Votes: 37 8.3%
  • It's alright

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • I hate it

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • I've never even played it

Votes: 9 2.0%

• Total voters
I love the writing and the characters. They're easily among the best in the series. The majority of what makes the gameplay I hate though.

Its alright but its Zelda esque characters are disturbing, the gameplay is fine but its too slow even with haste.

The plot i liked it very much even tough i didnt liked Zidane too much as Main (Stock characters are my thing), Kuja was freaking strange with those garments and to this day it still bothers me. But FF9 probably has my favorite boss battles after FF5.

Frankly, I quite like it.

My only main problem with this game (and it's actually not that bad of a problem) is that the battles can be very slow. Even in active mode and when the battle speed is at its fullest, the ATB bar doesn't go very fast. Other than that, the graphics are wonderful, the ability system is fun, the music is beautifully done, and it's very charming. It's excellently made game :)

Its what got me into FF games.. I cant say whether its the best as even though I've played most of the ff games, IX is the only one I've beaten. I'm currently playing 8 and Im about 4hrs in and it hasnt really gripped me like ff9 did, so whether I will play to the end depends on how the story goes.

Final Fantasy IX is, without a doubt, my favorite game in the entire series. I love the music, gameplay, and story. I think Square did right with the ability system they used in the game.

Gotta say I love this game. I must have been 13 or so when I first got it and the "cartoony" characters didn't dissuade me in the slightest because I knew since it was a FF game it would be awesome. I think most people like this game because it has a great story, like most FF games. If you can't get over the "cartoony" characters then you really shouldn't be playing RPG's anyways.

Frankly, I quite like it.

My only main problem with this game (and it's actually not that bad of a problem) is that the battles can be very slow. Even in active mode and when the battle speed is at its fullest, the ATB bar doesn't go very fast.
I always thought that myself when playing through this game. It just felt like the battle cut-scenes and after battle celebrations took the longest. I think that's where the idea of the free-roam battles that came into play in FFXII became more popular due to the ease of transition from exploring to battling.

It definitely made FFIX more tedious when just trying to level-up or grind later in the game and the fan-fare and pre-game zoom in on the camera got to be somewhat annoying.

One of my favorite games of all time, perhaps even my all time favorite. I love basically everything about it. It has got some flaws, a few of the later plotpoints especially the whole Garland/Terra thing was pretty stupid, the game can be slow (personally I just tuned it fastest battle speed in config and it was fine) and the fact that you can't enter many of the awesome locations in endgame.

But it didn't take away from the overall feel and fun I had with this game. The fact that every character is unique in combat is one of things I love the most. The story is very good, writing is great, characters are amazing.

I remember when I first got the game on my birthday, I stayed up the whole night with a friend and we just played through the whole first disc with very limited english skills at the time.

It was a fantastic game.

It, along with VIII, seemed to be overshadowed by VII and despised by some because they weren't the same game. For many, VII was the first they played (it opened up to an entirely new kind of audience) as I-VI could be labelled "Gamers Only". Since the majority of fans nowadays started at VII, not many people appreciated all the references and throw-backs to the original games.

I'm one of the ones that started with VII, yet I still appreciate the game for what it tried to do. It doesn't even need nostalgia bombs to hold up on its own as a fantastic game. It's just a shame that there are countless fans that were closed minded enough to expect futuristic anime characters with fucking huge swords in every subsequent installment.

Not only this, but IX in particular was overshadowed by the PS2's release and was overlooked by lots of people.

Final Fantasy IX stood out to me as what Final Fantasy was supposed to be. In many of the previous games, the main protagonist stays silent for most of the game but Zidane has an angst that fits character. Also the way they implemented "jobs" into the background of the characters was very entertaining and I felt like I could build a relationship with the characters I played with. I also enjoy the system of obtaining abilities, spells and passive reactions through equipping weapons and armor. This is similar to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which happens to be like my favorite game ever. :) I can't set up the quality of the Final Fantasy games in a linear way, but I'd have to say that FF9 is definitely worth playing for multiple reasons.

FFIX is a real fun game overall. But, the story line really is terrible. If the group would've just traveled throughout the world conquering boss's and seeing sights, on its path to finding a way to conquer queen brahne and kuja that would've been great. Time and time again though the plot just unravel's and falls apart. I was so excited at mount gulug to take a long trek up the mountain and have a major battle with kuja and my dreams were crushed....

I love it a lot :) It's one of my favorite final fantasy!!
Maybe in the end of the story it becomes a little bit worse, I mean the part of the crystal world isn't so good!
Anyway the songs are fantastic and the characters are all (less or more) characterized!! Steiner is fantastic xd!!

I like it alot but I don't LOVE it. I've played through it 1 or 2 times compared to the 5 or 6 i've played through 7 + 8. I'm not sure why, it certainly has a better equipment/ability system than 8 (albeit a tad linear). The card game is god awful, so FF8 beats it there. The storyline is good but I just don't like Quina and Eiko. I understand Eikos relevance to the story but fighting with a little girl just seems wrong... What the hell is Quina all about? I just... no.. doesn't click with me. Vivi is different compared to Eiko. He's small but is he really a child? I'm not so sure..

The soundtrack is good though, arguably better than 8 but not a touch on 7..

It's definitely not bad, I like it, I really do; it's just behind 7,8 and 10 in my favorites.

Absolutely love it. Great characters, great story, great blend of old and new elements, etc. My second favorite Final Fantasy game next to Final Fantasy VII (though not by much).

FF 9! Love it. Top tier final fantasy game. Why?

- The fairy tail feel and music are so sweet that it instantley hook you to the game
- Best graphics for PSX....and the FMV. It puts ff 7 into the corner of shame! Hell almost every other game out there on the PSX!
- Feeling of beeing on actualy adventure...is right on the spot.
- nice minigames! Chocobo/tetra master (wich i like better than triple traid ff8) and ROPE JUMP!! lol i made 2.225 jumps, than i gave up.
- Zidane. Optimistic player. I like him.
- Willing to find all the equipment because of the skils you can learn is verry addictive.
- did i mentioned the FMV yet? yes! IT IS AWSOME!

This is, hands down, my favorite FF game of all so far. The story is rich, the characters have such fascinating stories that blend fantasy with reality in the sense that they seem majestic, but at the same time you can relate to one of them in some ways. I also find Vivi's story to just be so heart felt, I get emotional thinking about it haha.
And though the story ended beautifully, with a hint of sadness, if there had to be a sequel to an FF game, I wish it would have been FFIX, not FFX.

I'm not even done with my first playthrough of this, and I absolutely LOVE IT!

I am on disc 2 right now, and I grown to love this party and pull for Vivi and Zidane in their little quests.

My favourite Final Fantasy by far. Although it was my first, after playing all of the other games, I still hold this one as my dear number 1. The characters are amazing, they all have feelings and, even Quina, are beneficial to the storyline. People who say that Quina doesn't fit must have not really gotten the gist of the moral the game was trying to portray. Zidane was always the leader, always the hero. People were always learning things from him. But then, he learns that it really isn't as simple as just him teaching them, but they are really teaching him so much more. Quina is teaching him about freedom and doing whatever one wants, while the other characters each teach him something individual. Or at least, that's what I got from the game. I think it really makes you think about things in life differently as well. Always has been, and always will be my favourite Final Fantasy and my favourite game.

This is one FF i need to go back and finish. I bought it when it first came out and for some reason didnt get into back then. Now that I've seen other fans talk so good about it i'm going to go back and play it as soon as I finish playing FF8 since i never got past disc 1 in 9.

Same story here. I have no idea why I didnt finish it and lost interest back when it first came out, which NEVER happened with me and ff titles, but I downloaded it and started a play through a couple of weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with it. The story, the characters, and esp the soundtrack...all awesome.

This is one FF i need to go back and finish. I bought it when it first came out and for some reason didnt get into back then. Now that I've seen other fans talk so good about it i'm going to go back and play it as soon as I finish playing FF8 since i never got past disc 1 in 9.

Back