FFVIII : Love It Or Hate It?

Love it or Hate it?

• Total voters
love it!!!!!! My first FF and got me hooked on the series so I guess I may be a liitle biased lol! still the love story was WAY over the top but the GF's and junctioning were really good; the story was kewl as was the battle system. Wish Irvine wasn't in it though wat a waste of space...........

I actually liked Irvine. I thought he had a good, although a bit cliche, character background. The fact that he lived in the orphanage with them, though, added to it and made him more unique. His over-the-top ego was a classic cover for the fact that he secretly was afraid of assassinating someone, especially someone with such power. I will admit, I near-despised Irvine when I first played through the game, but I learned to like him and when I started using his limit break is when I actually got attached to him as a character. The backstory with Squall, Laguna, and Ellone was amazing and the story with General Caraway, Raine, Julia, and Laguna was surprising and deep, so it would be very difficult to say that it had no story or ackground. There was plenty, and a lot of it was hiden. The Moombas calling Squall 'Laguna' and the way the Moombas got to know Laguna, etc. The game was well thought out and a wondrous addition to the series.

Meh, somewhere in the middle, probably leaning a little more towards love though.

Loved it for:
-GF system
-Squall/Rinoa/Irvine
-Laguana/Kiros/Ward story
-Futuristic feel being a change of pace
-Balamb Garden/concept of sEEds
-Lots of sidequests
-Assasintation attempt at the end of disc 1
-Ultemicias castle on disc 4
-Balamb vs Galbadia fight

Hated it for:
-Ultemicia, didnt really do it for me as a villan
-Zell/Quistis
-Not focusing/showing Squall and Rinoas relationship more
-Galbadia prison at the start of disc 2
-Time compression plot being too confusing first time around
-Never revealing Ultemicias actual motivation

I really enjoyed 8, personally.

I really enjoyed how realistic it was(character wise at least).

An all human main cast just made the overall experience better for me. FF8 remains my favorite.

I happen to love FFVIII, it has an awsome story, the battle system rules and so do the weapons systems for that matter, and i love the limit break system.

Also, the GF summoning system and the way you can learn abilities from them was a big plus for me! this is my fave final fantasy game ever!!!

Now that Atomos mentions it, I really liked how weapons were achieved in this one. Getting materials to have them designed was a really cool and creative process. I just wish there were more to choose from. A lot more.
Great, I hate it when I start thinking of how a game could be made better because my mind goes crazy with it. Next thing I thought was thought you should be able to give any character any weapon so that Rinoa (or whoever) could use a sword, etc.

That'd be badass.

I love FFVIII, obviously... its by far the most emotional installment, and you have to give the story credit for being so intricate that even the little things give relatively big reactions. Not to mention the whole thing loops at the end... I mean... c'mon... the whole thing is just plainly badass.

This was my first FF, too! It put a very good impression in my mind of RPGs, what with all of the twists and surprises, as well as the FMVs and rich character developments. Of course there are some parts in the game that were less than exciting, but as a whole it is very well done.

i do beleave finaly fantasy xIII will be a great game.
the only thing i can seem to feel about the game is it will be rather short compared some of the greta titles like ffX and ffX-2
i still think i will love it

This was the first FF game i played and i really enjoyed it, especially on disc 3 when seifer beats odin and gilgamesh apears!

Also the GF junction system was awesome but the magic was a bit of a let down.

I think 8 has the best storyline by far. But i kinda hated the whole junction system. Honestly if 8 had a better battle and upgrade system id consider it the best final fantasy

I love FFVIII, far more than I liked FFVII. Squall is my favorite character in the series, and I got more into the storyline with 8 than I did with 7. I enjoyed everything about the game, from the character development, to the romance story, to the music, to the draw/junction system. I thought the junction system was very creative.

I loved this game! Its the first ff I ever played and ever since I've been an addict to final fantasy. Squall can take on Cloud any day baby!

I loved VIII because it had a great storyline, though the Junctioning System made it pawnable. My favorite characters were Squall, Seifer, and Edea, the others were fair except for Irvine who was annoying.

On top of that, every character can be used to beat the game, so the victory does not depends on a single character all the time.

I didn't hate FFVIII, really. Neither was it the best of the series in my opinion.
Of course the graphics were more realistic (in comparison to VII), which was a plus, and I really liked the CG scenes.
I don't necessarily hate the junction system. To me it just seemed like you spent more time actually adjusting, customizing the system hogging attention away from the story line and having a player forget their place, where to go, or what the issue was. The story I found to be interesting: not into the whole love story thing first, save the world second idea, but the characters emoted enough for such ideology to be recognized.
:neomon:

I didn't enjoy Final Fantasy VIII at all, it's probably my least favorite of the series

I didn't like the battle system, nor the way you acquired new weapons, but I admit the story was quite engrossing.

FF VIII is one of the best in the series. In this series I can actually feel the characters develop as the story develops. This was also the game that introduced me into the series.

Square had put effort in this game like many other of the ff classics. It seems like FF games Square develops now are all rushed, and uncreative.

no doubt the laziness came from the enix enterprise.

FF VIII was... Hard to describe in my opinion. The story was pretty cool, I do enjoy the future setting. I liked the characters (most of the time). But FF VIII had one weak point, the Junction system. The Junction system was incredibly painful to me, I found the game almost to easy as long as I kept Squall junctioned with the most powerful magic I could find to his strength. Also I like to be able to cast magic without drawing it or having let me stats go down.

Back