FFVIII - Worth Getting?

I loved VIII. I will admit, the drawing was annoying as hell but once you got over that it was an amazing game. I loved the story. Some of the characters were meh, but there were definatly awesome ones. The GF's were creative and looked awesome. Oh, and we cannot forget the music, which I think was better than VII's over all soundtrack.

In my opinion, the battle system is tricky at first, and especially if you played final fantasy 7 first, but after a while you get used to the junction system and can use it to your advantage.

And in my opinion its the best storyline for me, although the one thing that really bugged me was that the story mainly focused on Squall, the only bit of past you hear about from the other characters is the whole orphenage bit. we practically hear nothing else about there lives, unlike final fantasy 7 where we see flashbacks (yeah they can get annoying but its proves good insight). however other than that i loved the story

When you can go on ebay and get it for two dollars and it keeps you wanting to play it for hours and hours i say hell yes it is worth it

Worth getting? Definitely! Simply because of the game play. The story is amazing in my personal opinion, but what really did it for me was the all the junction stuff that you can do to make your characters super powerful depending on the situation your in. Also the game isn't really that complicated if you follow the story, even if you don't really know what your doing you will still have fun.

the drawing idea was a decent addition to the game, but there was the case that after you got Ifrit, you could turn your characters into uber-attackers right from the start by drawing magic from enemies, using Quezacotl's Mid Magic Refine and junctioning 100 Fira's to strength, and then 100 Cura's to HP to get a massive early advantage on the HP & STR front before even starting off in the game.
Definately a decent game in the series though, Triple Triad kept me occupied for hours on end, one of the best mini-games in the series by far in my opinion, and the split in stories is a nice little touch as well.

I liked FFVIII, wasnt my favorite but it wasnt a game I hated. I enjoyed it for the most part and loved playing it.

This was the first FF game I ever picked up and I never regretted it. Sure, I didn't like half the characters, but the story is interesting and the graphics during FMV's stunning (compared to FFVII fer example)

I personally say it's worth getting because it's magic system is unique compared to the others in the series. Also, it's an interesting story and is actually quite a long, engaging game. If you haven't played it, do so! you won't regret it. :gasp:

Bottom line to me it is worth getting...I love it. Story is great,Graphics are better then FFII's, Battle system is classic. I am just a fanboy of this game though so yeah i admit that. Anywas....I say its worth getting. =D

It IS worth getting, but the drawing is annoying as hell and the characters are not all that great. Especially Squall, who is a great character stand-alone, but just doesn't work as main character.

Well, I would say no since hopefully it will be remade with better graphics, but since it is such a classic and it can be bought pretty cheap I would definitely say yes. This is a very enjoyable game, and if you enjoy Final Fantasy you will like this game. The only down-side to this game is the same to most PSONE Final Fantasy games. The graphics. If you are used to XBOX360/PS3 graphics, or even XBOX/PS2 graphics, you aren't going to enjoy the graphics on this. While the storyline is great, the characters are great, and the game itself is great, its graphics are no where near top notch. However, you can probably buy this game for less than $10. Also, there aren't many copies left being sold in stores. If you can find a new or used one, get it. Especially if it is new, but even if it is used. I believe they have stopped making PSONE games, but there may still be a few new copies if you look hard enough. If not, go to a GameStop or GameCrazy or a store that sells new and used games and grab a copy. Even if it is remade, familiarize your self with this game so you will be ready for it to come on another system.

I personally loved this game and I personally find it to have one of the best replay values of all the final fantasy titles because of the shear volume of things to do. The sidequests are amazing and the card battling in FFVIII is one of my favorite mini-games and the fact that the cards can be refined into useful items (some of the most useful in the game) makes it well worth the effort. A definite buy in my book.

Yes, it is worth getting. I thought the junction system was really original, at the beginning it confused me but once you learn how to use it, it really makes the battles flow easily. :D The summon scenes were cool and I always wanted to boost the GFs more than the last time, so it was kind of a challenge everytime I summoned one. What I mean is, the gameplay is good, the magic system in this game was cool, with limited magic instead of the classic MP gauge (and the ability of drawing magic from your enemy and casting it against him! :D), very nice sidequests (specially PuPu ^^), cool GFs, good character development (Squall's specially) and such. Not my favorite FF game, but it's in my top 3. Definetly worth getting.

It's one of the best FF's there is, as long as you get the hang of it, there shouldn't be any problems.

it's worth it. It's a game I'd play again if I had it. Storyline is very good and very in depth. And for what it is for what it was back then, it was one that 2nd FF7. Heres what i think FF7>FF8>FFX. ff8 is pretty awesome and those damn card games can get damn addictive!

FFVIII is more than worth it. I've played the PC version and it's not as bad as the poster above made it out to be, and certainly not the porting disaster that was FFVII on the PC. I actually had the PC version of VII but my computer at the time wouldn't run it, and by all accounts I had a lucky escape. It's my favourite FF game after VII (I've played VI, VII, VIII, X and X-2; I have IV and IX but haven't yet played them) - though the graphics are as far from cutting-edge as you'd expect from a game that's 10 years old it's aged a lot better than many of its contemporaries. I replayed it recently and it took over my life in the way very few games manage to do.

Yes get it. It's a great game. I like the story a lot, and its setting (medieval times). It's a must own for any FF fan, or any RPG player.

*speaking on the PS version, since I've never played the PC version*

Sure it is. :monster:

I mean, this is my favorite FF game of all of them, so naturally I'd recommend it to anyone. The story is great, battle system is fairly intuitive and it's just an overall great RPG experience.

The only issue I'd warn a prospective buyer about is in regards to the Junction system, which can be a little hard to master at first. Make sure that you pay attention to the tutorial...and ask around if you're confused early on. Otherwise, I think anyone will enjoy this game...may not be your favorite, but it's worth having. :wacky:

Back