Votes: 37 8.3%
  • It's alright

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • I hate it

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • I've never even played it

Votes: 9 2.0%

• Total voters
I wasn't all that interested in this one to be honest it was too basic for my liking

I totally agree with this Statement.

I mean, it was a good game and all. But the battle system was nothing special and the Trance & Ability system were boring. >_<;;

Story was done quite nicely though. Only thing that really kept me going. That and the characters. They were very well done.

Other than that, It was quite simple and basic feeling. At least to me.

great characters, lots of humor, good development, flowing storyline.. so overall i really liked it. :)

Not my favourite FF but still a good game for the series, there were parts I didn`t like, such as if you didn`t use trance in straight away then you lost it.........it doesn`t carry over to the next battle. But there were also things that I thought were great, for me IX had the best FMV`s.
That said I have to confess my inherent dislike for a final enemy who only pops up just before you fight him................whats the point!!!

Necron was actually present through the entire game. One of the major themes in FF9 was death and how short life really is. Through out the game, most of the characters feared death in some way, specifically Zidane, Vivi and Kuja. In their own way they were fighting against death.

Necron was death personified. In the end, they realize that they can never truly defeat death but there was no reason not to keep fighting. (Basically, to live for as long as you can)

At first Necron is a bit random, but if you understand his purpose and the story of FF9, it actually makes sense that he would appear at the end.

Oh, I loved it.
There were some scenes I despised, particularly wandering around Treno and the Roos, but the rest of it (particularly anything set in Alexandria) I adored.
One of my faves.

I disagree with what Rydia said, though. I don't think Zidane was battling death: I think Zidane was a bit of a goody-goody.
As for Necron, I never thought of it like that, but it still seems really random. Maybe Kuja should have been possessed by it or something to bring it slightly less out of the blue.
There could at least have been some subtle references to it, though?

I thought the music in this game kinda appealed more to me compared to other series.. Gameplay's nice too, of course.

I personally loved how the game started. It opened up with a lot of questions. Then as soon I knew who Kuja was (and later that he and Zidane) were related is where I was starting to lose interest. It's been years since I last played so I don't remember much of it but sadly because there wasn't much to remember from it.

I can understand loving this game if VII or IX were your first ones but IMO, it just didn't stand out.

Love it; no doubt.

Probably my #2 favorite game right behind FFX.

The first set of FF forums I ever joined was strictly split into:

FFVIII Lovers/FFIX Haters vs. FFIX Lovers/FFVIII Haters

Seriously, friendships on that site had everything to do with which game you lied and didn't. Stupid in my opinion because everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but I have to say that this is one of my favorite games ever played and every time I look more into the story I find stuff I missed the first time and it sparks my interest all over again like it did 7 years ago.

It's ok I think without those crapy clowns-I forget there gay names-damn I hate them very very very much!

*I personnaly love it! why would people hate it anyways? aside from the cool graphics and amazing story line there are wicked sick characters that are interesting enough to make you addicted to the game :)

*I just love it love it looooove it! final fantasy IX has the classic chibi characters as in final fantasy I and the same class type too,theres Zidane as the Theif,Steiner as the Warrior/Knight,Garnet as white mage,Vivi as Black mage and a few twisted characters just for a new taste eh :)

*weeeeeeeeee Final fantasy IX ROCKS! :)

The first time I played the game, I didn't even bother finishing it because X was close to being released, and at the time I was kind of a snob regarding graphics(still am, in some ways), so when X finally came out and I had my PS2, I gave up on FFIX to play X.

I just bought VIII and IX on ebay, and started replaying IX first(even though I don't have a PS1 Memory card anymore.. ;______; ), and even the first 30 minutes trumps Final Fantasy X, and X-2 in every way, shape and form except graphics.. but I have a better appreciation for the PS1 graphics now that I'm a lot older. LOL.

Certainly my second favorite Final Fantasy game after XII. <3 Love.

i love it ! its true IX beats X but not in 30 mins but within 30 secs for me !
i dont understand why people who played vii and viii say its not good ! i played both and still loved IX ! one of the true greats .

I love this game! It hardly put a foot wrong in any respect whatsoever. If I could complain about anything in this game it would be the crappy Trance system and the rather uninspiring final boss which really is inconsequencial compared to the rest of this beautiful game.

I enjoyed my second hand copy... until my disk broke. But, yeah, I love it, kupo!

Love it! From the PS1 one era, this is by (really, really far) my favorite FF. The story, the characters, the music; everything is so wonderful that some times i still play it just to remember.

Zidane, is without doubt one of the best characters on any FF. He's charming, funny and you can really care about him. Same for Dagger, Vivi, Freya, etc, etc.

Love it, the game was unique and graphic was great. Although, the last trance for Zidane was a bit too powerful. But overall, 10/10

Last edited:
I cannot say I absolutely loved this game but I did like it. The characters were nicely developed and I liked the areas and the story line was done pretty well. =).

I liked it, but something was...missing, maybe the actual "fantasy" part but, all in all, it's a good game.

I loved this game!!!!

It's my favourite of the whole series, mostly because of the way you learned abilities. It made me come back again and again! The character designs looked pretty good considering it was on a ps1, and the storyline was amazing, and fairly different from the last two (7 had my second favourite character die at the end of the first disc, and 8 had squall be too...unconnectable to...). I liked the optional stuff, the chocobo quests were fun, not counting the chocobo music! (The rest of the music was...not so good...)

I like the other Final Fantasy's, but this is my number 1 :D

i don't hate nor love this game, ... i nothing it.

i like it, but to me it seemed like a game for a first time RPGer, or a final fantasy for children. the characters seemed too cartoon like and were almost like charactouers (mis-spelling)of what the original characters would have been in another ff (if you see what i mean :s)

I thought the styling of the characters was great it fitted with the whole feel of the game and allowed it to flick between the light and dark moments more easily without losing anything in the story. The trance system was a bit gash but everything else in the game (even the graphic to be fair were pushing the ps1 to its limit!)
My favourite game so far it had everything for me so many different things to do outside of the main story.... it may bit easier than the other games but theres nothing wrong with having a game you don't have to tear your hair out over every once in a while!!!!!

Back