FFVIII : Love It Or Hate It?

Love it or Hate it?

• Total voters
I hate this game :monster:

I didn't like any of the characters except for Seifer, and at times Zell and Laguna. I found the locations incredibly boring, even what's her faces castle at the end and all that. I hated the romance between Rinoa and Squall, it seemed so....fake and even more cheesy than usual for a FF romance.

I despised the Junction and Draw system. I hated drawing for magic, and I didn't like junctioning it to my stats. I understood how it worked, that wasn't the problem. TBH, I didn't find it that hard to figure out at all, it was just tedious.

Plus, like I've always said, there are plot holes, melodrama, and stupid moments in every game in existence, BUT SRSLY, VIII has to have the stupidest plot twist in the history of mankind. I don't care what you say or what other stupidity in other games you can show me or point out, VIII still takes the cake.

Hate it.

I know well how to use Junction system but I think it sucks. I don´t like it at all. I don´t want to waste my precious time to draw magic from monsters. I find also silly that you can draw magic from other humans.

Good Story? No way, like Angel Valentine says many plot holes and one of the stupidest plot twists ever. Since you FFVIII-lovers might not get it what is it, I tell you.
The scene where they remember they all are from same orphanage. Dear God! Is that stupid or what. Think about if one day when you are at school or work and suddenly you remember your schoolmates are from same orphanage as you. Sounds ridicilous, doesn´t it? There are other very stupid scenes like where you have make a band. There are only few good scenes.

Cid and Airship are the worst in the series. Ragnarok is so slow, it takes forever to fly to your destination. Cid is nothing but a coward who should be tossed into prison for leaving his school and children as soon as things go bad.

I liked music, graphics, boss battles, Laguna, Seifer, Rajin & Fujin and at the times Squall, Rinoa, Zell and Selphie.

Oh yes one really stupid scene comes to my mind. During assassination attempt on Edea Quistis, Zell & Selphie have their task but Quistis is so worried she might have hurt Rinoa and leaves her post and why on the hell Zell and Selphie follow her? Wow those guys are really losers.

I simply love this game, it would have to be my favorite game in the entire series. I actually enjoy the storyline, I think it's highly entertaining, filled with lots of awesome twists. I don't get why some people hate it so much, it's certainly not the worst game in the world. It's highly underrated unlike VII which is highly overrated :P. The characters were all great in my opinion (except Irvine.. didn't like him) and the Junction System I liked. I didn't mind having to draw all the magic, it wasn't all that bad. The graphics were quite amazing for their time, they still are quite good to me.

I think it's great! ^_^

It's highly underrated unlike VII which is highly overrated :P.

Underrated? I think the only FF game with more fanboys is VII.

On topic, I hated it. I didn't care for the characters aside from Seifer and Laguna and sometimes Zell and Quistis. I really couldn't stand Squall, Rinoa or Cid. The rest were just meh.

I didn't like the draw or junction system. I found it to be tedious. Also, the game presented no challenge whatsoever.

I also didn't care for the story or the plot twists. Overall, the game was just terribly boring and often very stupid, IMO.

Ohhh I could never hate a FF game......Ok....I do dislike FFX-2. Let me rephrase this, I could never hate a FF game from the main serries. There is nothing bad about FFVIII at all, with the exception of the junction system. I just recently played and beat FFVIII for the first time, and it was amazing, not as good as VII or IX in my oppinion.

I absolutely LOVE this game! Not only are the graphics beautiful, but the characters are lovable (not sure about Rinoa though) and the storyline is amazing.

This is definitely my favourite FF by far. :D

I'm not going to vote because I neither loved or hated it. Hate is a very strong word. Final Fantasy VIII had a great story, beautiful music and memorable characters, however, the thing that bugged me the most was the insultingly easy difficulty, the repetitive and annoying Draw command and the Junction System. The Junction System made my characters uber strong and all I would do is draw healing magic and boost HP. A great deal of the battles were a walk in the park, all I really was required to do was Attack. The only real challenges in the game were Diablos and Omega Weapon. I did love the game, however, it held problems that I just can't overlook so I really am in between. No doubt, however, I would play it again and enjoy it, I just couldn't be asked to Draw again and again.

Loved it. It's PS and the graphics weren't deformed. TT was fun and the GF was better than ever. First time I heard GF I though Squall had a girlfriend lol.

Love it, VIII was by far the best Final Fantasy game in the series, and also the best game ever...lol. The story was actually amazing, well i seem to think so..aside from the fact that they all went to the same orphanage, they still lived different lives after the orphanage. And the way the story developes throughout the game is grand. Also, not only do you uncover one story while playing, you uncover two, by playing as Laguna in the dream world. The sorceress idea i thought was really good to, when you look at Sephiroth and Kuja, there more or less humans..who can come up against a sorceress? Especially one that lives in the future :D!

The Draw/Junction commands were possibly the only minor let down to this game, but only for the simple fact that it was a pain in the arse drawing and drawing throughout a battle. GF's were definately awesome, and the Odin/Gilgamesh idea was brilliant too. Summons/Eidolons whatever you wanna call them always seem to weak in FF games, so you more so have to rely on physical attacks and for elements then magic. But here GF's played a really important part in the battle system, but physical attacks were still very useful, maybe not soo much early in the game but certainly as you progress! GF's also played a part in the story, whereas in FFVII they never at all..And to add, the Gunblade is the best weapon i have seen in any FF yet.

I also dont think it was an easy game..Diablos was a real challenge if you wanted to get him straight after you got the Lamp. Omega Weapon was a real challange too. And i thought the likes of Sephiroth and Kuja/Necron were easy compared to Ultimecia. That machine you fight with the 6 tower things you have to destroy tested my patience alot, cant remember its name, all made of of letters and numbers lol. Also Elvorg or whatever the things name was that you fight on the communication tower in Dollet was a fair hard battle too. Though these are only a few, i havent played the game for a few years.

VIII also had Squall, who in my opinion is the best character to ever be made for any game.

Bah, I had to vote for love it. This is my first Final Fantasy game afterall...

Anyways, for the junction system…. Yes I did like the junction system; it was something new and the involvement with your guardian forces.

Scenery, graphics, towns were beautiful…especially Balamb town.

Characters, I only liked Quistis, Edea and sometimes Zell. The plot was meh, it seemed too immature, high school drama to me. I didn’t really care about Squall or Rinoa romance. Plot was pretty predicable.

I personally dislike this game to be honest - for me its one of least fave games outta the entire FF series.

I love it; it's currently my second-favourite Final Fantasy (X being favourite and not counting XII yet as I haven't finished it) and I adore it. The locations in the game are amazing; I love the blend of small villages and large sci-fi-esque cities. I thought Squall was a bit over-the-top with his coldness at some points, but apart from that I loved the characters.

I got a bit annoyed with the constant change over to Laguna and Co but it by no means spoiled the game for me. A massive selection of summons, (decently) interesting characters, a good story, and good locations make this a brilliant game for me.

GRRRR! The post didn't post because of the server!! *stabs the server that succumbed to senseless stupidity*

I love the game... I was going to select the parts that explain why from my post in another thread, but I'll quote the whole thing. >_< *angry*

Me said:
This is actually my favourite FF game. I do agree that it has “a heavy fantasy aspect with a heavy sci-fi setting” but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I’ll admit I disliked it at first. I found the first couple of hours rather dull and uneventful, which wasn’t good since it was my introduction to Final Fantasy. It was only after playing some of X, X-2, I, II, IX and VII (in that order) that I decided to try it out further. Then I became totally engaged in it!

Plot

I actually really enjoyed it. I felt it had a lot of meaning to it and a few plot twists that I didn’t expect. It didn’t drag on at all, and every addition was clever and well formed. I felt each moment was carefully planned by the producers, and told to perfection. It has to be one of my favourite stories of all time! Full of love, hate, deception, horror, fear, wonder, corruption and pasts that affect every character, it’s one I don’t think anyone should miss.
The side story with Laguna was interesting too, and offered a break from the main plot. At first, I disliked these gaps, but after a while I grew to love Laguna as a character too. So much sweeter than Squall, too. And funnier.

Characters

Despite what people say, I found them all to be rather compelling and unique. Squall was a little moody at first, but as the story progresses you come to learn and appreciate why. Squall had a past that shaped his behaviour in the future. A past that caused him to shroud his heart in ice. I think the whole charm of the story is that Rinoa is able to melt this wall of ice. It's great to see Squall's change. We get to learn of the true person within. The person whom has been kept hidden for safety and to prevent hurt.
Rinoa was a good character too, though a little naïve than the other characters. Some call her spoilt, but I wouldn’t agree with this. I felt she’d been shut out and kept away from everything, over-protected, but not spoilt. Attention seeking, yes, but it was in a more playful way than a spoilt way.
Zell was quite fun to watch, and had some great lines. Quistis was deep and thoughtful, and Selphie was bouncy and somewhat like Rikku from Final Fantasy X. Irvine was good too, and a tiny bit like Zidane what with the flirting. xP

Romance
Maybe it was corny, but I loved it nonetheless. Rinoa did seem to be chasing after Squall throughout the game, but I can’t say I felt the same way about Squall. I thought it developed nicely, and didn’t come on too fast. While some feel that Squall’s feeling changed too fast, I wouldn’t say this is so. I felt he was bottling up his feelings for a long time until he could not hold them back. There’s one scene which is really adorable, but I won’t ruin it. I’ll just say it’s long and includes a lot of walking. xP
Laguna had his own romantic story to tell, too, which was rather sweet. Eyes on Me, the vocal theme, was based around Laguna and his times watching a woman called Julia. The romantic plot here is rather important when learning about the parents of both Squall and Rinoa.

Music
I think FFVIII’s soundtrack is one of the best. There are so many varying moods and atmospheres expressed through the instrumental pieces composed by the one and only Nobuo Uematsu. The music is truly meaningful when you get into the story and listening to it brings back a lot of fond memories. The vocal piece, Eyes On Me, is also well sung and linked to Laguna, as I stated above. I suppose that’s an important note to make, since I used to wonder why it was in the game at all.

Graphics
Considering its time, these were exceptional. Even now, the FMVs are pretty amazing. The FMVs are almost as good as they are today, I’d say. The in-game graphics weren’t flawless, of course, but the proportions were pretty good. The Gfs were more well done than the characters, I felt. The scenery was generally good, but remember it’s only PS1. Don’t expect anything like we have today. =]

Gameplay
Somewhat easier than in the other Final Fantasys. Levelling up was extremely easy, unless you ended up with Squall at 50 and the others at 25-40. The enemies levelled up along with Squall which means it is possible to get to a higher level before even progressing far through Disk 1, though it does make some later battles near to impossible I’ve heard.
Juncitioning magic made some battling quite easy and simple, though the whole method of drawing and casting felt somewhat flawed. Gfs are quite useful in battle, and eventually can even decide between victory and defeat. Exploring and getting from one place to the other was, at times, somewhat tedious with the amount of random battles, but that’s all over once you get the Ragnorak!! Ooh, awesome ship. Very fast, too. =]

I loved this game. It combines the traditional final fantasy with a massive twist. In addition, the characters were very well developed. This and VII are the two that I constantly find myself going back to. It offers a lot of customization if you want it, but it also allows a player to play through without worrying about it.

classic game love it,

ps there was more to this but my internet stuffed up and I got too annoyed to re type it

Noe the severs to busy AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
SERVER

I gotta say hate it. Really, it's more of a love and hate, but there's more things I hate about it then I love it.

The thing that really gets to me is the limit break system. I mean, c'mon, who wants to constantly have atleast one character at critical health only to be able to use their limit at random (not including the spell that lets you use it more often). Also, having to constantly draw in order to get spells gets really annoying. I tend to fight a long battle and constantly draw when I could have killed the monster 20 minutes ago. The junction system is annoying in the sence that you can't risk using any of the awesome spells you have in your stats, without taking major stat penalties.

The one thing that does stand out as impressive is the junction system (despite what I just said lol). With other FF games, the characters' stats were to similar. With this, my characters are really different. I could be pretty low level and have way, WAY better characters then my high level friend. And, it is just plan fun to mess around with the combos.

i loved it mainly because of how close it matched previous settings from the ff universe

Back