FFVIII - Worth Getting?

Stay on topic please, people, and keep the chit-chat posts to a minimum if you don't mind. This is a post count section and posts are therefore expected to reflect this.

I suppose it depends what kind of games you like. For me VIII is one of the best I have ever played, with a great story and gameplay, intesresting sidequests and numerous strategies to beating it. I think it gets a lot of unfair critique because VII was so popular, but I preffered VIII. Not only does eight look a lot better, I actually found the characters more realistic, the storyline on par, if not better, and the world more beautiful and interesting. This is all my opinion of course, and I'm sure I'm a minority considering all the raging VII fans.

The graphics, being that it's a ps1 game, are not fantastic or amazing by todays standards, but they're certainly better than almost all other ps1 games. And even now, I find myself going back to this game over newer ones continuously.

A lot of people don't like the junction system, but I loved it - again, it's up to personal taste. I found that it lent itself well with the fact that as you level up, so do your oponents. It made a lot of side-quests (cards, GF hunting) worthwhile rather than just something to do instead of grinding. Yes, it sometimes means spaming 'draw' or playing cards or running around a draw point. But I don't see what's so different than spending hours grinding battle after battle.

For me it's the story that I come back for. Yes, there are times when you find yourself thinking 'really? where did this come from?' but on a whole it has so much depth, so much development for the characters and so much twists that I love it anyway.

Xx..xX

I know this is pretty late but if anyone is still looking at this thread, I'd say FF8 is definitely worth playing just because Squall as a character is very different than the other protagonists. He is not as heroic as others and its interesting to see how he becomes one. Also the gameplay and music is amazing.

This is prob one of those game that is not for everybody so do take cautious steps when deciding whether you'll buy it or not. It is VERY different from every single games i have played, but by far one of the most impressive in terms of story depth. It is one of those story that proves gaming's story telling can be matched with other form of art, after all i play the game for the story.

Today, I would say no, the graphics are quite unbearable by today's standards, this upsets me as I'm all for gameplay over graphics, but its like when you ask someone if they prefer looks or personality and they say all personality, there always has to be some sort of physical attraction.

If you can look past the graphics then yes defiantly, it has a beautiful romantic story, wild and interesting characters and as with all Final Fantays its really long. The battle system isn't brilliant and the drawing magic system is a little flawed, but again if you can look past these issues I can safely say it is worth the time to play through it.

For me, VIII is not worth getting. I've already wrote my opinion about Loving or Hating it, so I won't repost everything here in detail.

I think the story is boring, characters are boring (except Squall and his awesome gunblade), it feels like a high school drama because all the playable characters are practically the same age; and in my opinion, the worst magic and ability system of all the Final Fantasy games. It's too complicated and takes too long to get what you want. And Triple Triad is one of my most dreaded minigames to play, especially since it's required to get some good or necessary items.

So it's definitely not for me. I'm only going to complete it for the sake of completing it, not because I believe it is awesome.

EDIT: The story would be better if the most of the characters were actually decent. Again, I say Squall is the only good one.

I'd say no. This game is entirely skippable. Even though I don't really like the game, I still feel like a person isn't missing much at all by deciding not to buy it. Although if you're a collector like me, then by all means, pick it up!

I personally recommend this game, however it really depends on what type of games you like. Like many FF's (and many rpgs's in general) random battles can become annoying when you are back tracking or trying to get somewhere, and the only ability to halve or eliminate random encounters are available on a semi-optional GF you get somewhat early in the game, but it takes a while to get enough AP to learn them. So if you tend to be impatient I would not recommend it. Also, some people may not like the draw and junction magic system.
However, the game does make it nearly impossible to over-level, since enemies (bosses included I believe) level along with you. The game is four disks so it is fairly long, and it has a fair amount of romance in it for those who like that kinda of thing, however I didn't ever think it became TO mushy (although some may disagree.) In terms of extra content it has a card game that is addicting, along with a few extra bosses and GF's. However I believe this is a great game, and I think it is a game that fans of the franchise, and rpgs in general, will find worth their time.

I say yeah.

It has a good romance plot, lovable characters expect Squall *opinion he's a ass * great musical soundtrack and so much more.

The storyline is a little messy though and the Junction system is either something you adore or loathe. The card game is very entertaining and you could spent hours, just collecting rare cards. It's a fun game, with heaps of jokes though it knows when to be serious. I loved Rinoa, she's a wonderful heroine and so brave expect not having the army training the others had. The villian while most say that she's a disappointment, I have to disagree. She 's been there since the beginning, using Edea and Seifer and then later affecting Squall and Rinoa's lifes for the worst. She's a puppet master, and she's a change from Sephiroth and Kefka who before her, where more villains that stayed on the front lines and did their evil work in the open. Though sitting behind the scenes holding the strings, is not a letdown.

The graphics have kind of aged since 1999, though they're still holding up compared to other PlayStation games also made around that era.

It's worth a pick up, though it does have a few flaws. Though I haven't played a Final Fantasy yet that has been 100 per cent perfect.
:P

I know a lot of my friends hated VIII. I can see why they would as well seeing as it came right after VII which was reallllly popular. I personally loved it for what it is. I though the Gardens and the more serious-looking character style was a nice touch and I really enjoyed the story. Tbh though I don't think my opinion would count for much unless your like me :P I've loved every Final Fantasy I've played except XII and XIII :(

I loved this game to death! I loved the card game, the limit breaks, and the junction feature... MY GOD, THE JUNCTION FREAKING FEATURE!!!!! I love this game so much that it would take me hours to explain why I think it is the best game to ever be created. Also, the story is, and always will be, my favorite of all time. Just mind blowing.

I loved this game to death! I loved the card game, the limit breaks, and the junction feature... MY GOD, THE JUNCTION FREAKING FEATURE!!!!! I love this game so much that it would take me hours to explain why I think it is the best game to ever be created. Also, the story is, and always will be, my favorite of all time. Just mind blowing.

Signed!
Definitely worth buying!!!:)

definitely. it is an amazing game. maybe a bit slow at times but the characters and plot are more than engaging enough to keep you going. the only thing that bores me with this game is some of the very jazzy sounding tracks of the game. the music, at times, becomes so sleep-inducing and boring that i've actually fallen asleep annoyed :lew: other than that, it's a great game and i think you'll miss out if you don't play it.

Back