist, it is implausible" because Christians say the same that they find it "unbelieveable" for him to not exist.

Is it because you are trying to reason your way to gods existence, some say God is a matter of faith, and you can't reason your way to your faith, some say it's impossible.

So reason your way to saying god doesn't exist.

I don't think that any kind of God exists because I find it difficult to believe the entire concept and I only see God as a symbol, or example, to which many religions descend from. I'm hardly saying something new but I'm with that theory that the tales in the bible are only stories and were created by whoever as a book of values from which we should try to live our lives. I'm quite open-minded to the concept of religion and belief in God - hell, I might be compelled to eat my own words if there was any evidence to prove his existence. However, this vicious cycle wont end anytime soon as Atheists will always demand evidence to the contrary.

These arguments wont stop unless God pops in one day and says hello.

God does exist.

Prove me wrong, without the use of science and circular logic.

Don't really leave 'em much do you?

God can be whatever you want him (or her) to be.. Doesn't necessarily have to be a being, could just be symbolic of the creation of the universe and life and life after death.

I don't think that any kind of God exists because I find it difficult to believe the entire concept and I only see God as a symbol, or example, to which many religions descend from. I'm hardly saying something new but I'm with that theory that the tales in the bible are only stories and were created by whoever as a book of values from which we should try to live our lives. I'm quite open-minded to the concept of religion and belief in God - hell, I might be compelled to eat my own words if there was any evidence to prove his existence. However, this vicious cycle wont end anytime soon as Atheists will always demand evidence to the contrary.

These arguments wont stop unless God pops in one day and says hello.

This is coming back to your beliefs again. I'm not asking for your beliefs, I'm asking why god CANNOT exist. I know as atheists require evidence for everything, why do they rely on the Big Bang theory which has as much evidence as there is for the existence of god.

Also, you're not very open minded to the existence of god if, you said it yourself "I don't think that any kind of god exists"

The arguements won't stop, but they could at least stop using circular logic and stop letting their opinions get in the way of things.

This is coming back to your beliefs again. I'm not asking for your beliefs, I'm asking why god CANNOT exist. I know as atheists require evidence for everything, why do they rely on the Big Bang theory which has as much evidence as there is for the existence of god.
Well, I don't think that any human could have the answer to that question nor the exact opposite of that question. There is no way to say whether or not God does or doesn't exist, but i would say that god doesn't exist because I cannot perceive god. My senses are the only concrete things that tell me whether or not something in this world exists. They are the only thing, as a human, that I can truly rely on. I have never before experienced God; I have not seen him, heard him, felt him, smelt him, nor tasted him ( though I wouldn't know why i would want to ).

Plus, isn't it sort of stereotypical to assume that all atheists believe in the Big Bang theory? I can't really believe it for the same reasons I cannot believe in god.

Also, you're not very open minded to the existence of god if, you said it yourself "I don't think that any kind of god exists"
A person cannot believe in two contradicting ideas at the same time. i believe what Riku meant was that for the moment he does not believe in god but there is a chance that he will change his beliefs if there is proof that satisfies him that god exists.

It all depends on the way you define God. To me, a God is someone who decides their own fate and makes their own choices. Therefore, I am God.

Short and sweet, but I proved you right. =O

Well, I don't think that any human could have the answer to that question nor the exact opposite of that question. There is no way to say whether or not God does or doesn't exist, but i would say that god doesn't exist because I cannot perceive god. My senses are the only concrete things that tell me whether or not something in this world exists. They are the only thing, as a human, that I can truly rely on. I have never before experienced God; I have not seen him, heard him, felt him, smelt him, nor tasted him ( though I wouldn't know why i would want to ).

Plus, isn't it sort of stereotypical to assume that all atheists believe in the Big Bang theory? I can't really believe it for the same reasons I cannot believe in god.

A person cannot believe in two contradicting ideas at the same time. i believe what Riku meant was that for the moment he does not believe in god but there is a chance that he will change his beliefs if there is proof that satisfies him that god exists.

No one will have a final answer, but we can always try and work our way towards it and understand it slightly better instead of being naive relying on empirical evidence all the time.

I've never experienced god, or any of the sort, in fact I think very few christians have experienced god. How can we really know what people experience. I've never experienced such things but I don't rule out the existence of god, or a possible god/creator.

And yes, a person can't believe in two contradicting ideas, but a person can believe in neither, and can question both ideas and be open minded to the two, and not let personal opinions in the way of their judgement.

I believe that this is a rather interesting exercise, Finnegan. And I can definitely see his point in this discussion... What he is trying to prove is that it requires as much, if not MORE, faith to be an atheist than it is to be religious.

And, in my opinion, that makes atheism a religion in it's own right.

It all depends on the way you define God. To me, a God is someone who decides their own fate and makes their own choices. Therefore, I am God.

Short and sweet, but I proved you right. =O

Haha. Good point.

There's many types of god, some gods allow free will, some end up determining everything.

If we're going to prove the existence or non-existence of a god we'd have to assume God created the world as we know it. Whether or not he controls our fate is another question.

Haha. Good point.

There's many types of god, some gods allow free will, some end up determining everything.

If we're going to prove the existence or non-existence of a god we'd have to assume God created the world as we know it. Whether or not he controls our fate is another question.
Exactly... While I believe whole-heartedly in creationism, I do not believe that a god controls us... If that were the case we would either be extremely boring because we'd all act alike, or he is easily amused by people butting heads, so-to-speak.

xD Yeah, but think about it...

Atheists believe in nothing having created the world. So, they believe in something. They just don't know what it is...

And what is a religion but steadfast devotion to an idea or action?

They are devoted to believing in nothing... or science. Whichever.

Smells like religion.

Confucianism is considered a religion. And it is nothing more than a steadfast belief in the philosophies of a single man.

Once upon a time I was christian.

Upon the discovery of major flaws in the bible compared to science and various wrong doings of past christians (burning of witches if they were or were not and killing others for their beliefs is the beginning) I announced myself to be of no religion. Afterall how could a god allow his people to commit such atrocities.

For many years I toiled over religion and I honestly could not find any answer as to how some form of god could not exist.

The final idea I came up with was that god was everything. Before the big bang god was a single being, a pile of mush have you. God then exploded giving life to everything, be it on purpose or not.

For a year I did not believe that god could do anything to us, for we were god, we were a piece of that piule of mush. But over that year I came to realize that there are many occurances that have came to pass that should have resulted in me being seriously injured or screwed, the final act being my car spiriling out of control across two lanes on the street. Incidently I hit nothing. It was on this day I once again became a christian, because that was just one too many coincidences for me. Someone must be out there keeping an eye on me, is how I feel.

When I lacked religion I said I would never believe in anything, I even tried other religions to no avail. At that time I had a girlfriend and she said to me "I don't think I could ever see you in any religion."

I was an Atheists, but even as a serious one I was unable to ignore the idea of a god.

If you didn't gather my point here it is:
If I could not find an answer as an Atheist, then how can anyone else.

The only way to remain an Atheist I feel is to never think about the subject, because if you think about it enough eventually you come to the conclusion that something extreamly powerful must have created everything, and that means something is god, even if it can not think.

Back