FFVIII : Love It Or Hate It?

Love it or Hate it?

• Total voters

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
Since FFVIII is one of the two FF games that has a love/hate relationship with fans (the other being FFXII) i thought it would be nice to create a sticked thread about it.

Use this thread to Debate for/against FFVIII and explain why you Love/Hate it.

I love it. I love the way the characters are described(especially Quistis), the universe(some sort of SF) and most of all the storyline. And I love those flying gardes and ,of course, the gunblades(the best weapon so far IMO).

I love it. The only reason it was dissapointing for some people, is the fact that it had a lot to live up to(coming after Final Fantasy VII) and a lot of people felt quite let down.

I despise FFVIII
I hate the main protagonist, there's no depth to the characters, Rinoa's a slut and Seifer's bastardised.
Also, I hate the Junctioning system, what the hell was that about?

I cant say its the best FF I have played but I most certainly do not hate it. The characters are great, the story is great.

I hate it with a passion. And i can't even use the "coming after FFVII" excuse either because i played it as i was playing FFVII. To keep it breif (for now)

the characters have pathetically weak backstorys, almost to the point of non-existance,
The battle system is horrible - it's just GF GF GF GF heal GF GF GF
The main villains totally random, and isn't even in the first 3 disks.
The only thing i like about the story - the Rinoa=Ultimecia theory, isn't even considered canon by some people.

I dont love it nor hate it that´s a bit extreme...

But i do like it so i voted that i loved it.

Second best Final Fantasy that i have played so far.

I LOVE Final Fantasy VII sososo much, the story is sooo amazing, yesterday while playing the game for the 2nd time Aerith died and I started crying yet again. Its just one of those rollercoaster games, that uplifts you or makes you reallyyyy emotional.
I just think it would have been even better with better graphics.. my god imagine Aeriths death in high quality FMV.. *shudder* o_O

Er, this is for VIII not for VII.

The battle system IS NOT just GF GF GF heal or whatever you called it AG. I never seemed to have that sort of problem when I used the system, and not 24/7 did I use summons..

FFVIII isn't one of my favorite FF games but I did like it. I really liked the junctioning system and especially finding out how you can junction certain magic to make your characters badass.

The the characters do have back stories which actually goes along pretty well to the plot if you pay attention to it.

What's with you people and back stories anyways :P

They have boring backstories. Pretty much the majority of the time they have the same old detail in each one. Sure, it MAY fit in, but they're not exactly something to give great credit too ;p

No character is unique at all - not one has outstanding backstory details. Not one is wholly different from the other.

They could have done better with this, and not just have everyone come from the same old orphanage (exc Rinoa in this of course)

Just my thought.

What's with you people and back stories anyways :P

I like my characters to have interesting backstorys, to give an insight to their past and their motivations for going on the journey and why the want to save the world. in FFVIII Squall only seemed to want to save the world because he had to....

I like my characters to have interesting backstorys, to give an insight to their past and their motivations for going on the journey and why the want to save the world. in FFVIII Squall only seemed to want to save the world because he had to....

But they did have a reason. Edea raised them to defeat her one day since she inherited Ultimecia's sorceress powers.

I loved it, I think a lot of people didn't like it because it couldn't hold a candle to VII, I agree with Manbearpig about the junction system though, it was dreadfull.

I think the thing I loved most about the game was the trains, there's just something cool about getting on a train and watching the landscape. I prefere it to airships!

Eh, I'm actually in the process of playing it (I'm right before the mission after Dollet) and while I don't hate it, I just don't feel motivated enough to play it that often (like I did with X and VII). The junction system seems unnecesarily complicated and not at all that interesting. People say that it allows for customization and allows you to make your characters badass. I ask: How is this so? I have a 100 of the most powerful magic you can get at this point in the game and I'm still using my GF's more than physical attacks or magic. Not only because they do more damage than my characters but also because if I use actual magic my stats will plummet. As far as story goes, nothing has stricken me as great. FFX and FFVII had something quite big and interesting happen right at the beginning (Sin's attack on Zanarkand and bombing Shinra's reactor and the whole Cloud being a mercenary and an Ex-Soldier, establishing his connection with Shinra right from the start, which I think is great). But so far FFVIII seems stagnant in the story department. I'll still beat the game but I seriously do hope it gets more interesting.

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS
I dont see how anyone could hate this game I think it was THE VERY BEST FF GAME YET so compelling and great. It allows you to make your characters battle style very flexible. NO GOOD/UNIQUE CHARACTER PERSONALITIES???!!!!???? what version of this are you playing Squall:A kid that likes to be alone beacause his sister died and he had to go to an orphanage. He is furious that people would talk about him in "past tense" and doesnt like to be relied on nor to rely on anyone but himself. he doesnt realize why he is the one in control of all this mess. He eventually opens up to his team members and learns to be a little more trusting.
Is that enough?? Junctioning: a great way to make your characters flexible in abilities and combat tactics. It is great to play the game over and over again and always get a different gameplay. NOT CONFUSING if you actually care to try and learn. Card system: Fun and great side game to play and be interested in. Storyline:Who says the main villain is random??? Edea raised the orphans to some day stop her when she was possesed by ultimecia. In the first half of the disk you are just going on your first SeeD mission And then your target appears to be edea and seifer up until the end of disc 2 where it is revealled that it was always ultemecia who is after ellone which is the reason they have been attacking so therefore your main villain was introduced in disc 1 (as edea but still technically the main villain). I enjoy how you enter dream worlds that are shown to you by ellone. gors rating 1-10 = 10/10 I would say 14/10 if i could.

~Gor

well there were parts of the game i liked. like i liked how the summons aka GFs played a huge role in character skill development. i also liked the way you obtained new weapons, it wasn't extremely hard like FFXII but still provided a challenge.

i didn't like how all of the characters excpet rinoa coincidently came from the same orphanage, that was a little corny. i also wasn't a huge fan of the junction system, or drawing magic and having it in quantities instead of consuming MP.

all in all, i didn't love or hate it, but i guess i'll lean more towards the love side then the hate.

I thought it was great (once i'd got into it) i actually liked the junction system altho it did annoy me when you went to lagunas past and you sometimes had to re-junction everything. I enjoyed the story, even if Rinoa DID always need rescuing, but who does'nt want to get rescued by a hunk on more than one occassion? I think the story was actually quite in depth, and yer fair enough, corny at times but i think it was very much based around love anyways, and i LOVED and always give it a dusting and play it over and over again!

Oh and Squalls sister didn't die Gor, that was Ellone :)

I loved this game, even after it's faults were pointed out repeatedly by people o.0
I think the reason I liked this is because I didn't play it thinking, 'will this be better than FFVII or not?!' I just treated it, as a completely seperate thing.
As strange as it sounds, little details such as the town designs made this game brilliant. Places like Balamb are what seperates this game fromt he rest.

Back