FFXI - Worth Getting?

Well hey there guys!

I really enjoyed reading reviews for FFXI a couple of years ago when it first came to PS2, but being in Greece and never liking MMORPG's on PC's and stuff i had to wait untill PS3/XBOX360 get here :P

Well i'm looking forward to answers in those questions :) :

1. I'm owning a Xbox360 atm. If i get FFXI Online i will still have to pay more to play the game? That would really suck cause i just hate Credit Cards,Banks and to find a Prepaid card whatever would be hard...
2. Does anybody know how many gamers are playing this game or wich server is more populated?
3. I'm really looking forward to dive in the world of FFXI and in addition to a guy's post a couple of pages before... it might be late to get that game but what the heck :P
I'm going to encounter a lot of FFmaniacs there, lots of interesting people and play a really good game!
4. What Add-ons have been released? I'm too lazy to have a search on them!

I'm looking forward to an answer as i'm willing to play this game and make it an everyday hobby ;)

Well hey there guys!

I really enjoyed reading reviews for FFXI a couple of years ago when it first came to PS2, but being in Greece and never liking MMORPG's on PC's and stuff i had to wait untill PS3/XBOX360 get here :P

Well i'm looking forward to answers in those questions :) :

1. I'm owning a Xbox360 atm. If i get FFXI Online i will still have to pay more to play the game? That would really suck cause i just hate Credit Cards,Banks and to find a Prepaid card whatever would be hard...
2. Does anybody know how many gamers are playing this game or wich server is more populated?
3. I'm really looking forward to dive in the world of FFXI and in addition to a guy's post a couple of pages before... it might be late to get that game but what the heck :P
I'm going to encounter a lot of FFmaniacs there, lots of interesting people and play a really good game!
4. What Add-ons have been released? I'm too lazy to have a search on them!

I'm looking forward to an answer as i'm willing to play this game and make it an everyday hobby ;)

1. Yes, theres a monthly fee no matter which system you play on.

2. about 500k people, all the servers have about the same amount of players, but Odin is overpopulated(bad thing).

3. You should download the 14day trial first to see if you like it.

4. There are 4 expansion packs out now, The 2008 collection includes all of them.

Thanks Sugosuke for your reply ^_^

So are there any Prepaid cards that i can get or order from places? :S
And how much is it?
Sorry but i'm kinda lazy to search the 1nt3rnetz >_<
And i'm definetely going to love it so leave aside the Trial :P

Last edited:
Thanks Sugosuke for your reply ^_^

So are there any Prepaid cards that i can get or order from places? :S
And how much is it?
Sorry but i'm kinda lazy to search the 1nt3rnetz >_<
And i'm definetely going to love it so leave aside the Trial :P

There are no prepaid cards, and it cost $12.95(US) a month.

You could have found that answer easily with a search though, and its probably in this very thread more than once.
If you're too lazy to do a simple search... you probably will not love FFXI.

There are no prepaid cards, and it cost $12.95(US) a month.

You could have found that answer easily with a search though, and its probably in this very thread more than once.

Heheh, i got that one :P

Well no prepaid cards? That's really bad...
Guess there's no playing the game...
Why they have to charge it like that on Xbox360 when you 're already paying for Gold Membership?
Geez...

Heheh, i got that one :P

Well no prepaid cards? That's really bad...
Guess there's no playing the game...
Why they have to charge it like that on Xbox360 when you 're already paying for Gold Membership?
Geez...

Because you're paying Microsoft for that.
Square enix does not get a penny of your xbox live payments, FFXI does work with Xbox-live Silver though.

That's exaclty the reason why i hate Square in that situation ... and why i admire her at the same time :woot:

Hmm, guess i 'll stick with any Trial versions that may come in my hand who knows...
Thanks for your answers though! :)

It depends on where you live with the payment right?
If you live outside Europe you will have to pay with the Dollar currency. But if you live inside Europe, you will have to pay with the Euro currency.

It depends on where you live with the payment right?
If you live outside Europe you will have to pay with the Dollar currency. But if you live inside Europe, you will have to pay with the Euro currency.

Yes, that's definetely correct ;)

I second that...not meaning to sound rude because i'm not but that couldn't be any farther from the truth.

FFXI is really time consuming to do stuff in it and you need to be tolerant and patient in alot of things...but its fun despite the hard times you will have with it but atleast these days its almost effortless to level up because of the level-sync Square implemented which means you can level anywheres without any worries of camps being overcrowded or mobs giving too low exp...

Last edited:
Sorry to inform you, but you are speaking about the wrong game.

This is Final Fantasy XI, an MMORPG. Which is played online with many others.

Surely you meant to talk about Final Fantasy X-2

I miss this game so much. Damn cant beleive if its been 3 years since i played Bring on FFXIV!

I Really do like this game and want to get far in it but i can never get past the beginning.. I always get to level 10 But then it feels empty so i start over again. Ive heard that once you get to a high enough level its fun.. but right now the game seems more like work then a game.

it depends on you game preference. if you like mmorpgs, then yeah it is worth getting, otherwise, i dont think so. its not like the others where its just you and the party of the game, its you and thousands of other players playing the same game. if you are a gamer who likes to play by themselves, then you should not get this, otherwise, yes

I haven't read this entire thread but I read on here about using a controller and how much better it can be. I have a Xbox 360 controller, could I just plug this in and most of the controls are done on that?

I might give this a go if I don't have too many controls to master. I know it sounds lazy but usually with MMORPGS by the time I got to grips with everything the trial ends and I haven't really got into the game. If I could play every day it would be fine but trying to fit it in between work on a trial period is hard.

At the time of my posting, I would say this:

If you like doing storylines (Mostly quests, and a few easy missions) a bit, and hanging out and trying out new random things, then yes, hop on XI and play for a while.

If you like grinding and getting lots of people to play together and beat up large bosses... well... do you have an old account? Oh, you're brand new... well then, no, don't come to XI as you'll be beyond bored and frustrated with every tiny little thing.

I've started a new character on a new server because I lost the password to my old account, and after 2 weeks... I want to yell so bloody much. It's great for fighting NMs, but horrible for actually getting anything done anymore. For the first time in my FFXI career, my honey and beehive chips did not sell within the 9 Vana'diel weeks the AH allows... I was stunned.

What GBJoker said +1

I believe FFXI is more oriented towards end game. Haven't plaid it for 3 years now but I was on it since the JPrelease.

They barely released any early game content from what I can remember, and the only reason why I tolerated the game is because when I started it everybody was low and nobody had any end gear which made the anticipation so much better. Friends and I were able to level up without a care of what others were doing. Furthermore, when I had reached level 60-65 (that was the cap when the game came out), you were able to level up patiently knowing that you had a badass character that you were able to raid with.

So to say the least, FFXI is more endgame based and if you have no patience talking to 5000 npcs and being gil-less and baring with the worst gear. BUT --- if you enjoy playing rpgs in your bubble and willing to do the quests as they are, the game is worth it and could be one of the better story-line/adventuring games many will have vouched to play.

Ok, so I tried a 14-day trial out with this game. I've never been so quickly turned away from a game. I'm not one to complain about graphics in a game but these just didn't do it for me. The music was lacking as well, not to mention the controls were hideous. I didn't even know how to properly exit the game, I had to ctrl+alt+delete my way out of that atrocity. I'd much rather buy the game to play Tetra Master >.>

A lot has changed this week including the merging of several servers into each other. Population is back and there is tons of new fix and mods out there with the update.

FFXI is still a big game mmo but who could not enjoy a server full of a few thousand FF fans who you could ride chocobos with or fly on huge airships. Fact of the matter FFXI is almost old school FF now and that is its charm. There is even a new CD of music for the game coming out soon.

I would try it out now while the things are fresh and people are enjoying. I have 800+ days play time on my main character and 200 more on my mule. I am going back after a break of 5 months just to enjoy the fun it was before 14 comes and kills it for good.

Back