What are you currently reading?

The Colour of Magic
I've never been all that bothered by Terry Pratchett in the past. No real reason, I think I just didn't know anyone who had read them so hadn't really heard great things about the Discworld novels. In the last year or so though I've looked into it a bit more and gotten more and more interested. I'm about two thirds of the way through this one and I'm impressed so far. I find it very easy to pick up and read, and I find Terry Pratchett to be the right blend of funny with an excellent vivid imagination. He does a great job of creating an intriguing world that is different from your usual sort of fantasy novel. If I do have any problem with it then it's that so far it all feels like a sequence of set pieces rather than a story that progresses. There are plenty of effects, but as far as I've seen so far there doesn't seem to be many causes. That however, does work with the Discworld mythos.

I am reading a non-fiction book about the discovery of the Titanic.
It is called, "Titanic" by Dr. Robert Ballard (the person who actually discovered the wreck of the R.M.S. Titanic in 1985).

It's a GREAT historical book filled with info on everything related to the Titanic, it's construction, maiden voyage, disaster, and discovery. It has many pictures, graphs, and blue prints in it.

I am fascinated by the Titanic, about the disaster, about anything that has to do with it, including the countless Titanic movies and TV specials and documentries.

Yea, that is what I am reading now. Titanic.

Moved on to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein now. I think I read a little of it in English back in school as I'm remembering some parts as I read it. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, but I am finding it a bit of a difficult read because of the language it is written in. Obviously I'm not reading a foreign book, but the style is very dated and it takes a little more focus and concentration than you usually have to put into reading. But if you can overcome that, then it is definitely worth reading and it's obvious why it is such a classic.

I'm currently reading what I think is Stephen King's latest novel: Revival. I'm only about 70 pages in, but there's something that's so addictive about it. The family is quite plain, but at the same time they're people you can relate to and follow easily.

Here's my favourite passage so far. It's about a priest who has lost his faith (for reasons I won't spoil):

"Religion is the theological equivalent of a quick-buck insurance scam, where you pay in your premium year after year, and then, when you need the benefits you paid for so religiously, you discover the company that took your money does not, in fact, exist."

It's a really interesting way of looking at the ultimate reward of Heaven imo. What if you work so damn hard to be religiously good all your life and get literally nothing out of it? Would it be a waste of decades and decades? Does it even matter if there's nothing there, because you're essentially obtaining the benefit of being a better person during your lifetime anyway?

...time to see just how mad this priest goes :lew:.

If I Stay- Gale Forman

I'm only 40 pages in, but it's a good read so far. Nothing that special really yet but I'm hoping that as I read more, it'll get more exciting down the road. Apparently

it's kind of a big deal book--if I remember there's a movie? :lew:

Typical teenage girl living a normal teenage life and bam! tragedy strikes! :gasp:

Gives me something to do! I'm not at all a book reader, but I've just been in a mood?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarden: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things.

Have reread this book many times. Good, abstract thoughts.

Gai-jin by James Clavell

A novel set in late 1800s Japan at the end of the Tokugawa shogunate (called Torunaga in the book). It revolves around the drama between the Japanese and the various Europeans trying to gain a foothold in Japan. It's a sequel to the book, Tai-pan.

The Family Business 3 by Carl Weber.

I read the other two books in the series and I am procrastinated reading this one. I need something other than Smash to hold me over until my New 3DS is delivered with Monster Hunter, so I may as well take the time to finally getting to this book. Can't wait! :awesome:

The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly.

It's the eleventh book in the Charlie Parker series and it's living up to all expectations. I'm almost finished it now (another 100 pages or so to go) and I find the concept John Connolly has explored in this book (as with The Black Angel, The Unquiet and The Lovers) is truly fascinating and very authentic.

For the past while I've been reading this series and now, only have one more book to read (the latest one released last Autumn) before I'm all caught up :sad3:. I'm going to feel a little lost after that. Hopefully Robin Hobb's new trilogy will be coming out soon.

Why does he do that? By Lundy Bancroft

It's interesting enough, I suppose, it doesn't really offer much into the minds of the abusers, more like it offered a look in to the minds of the shrinks who see the abusers, it actually lacks a fair amount of good substance, but I guess I haven't finished it yet. It's hard to get passed the demonization of "white males" but I suppose it's gotta be worth the years of research they claim are invested into it. But in all honesty, it looking like it falls short on its promises.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

read it probably over 15 times (can't stop won't stop)

I've read a couple of things over the last few weeks.

Colour Of Magic (Terry Pratchett) - I was getting bored of always reading Stephen King, so I tried another popular author out and found out that it's so different and refreshing :griin:. The humour in this book was so good and it opened in a slightly confusing way that made me think. I loved it so much (especially that magic chest lmao :lew:).

The Light Fantastic (TP again) - The sequel to CoM. Just as good, though it didn't show the Gods' input so much in this one. I loved that they were playing a role playing game with the heroes in the first book, so missed it here. Having said that, I love the imagination and creativity he showed.

Equal Rites (guess who...TP) - Still in the Discworld realm, but with new characters etc. It's about the first female wizard and the outcast she is seen as by the blokes. I love her granny here along with the staff (who could very well be made of serpiant pearwood, am I right??? :britt:). Soooo much fun to read. I have Mort here too, which is supposed to be a fan favourite about how the grim reaper came to be...but I'll leave that one for a bit.

Desperation (Stephen King) - So I've gone back to good ol' SK after a short break and what a book to try! I've loved the first 3rd and can't wait to see what happens to the protags. They've all been introduced so well (the cop antagonist too, come to that) and I can't believe I've missed this story for all these years! Apparently, Regulators was published at the same time by Richard Bachman (SK's alter ego) so I think that may be next.

Ring (some japanese author) - I prefer the american film to the book. Something about having an evil spirit with both balls and a kitty takes me right out of the horror :monocle:. Still...it was an interesting alternative way to check out the whole story, so I'm glad I read it.

Currently on the 5th novel of the Game of Thrones series called A Song of Ice and Fire. The 5th book is called A Dance With Dragons and basically covers what happens in the 5th season of the HBO series, but it does seem to stray a bit away from it.

I'm loving it so far and hoping the 6th novel is completed soon. George R.R. Martin I guess has fallen behind in completing this one so it's be set back a bunch. 1000 pages each, it can't be easy to write I guess.

Back