FFVIII : Love It Or Hate It?

Love it or Hate it?

• Total voters
*clears throat*

Whether people like it or not (and there's some loyalists out there which would stone me for saying this), Final Fantasy 7 was the apex of the Final Fantasy series - and it hasn't quite gotten back to that fever pitch since. Whether it was the advancements and opportunities seized by the new technology, the knock-down-drag-em-out advertising campaign that made you want to get your hands on the game, or just a case of the planets aligning, FF7 has been the biggest in the series bar none.

I think this was a big problem for FF8, because no matter what happens, you'd be comparing it directly to it's predecessor. A bigger problem is that I think the developers saw how much people loved FF7, and maybe misinterpreted what it was that caught their imaginations, and ran totally the wrong way with it!

Cloud was kinda dour but at least he was cheeky with a dark sense of humour. Strike 1 for FF8 though was to have a totally humourless, uninteresting prat as a main character. Sure, his design was cool, but as a character Squall has a stillborn personality. When I'm praying that the next time I have a Laguna flashback I stay as him, you know there's something wrong.

Strike 2 for me was Rinoa and the forced "love" theme. I just didn't buy it, and it didn't help that Rinoa was about as captivating on an intellectual level as Squall was (read: not at all, Charlie.)

Strike 3 was the general story. Don't get me wrong, the game had an awesome start. You're dumped into a great setting - a militant Hogwarts School of Wizardry, and an hour or so in you've kicked a Guardian Force's ass and on your way to a thrilling raid on Dollet. I think after the point you've been to Timber it all falls apart. The low point?

OH HEY WE ALL USED TO BE IN AN ORPHANAGE TOGETHER AND OMFG THE SUPPOSED MAIN VILLAINESS WAS OUR HEADMISTRESS!!11 O_O

Give me a break. You also have to love
the slavic speaking out-of-nowhere big bad that appears at the 11th hour. Ultimeci-who?

Dumb dumb dumb dumb.
Also, have of the cast put me to sleep. That includes you, Selphie and Irvine.

What did I like though?
I liked the more realistic character models, and how your party would follow you around in areas. I liked the more realised world - everything seemed more alive and bustling. Great design and detail in most locations. Even the little trains running around the overworld map was alot of fun.
I also liked Quistis. She was the video-game hawtness. I think that's half the reason why I think Squall is a complete and utter knob - why would you brush her off? Then again, even she isn't impervious to the short end of the characterization stick sadly, with her little excuse of liking Squall and then suddenly not just being incredibly hollow. I also liked Zell alot as a character, which I think puts me in a minority. Then again I also thought Fujin and Raijin were awesome. Seifer sadly was more like a much lamer Draco Malfoy.

From an advertising/marketing standpoint, they didn't really pull out the big guns for FF8 like they did for 7. There were a few TV spots but no print blitz at all. I don't think they've ever gone that all out since, sadly (like they should have for FF12).

Overall, just a bunch of bad decisions made FF8 less than stellar. They got the idea that a brooding asshat of a character is what people liked, so they put a fuzzy collared black jacket in a turd and called it a main character. They got the idea that a great love story would hook people in (and this time the girl would actually live), but sadly they just got people wishing that Sephiroth would jump down from a chandelier somewhere and slice Rinoa in half.

Presentation was all top marks, but everything behind the pretty graphics marked a less than fun experience.

Oh yeah, junctioning and DRAWING FOR HOURS sucked.

This was the first Final Fantasy game I played that really got me into the series. It gives me a lot of nostalgia as I got it when it first came out at only 13 years old! I really enjoyed playing this game, and have recently started a new game and realized how much I love it again! I got into a moment where I didn't like it as much as the others, especially VII. I noticed its weak points more. I think its a difficult game to understand, especially if your new to FF/RPG games. The junctioning system was confusing to me at first, then when I played it again I bothered more with it and understood it easily. I did more of the sidequests, explored the world, got everyone's best weapons, etc. Plus I beat Omega, which I'm very proud of!:hyper:

Playing it now more as an adult, I'm more into the story and enjoying it more. It's easier to take in and understand everything. I can't believe how much easier the bosses are to beat now!

So while I do see the weak/silly points to it, I think overall its a great game.
People should stop criticizing it just beacuse its not FFVII!
:wink:

Last edited:
I'm definitly on the love side of the line here. The characters, plot, graphics, and general style or theme were appealing to me. Squall's personality turns some people off but I thought he was realistic (as I know or have met similar people)and made sense motive wise. Rinoa can be a tiny bit annoying every now and then but still is a pretty good character. Personally, I enjoyed the love triangles(or whatever polygon they were)
and the whole orphanage connection thing.
I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of the junctioning system. It's not my favorite FF but it is definitely one of my favorites.

I liked it alot, just reading this topic makes me want to start a new game on it! The boss is a pain in the arse!

I'm in the middle on this game.. It definately wasn't the worst game I've played, but it wasn't the best either. The characters had their moments when I really liked them, and then there were times when I wanted to strangle a few of them. The storyline was good, but it did get boring after awhile. If I had to rank it, I'd say it is my fourth favorite FF game. FFVII and FFIX have much better storylines, as does X. It's a good game, but it's not the best FF ever made.

in my opinion this is the best ff game i have played, there are many side quests that will keep you busy for hours and many boss fights. i will say that it does not have my fav story line because 7 has the best storyline this is just my fav i have beat around 20 times now and i am currently playing through it again.

Obviously Legion doesn't understand sarcasm, as squall definitely is funny. The same can't be said for Tidus nor for Vaan.
I love FFVIII, I could give you all an very long list, but I won't.
It is a great game.

Altough I really don't like the battle system FVIII has, I think it has the best Characters and storyline.
Who just doesn't love the idea of learning magic and to fight in school to take missions and compete with other schools?
So i say I love it :P

Squall thinks so too :squall:

FF 8 wasn't bad or good for me.

I didn't like the fact that you are bound to rely on GFs.

I liked the characters a lot though. Kept me going. :P

Love it.
The poll shocked me cause for the most part it has always seemed to be an underdog game. But it has been my favorite of the series. Laguna more then makes up for anything in this game.

When I first played through FFVIII I hated this game.

As soon as I entered the cave to obtain Ifrit, I couldn't wait for this game to end and me to set it aside and move on to the next game. However, as I neared the end of the game, I started to warm up to it, but not quite all the way.

I wouldn't say I love the game, I just am fascinated on it's unique story that Square Soft brought to the plate. It was a little confusing at first to get a handle on, but after beating it, like FF game I play, I went to any reliable source I could find to go deeper into the plot and try to unravel it.

While I won't go as far as loving the game, it's not on my hit-list for games I hate though.

Love it, because of it's superb story, excellent soundtrack, and great gameplay. This is definitely my second favourite Final Fantasy game, understandably, it's one of the best video games ever made.

Love it. I loved the story-line and music and out of all the Final Fantasy's I've played it would definatly come 2nd place to Final Fantasy 7.

I loved FF VIII. But I have to say, Disc 1 was the highlight for me. Edea was such a great character, and her design still wows me. But it was disappointing to see her as a Villiain cease to be. Ultimecia ruined my dream of Edea being the Big Bad, but I have to say, after some logical probing and quotes that suggested Ultimecia's backstory made her very interesting to me, and I found a new respect for this tacked on Villiain. Other than that the characters were great, a bit cheesey at time but I don't mind. The music was excellent. Overall I loved this game, and was glad to play it.

loved it, still my fav FF game to date, the only FF game i was motivated to finish to.

Mod Edit: Put more effort into your post.

I hate it actually, the characters were annoying really I didn't like a single one except Questist maybe (perhaps I spelled it wrong) and I didn't like the Idea of going to the past and then to the present it annoyed me, but I only liked the part where Galbadia attack Balamb Garden.

love it! epic storyline! Great music! And the best love story of all time! As I always say; Screw Romeo and Juliet, It's Squall Leanhart and Rinoa Heartilly all the way :P
My one problem is all the other party members dont have as much depth, and the battle system can get annoying.

I Love the Final Fantasy VIII because the story is really romantic , between squale and renoa...

Back